Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

For me I like seeing who voted for my image, I don't pay attention to who didn't vote for any of mine in past contests. There are several posters here who I really respect as Photographers and feel they have skills far beyond mine, if they happen to vote for an image I post, it really makes my day. If not... I totally understand because 99.9% of the time I don't like whatever I enter as much as someone elses image either. For me personally it doesn't make a difference if an online friend votes for my image or a different image. I would HOPE people vote for the best image, not the person who took it and entered it.

Seeing what image is entered by whom doesn't bother me either. I vote for the entry, not the person who entered it. The regular posters I mention above that I respect to most on this forum, it actually works against them because they better bring their "A" game to the table. A second class image from them may very well be a once in a lifetime capture for the rest of us, so I do take the skill level into consideration to a point.

Mostly though it is strictly: composition, adherence to theme, exposure, etc... that determines which image I vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
For me I like seeing who voted for my image, I don't pay attention to who didn't vote for any of mine in past contests. There are several posters here who I really respect as Photographers and feel they have skills far beyond mine, if they happen to vote for an image I post, it really makes my day. If not... I totally understand because 99.9% of the time I don't like whatever I enter as much as someone elses image either. For me personally it doesn't make a difference if an online friend votes for my image or a different image. I would HOPE people vote for the best image, not the person who took it and entered it.

Seeing what image is entered by whom doesn't bother me either. I vote for the entry, not the person who entered it. The regular posters I mention above that I respect to most on this forum, it actually works against them because they better bring their "A" game to the table. A second class image from them may very well be a once in a lifetime capture for the rest of us, so I do take the skill level into consideration to a point.

Mostly though it is strictly: composition, adherence to theme, exposure, etc... that determines which image I vote for.
My sentiments EXACTLY! You took the words out of my mouth. What could be a better motivator than have posters whose skills are far better than yours vote for your entry? To me, that's the best validation that you are getting something right.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
That's my answer, after post # 72, above?
Wow! Everytime I leave town for a few days, the conversation around here gets interesting!

Aren't you being a little hard on Rich? IMO, he's doing a heckuva job running these contests. He acknowledged your comments and encouraged feedback from others. The majority of commentors were aware that names were public and have no opposition. Besides, what you said in #72 was "I don't want to interfere with the contests and the fun here, so I'll just watch them and enjoy." Are you suggesting that comment should make him change how things are done? You already know why I like to see the names, and personally, I'm glad that Rich decided to continue with the current protocol.

Jump on in and join us. I'll bet you'll enjoy it. If you're not yet comfortable showing your vote, at least submit a few pics in the contests. I think you'll find there's a good bunch of folks around here.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:53 PM

556 posts, read 788,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is for me. I will drop the contest in a heartbeat if I have to.

Rich
You do a great job of moderating these contests Rich and I like to see the votes.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Thanks Rich, I may have to go back into my flickr account and see if that was turned off by accident. I stopped using it when all the exif data stopped being imported with the image. I bet I either checked or unchecked something.
Old reply but, I have had problems with many/all of the uploaders I have tried with Flickr change or omit certain descriptions, exif and IPTC/NAA data. (I did some testing)

So the only uploader I use is the basic one http://www.flickr.com/photos/upload/ (broken link) It's not that bad...

Rich

Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Voting is a really tough decision sometimes! There are some excellent choices for December, and I was hard pressed to choose favorites in the two contests. Great job, everybody!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:17 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
There appears to be an issue with "count" on polling numbers. TheDragonSlayer's best shot has four votes but the count is showing up as only three.

That said, I've to agree with PJ8... picking one was next to impossible, so I flipped coins.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
There appears to be an issue with "count" on polling numbers. TheDragonSlayer's best shot has four votes but the count is showing up as only three.
Someone voted for themselves which they are not supposed to do so I reduced the total count, I can't alter the names etc....

Rich

Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Default Theme Contest

There've been some good comments in here recently regarding the contests and how to improve 'em. I'd like to toss a thought on the table for discussion.

For the few times I've been fortunate enough to suggest a theme, I always find myself fighting with the uncomfortable issue of whether I subconsciously picked a particular theme because I already had the "perfect picture" in mind, in other words am I suggesting a theme that may be to my own benefit? I guess the question I'd like to pose is whether the person who selected the theme this month should be excluded from this month's voting. It would be fine for her/him to submit a photo, but the mod would not include it when creating the poll.

Honestly, I don't know for sure where I stand on the issue, feeling strongly both ways. Any thoughts?

BTW - the bar has already been set high for this month's contest - two excellent photos.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I think it's fine that the theme selector enters the next contest. It's natural to suggest something that appeals to you. I don't think it necessarily means that you have an advantage already because you can imagine that perfect shot. As always, one never knows how the poll will turn out...besides, I like your shots. It would be a pity to not see one more good entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests