Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 11:37 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times

Advertisements

Looking for a good book or essay about how to prepare to die. I already read Phaedo and frankly found it kind of laughable. Anyone who deals with death by pretending that it's not real is not serious IMHO. I liked Tuesdays with Morrie better but it didn't really give me much to work with. Has someone already looked at the major traditions around the world and distilled their wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2023, 01:39 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Looking for a good book or essay about how to prepare to die. I already read Phaedo and frankly found it kind of laughable. Anyone who deals with death by pretending that it's not real is not serious IMHO. I liked Tuesdays with Morrie better but it didn't really give me much to work with. Has someone already looked at the major traditions around the world and distilled their wisdom?
how about We Don't Die, by George Anderson. www.georgeanderson.com or Many Lives, Many Masters by Dr. Brian Weiss, www.brianweiss.com

Both excellent reads, more real life experiences about death than made up stuff like Tuesdays with Morrie.

Old 12-24-2023, 01:46 PM

170 posts, read 74,050 times
Tibetan book of living and dying,it gives tell tale signs of death and how to reincarnate.

Old 12-24-2023, 03:18 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
how about We Don't Die, by George Anderson. www.georgeanderson.com or Many Lives, Many Masters by Dr. Brian Weiss, www.brianweiss.com

Both excellent reads, more real life experiences about death than made up stuff like Tuesdays with Morrie.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:53 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
I don't believe in reincarnation or life after death. I might be interested in reading about these topics later, but right now I'm looking for ideas from thinkers who also accept that death is real and not survivable. I'm not concerned about grief or reconnecting with loved ones who had already gone, just a respectful treatment of what being a mortal being means.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:07 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Try Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanthi.

It's an account from a doctor who has contracted Stage 4 cancer, and he gives a very practical and two-sided (from a healthcare/scientist) perspective of death. I've recommended to anybody who has cancer. They typically don't like it because he does in fact die, but it's a phenomenal read.

I liked it better than Tuesdays with Morrie.

Old 12-25-2023, 10:51 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
I read a book as a teenager, “death be not proud” by John Gunther. I had lost a brother in a tragic accident a few years earlier and I was trying to understand death and especially young people’s death. It was a very difficult read, but also therapeutic for me. My mom read it also and we had daily discussions about it. My dad could not read it. ( he never talked about my brothers death, the rest of his life and he lived to be 81)

I hope this book helps you in some way.

Old 12-25-2023, 11:18 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I just ordered a copy of "A Graceful Farewell", by Maggie Watson to help me get my affairs in order.

Old 12-25-2023, 11:50 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
I had a great sociology class in the '80s, Death and Dying. IIRC Kubler-Ross's book Death and Dying was pretty good.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:16 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
How about NDE, or temporary death experience books? Might point to the often-reported wonders on the other side. They seem to uplift a lot of people. So, less on the death matter, and more on the transition matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy