Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 05:05 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times

Advertisements

what is the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 07:13 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I agree about leaving people alone, but when I make that decision, it is because the other person has explicitly told me to leave them alone. Or if it is communicated by body language or tone, I will say something like "based on your actions/tone, it seems like you want me to leave you alone. Am I correct?"

I know several relatives, older ones, who will say they want to be left alone, but then be upset because they were left alone. I would rather they be upset because I held them accountable through their words or because they didn't like the direct questions. This will allow us to start at a place where the facts are known and allow me to fall back on it when the other person starts drifting away from that point.

Then end result is that words have meaning. To say, "oh, that person just wants to be left alone" without that person being explicit about it is just a mind reading game.
There's a difference to the meaning of "Leave me alone" when you are telling someone how they should live or think or act, and someone who just wants to retreat from the world. You need to learn context. If you are "trying to help" someone and they say "leave me alone" it means your help is not the help they need. If you just want to chat with someone who you think has nothing better to do and they say that, it still needs context, maybe they are busy, in some emotional turmoile they want to resolve, or maybe they just don't like you, or hate everyone. Context is neccessary as well as compassion.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:12 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
There's a difference to the meaning of "Leave me alone" when you are telling someone how they should live or think or act, and someone who just wants to retreat from the world. You need to learn context. If you are "trying to help" someone and they say "leave me alone" it means your help is not the help they need. If you just want to chat with someone who you think has nothing better to do and they say that, it still needs context, maybe they are busy, in some emotional turmoile they want to resolve, or maybe they just don't like you, or hate everyone. Context is neccessary as well as compassion.
Yes. I agree.

My general rule of thumb is that I give the "helpful" advice once or I ask if I can do something for that person, and then don't bring it up again. So communicate first, then act if all parties are in agreement. I can't think of a time when somebody told me explicitly leave them alone when I was trying to help them because I followed my own rule. Perhaps it is the result of not being very imposing.

But what I have experienced is people feeling uncared for because I followed my rule too closely, so I've made adjustments there.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:57 AM

5,458 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Really watch the movie Babel with Brad Pitt. A kind gesture changed the life of one person and almost lead to a death. The person of course did not know anything if it. It had consequences across continents.

Kind of like telling a tourist of a good place to eat than hearing there was a shooting there and the person was killed.

A great way to live in just mind your own business.
Can't stay sane while living with an undue fear of unintended consequences.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:25 AM

1,055 posts, read 546,048 times
Don't pester single people to get married. My interpretation.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:43 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Can't stay sane while living with an undue fear of unintended consequences.
Yes, or trying to base reality on the movies.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
I think it would be a very boring world if everyone left everyone alone.

For better or worse, humans are emotional beings that are hard-wired to be tribal by nature. Although I agree that in modern society, it's a good rule of thumb to try to not butt-in where not invited, we are naturally inclined to do so because it enhances the tribe's survival. So yes, it's tricky.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:15 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
I sense there is a lot of context missing here. If you are talking in general terms say, with public interaction, yes it's best to leave most people alone, especially if they are not asking/seeking help, or responding to an inquiry.

Known personal friends or family may be a different story depending on what is prompting you to help / intercede / ask etc... However, once said person indicates they don't want your help / opinion / solution to a perceived problem , then yes, take them at their word and move on and leave them plow through it themselves. It is analogous to that concept of people not hearing the message from those close to them and often needing it from an outsider.

If it is adults wanting to live their own way and not abide by some paradigm sold as to 'how people should live' and they are a) self sufficient b) function with those in society well when they have to c) are not harming or putting others at risk by actions / behaviors and simply want solitude, by all means leave them alone.

As someone who has spoken to social service workers at various times, many individuals do not want help and there's not much you can do other than leave them alone and educate them of options should they eventually seek help. I recently saw data that the 'resistant' population (homeless) often need about 100 interaction before they will be receptive. So, unless you are a social worker, and it is your livelihood, yes, leave most people alone.

If you are encountering negative responses in a public realm, you may have difficulty reading people (face / body language etc..) not sure what the full context is here, but sometimes self education on understanding these type things may help save you from unease in interactions.

FWIW

Last edited by ciceropolo; 11-21-2023 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-22-2023, 03:24 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
quite simply-
No man is an island.

We are tribal. Thus the community aspect.
We are autonomous- Independent aspect

Our personal boundary vs our community boundary are sometimes overlapping.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:27 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I agree about leaving people alone, but when I make that decision, it is because the other person has explicitly told me to leave them alone. Or if it is communicated by body language or tone, I will say something like "based on your actions/tone, it seems like you want me to leave you alone. Am I correct?"

I know several relatives, older ones, who will say they want to be left alone, but then be upset because they were left alone. I would rather they be upset because I held them accountable through their words or because they didn't like the direct questions. This will allow us to start at a place where the facts are known and allow me to fall back on it when the other person starts drifting away from that point.

Then end result is that words have meaning. To say, "oh, that person just wants to be left alone" without that person being explicit about it is just a mind reading game.
This reminds me of an office where I used to work. Many northerners moved in when our companies merged. Some were good people, like anyone else. But a handful were very snooty and distant. I would speak to some of them and barely get a response. Later, they would want to be social and I didn't have time for them. Being quiet and being snobby are 2 different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy