Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the cost of parties should be capped or controlled?
Yes, by self-control 5 33.33%
Yes, sometimes by mature social pressure 2 13.33%
Yes, in the case of children's parties by the school or religious institution 2 13.33%
Let the good times roll (or "no") 4 26.67%
Everyone, post away! 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 01:36 PM

35,124 posts, read 17,080,545 times

Advertisements

I could make a case for this being in Parenting, Politics and Other Controversies, Psychology or here, so the four sided coin toss wound up in Philosophy.

I know, I know I make a big deal about people that criticize consumption and having fun, this is over the line, see It’s a Toddler’s Party. How About a $75,000 Budget? Same with over-the-top weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, some requiring second mortgages. I'll admit to being a bit of a hypocrit; our older son's Bar Mitzvah wasn't a blowout but i wasn't totally frugal.

I think many of these events are designed to "keep up with the Joneses" or the Kardashians. This article, in this morning's paper did set me off. How does a six-year old even appreciate this?

Now granted, this is not solely an upper-class or upper middle class problem. About twelve or so years ago, in late November, I was in a Walmart in White Plains picking up a birthday gift for my wife. There was a woman pushing a cart heaping with gifts, surrounded by a number of children. I could sense that she could not afford what she was buying.

While my specialty in law was corporate and not personal bankruptcy I know that many people spend three or more years paying for one holiday season and the seasons keep on coming. People should really think twice before destroying any chance at solvency or advancement by buying gifts that will be used, maybe, for the balance of the Christmas vacation.

I do not think people should ruin their finances for one day of "fun."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 02:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 3,169,883 times
OK, I read a fair chunk of the article, but not all of it. While it's all way way way more extravagant than anything I'VE seen or experienced for a child's party...what anyone decides to spend is all on them...and did it say anywhere in the article that these families were going broke doing this?

Old 04-20-2023, 02:31 PM

23,352 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Do-gooder societal overreach IMHO. Would you be willing to pay for enforcing such restrictions? Be honest now. Last time I checked, people were still free to make stupid decisions about spending as long as they used their own money. I'm sure the venders catering to such ridiculous spectacles aren't complaining!

Old 04-20-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Do-gooder societal overreach IMHO. Would you be willing to pay for enforcing such restrictions? Be honest now. Last time I checked, people were still free to make stupid decisions about spending as long as they used their own money. I'm sure the venders catering to such ridiculous spectacles aren't complaining!
Maybe I didn't spell it out well in the poll, but I suggest that synagogues who officiate at Bar Mitzvahs and to an extent weddings should counsel some degree of self-restraint. Kindergarten and first-grade teachers ought to do likewise. I am hardly a do-gooder; I just don't think families should feel pressure to bankrupt themselves to impress their peers.

Old 04-20-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe I didn't spell it out well in the poll, but I suggest that synagogues who officiate at Bar Mitzvahs and to an extent weddings should counsel some degree of self-restraint. Kindergarten and first-grade teachers ought to do likewise. I am hardly a do-gooder; I just don't think families should feel pressure to bankrupt themselves to impress their peers.
Can't we treat families like grown-ups, making their own decisions? I'm all for not bailing them out, if they end up going broke over this...but really, what do I care how they spend their money?

I know I don't want people telling ME what I can spend on a party, even though it would be far far far less than these folks...and yet, might be more than someone else would think was appropriate. I want to be ME. i want to let others do their own thing...especially if it's not hurting me.

Old 04-20-2023, 03:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
It's none of my business what someone else wants to spend on a party, regardless of the theme/reason. I think it's nuts even to spend $20,000 on a wedding, and would never even spend more than a couple of hundred for any birthday or other party, because to me it's just wasted on something the honoree(s) will soon forget. These cases like a $75,000 toddler birthday is simply parents bragging about being rich, and/or the old "keeping up with the Joneses."

Old 04-20-2023, 03:49 PM

708 posts, read 1,297,803 times
Quote:
I could make a case for this being in Parenting, Politics and Other Controversies, Psychology or here, so the four sided coin toss wound up in Philosophy.

I know, I know I make a big deal about people that criticize consumption and having fun, this is over the line, see It’s a Toddler’s Party. How About a $75,000 Budget? Same with over-the-top weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, some requiring second mortgages. I'll admit to being a bit of a hypocrit; our older son's Bar Mitzvah wasn't a blowout but i wasn't totally frugal.

I think many of these events are designed to "keep up with the Joneses" or the Kardashians. This article, in this morning's paper did set me off. How does a six-year old even appreciate this?

Now granted, this is not solely an upper-class or upper middle class problem. About twelve or so years ago, in late November, I was in a Walmart in White Plains picking up a birthday gift for my wife. There was a woman pushing a cart heaping with gifts, surrounded by a number of children. I could sense that she could not afford what she was buying.

While my specialty in law was corporate and not personal bankruptcy I know that many people spend three or more years paying for one holiday season and the seasons keep on coming. People should really think twice before destroying any chance at solvency or advancement by buying gifts that will be used, maybe, for the balance of the Christmas vacation.

I do not think people should ruin their finances for one day of "fun."
I think that this post should be in the MYOB category if there was one.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Can't we treat families like grown-ups, making their own decisions? I'm all for not bailing them out, if they end up going broke over this...but really, what do I care how they spend their money?

I know I don't want people telling ME what I can spend on a party, even though it would be far far far less than these folks...and yet, might be more than someone else would think was appropriate. I want to be ME. i want to let others do their own thing...especially if it's not hurting me.
Are the people I represent as Bankruptcy-law debtors adults? Simon might unexpectedly run into unfortunate circumstances, but that is hardly universal.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:48 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,230,451 times
If people who are legally adults have the right to make decisions about their lives and their bodies, then leave them alone to make these stupid mistakes about finances.

I think all the parties for which people go into debt are ridiculous to me. So many people are beggaring themselves to have an extravagant wedding reception and then they complain they can't afford a down payment for a house. They complain they can't afford to pay back their loans despite promising to do so.

I think that's probably good they have to forego buying houses and remain in debt. If they are so financially irresponsible, they probably should continue to waste their money on frivolities.

You can't fix stupid.

How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Are the people I represent as Bankruptcy-law debtors adults? Simon might unexpectedly run into unfortunate circumstances, but that is hardly universal.
Are the people you're representing telling you about the $75,000 birthday parties they're throwing?

Last edited by SnazzyB; 04-20-2023 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy