Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the cost of parties should be capped or controlled?
Yes, by self-control 5 33.33%
Yes, sometimes by mature social pressure 2 13.33%
Yes, in the case of children's parties by the school or religious institution 2 13.33%
Let the good times roll (or "no") 4 26.67%
Everyone, post away! 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 03:28 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
And see, if I were of a mind to do so, (but I'm not) I could say "WHAT? $2000 for a high school graduation? That's crazy!" (My grandma came to visit for my high school graduation, and we went out to eat afterwards. There were no parties. LOL)

It's not how our family rolled, but I'd never begrudge someone else and how they chose to have fun and a celebration.
I totally get that. It was in 2002. Our three older children just had a nice dinner at a restaurant, but our youngest, 11years later, was raised in a totally separate rural community, and we wanted to do something to include everyone who had welcomed us.

Last edited by gentlearts; 04-21-2023 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2023, 07:52 PM

35,114 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think very expensive parties are a bad idea but I think trying to regulate them out of existence would be bad law. I mean if Elon Musk wants to spend $75K (each) on birthday parties for his several children and several concubines, well, it's his money. And he can arguably afford it.

People should learn something about budgeting from their parents, but some parents are only useful as a bad example here. I would favor something being taught at least in high school, but that would take away from "woke" indoctrination time.
I did not say law. I think that religious institutions that sponsor the underlying coming of age events, and schools, should discourage them. Why schools? While I am not a great believer in "equity" I don't think parents need to "rub it in" to other parents or their children's peers.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:30 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I could make a case for this being in Parenting, Politics and Other Controversies, Psychology or here, so the four sided coin toss wound up in Philosophy.

I know, I know I make a big deal about people that criticize consumption and having fun, this is over the line, see It’s a Toddler’s Party. How About a $75,000 Budget? Same with over-the-top weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, some requiring second mortgages. I'll admit to being a bit of a hypocrit; our older son's Bar Mitzvah wasn't a blowout but i wasn't totally frugal.

I think many of these events are designed to "keep up with the Joneses" or the Kardashians. This article, in this morning's paper did set me off. How does a six-year old even appreciate this?

Now granted, this is not solely an upper-class or upper middle class problem. About twelve or so years ago, in late November, I was in a Walmart in White Plains picking up a birthday gift for my wife. There was a woman pushing a cart heaping with gifts, surrounded by a number of children. I could sense that she could not afford what she was buying.

While my specialty in law was corporate and not personal bankruptcy I know that many people spend three or more years paying for one holiday season and the seasons keep on coming. People should really think twice before destroying any chance at solvency or advancement by buying gifts that will be used, maybe, for the balance of the Christmas vacation.

I do not think people should ruin their finances for one day of "fun."

He/she doesn't. I think it's more an opportunity for the parents to pat themselves on the back over what 'great' parents they're being as well as to show off their material wealth to the parents of the invitees.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:56 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I totally get that. It was in 2002. Our three older children just had a nice dinner at a restaurant, but our youngest, 11years later, was raised in a totally separate rural community, and we wanted to do something to include everyone who had welcomed us.
I think your celebration sounds pretty fun. :-)

Old 04-26-2023, 12:15 PM

22,352 posts, read 29,470,487 times
It's their money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy