Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,071 times

Advertisements

As we know attachment to material things and people brings suffering when you lose them. But attachment to ideas and concepts like religion, ideology, and philosophy are also doomed to failure. Because we are limited to our mind and our limited senses we may not fully grasp reality and it's true nature. Even trivial ideas and assumptions you would never dare question could be wrong in some incomprehensible way that your limited mind cannot understand. And you would have no idea either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 07:27 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
exactly.
i have no idea.
just ask my wife.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:03 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
But, the reality in our ideas and thoughts, I don't see as "doomed to failure", and I do not see a valid comparison between ideas and thoughts and material possessions or even connections to people. I don't consider myself to have "limited senses", and my ideas and thoughts were formed over a long period of time, and also time tested. To compare that to choosing a vehicle, clothing, a house, etc., I am just not seeing it.

What if I have an idea or thought, who decides if it is wrong? Would that be another person with a differing idea or thought? Who ultimately decides which ideas and thoughts are "wrong"? Much of one's thoughts and ideas religion, ideology, and philosophy can never be proven "wrong", at least in our present lifetime.

So, I'm good with my ideas and thoughts, and confident that with the time I have left on earth, I won't suffer a loss or be proved wrong. Yeah, I am sort of confident that way.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:18 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Yes, except on Thursdays between 1:28-1:57 PM.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:02 AM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
It's called "shattered assumptions". It's happened to me a few times. I agree, don't get too attached. It fits well within the saying "let go or get dragged".

Old 04-18-2023, 08:22 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephStalin View Post
As we know attachment to material things and people brings suffering when you lose them. But attachment to ideas and concepts like religion, ideology, and philosophy are also doomed to failure. Because we are limited to our mind and our limited senses we may not fully grasp reality and it's true nature. Even trivial ideas and assumptions you would never dare question could be wrong in some incomprehensible way that your limited mind cannot understand. And you would have no idea either way.

Material things bring joy.

Don't think about it.

My philosophy.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:36 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
But attachment to ideas and concepts like religion, ideology, and philosophy are also doomed to failure.
Philosophy is the study of knowledge, existence and reality relative to an academic discipline; it is not an ‘idea or concept’ to which one becomes ‘attached’ or ‘believes’. What is ‘doomed to failure’ regarding such?

Quote:
The worst form of attachment is attachment to concepts and ideas, which may be false
Attachment theory is relative to developmental psychology and relationships between people. Rather, I get the sense your thread is speaking to belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's called "shattered assumptions". It's happened to me a few times. I agree, don't get too attached.
Shattered assumptions theory is relative to social psychology and trauma; it’s not philosophy.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Philosophy is the study of knowledge, existence and reality relative to an academic discipline; it is not an ‘idea or concept’ to which one becomes ‘attached’ or ‘believes’. What is ‘doomed to failure’ regarding such?

Attachment theory is relative to developmental psychology and relationships between people. Rather, I get the sense your thread is speaking to belief.

Shattered assumptions theory is relative to social psychology and trauma; it’s not philosophy.
How attached to all of that are you?

Old 04-18-2023, 09:02 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
How attached to all of that are you?
You mean how much to all of that do I believe (or know to be fact).

Old 04-18-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You mean how much to all of that do I believe (or know to be fact).
Attached to controlling the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy