Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 03:17 PM

740 posts, read 458,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Why do you care if it's legal? You don't care what any religious people think, so why do you care what judges and congressmen think?
It has nothing to do with what a judge or congressman thinks. I just preferred to go "clean" if there is such a thing. I don't want to somehow survive a suicide and be in a worse condition than before. Or not dying and lying in horrific pains for days before I succumb to the injuries. I am not afraid to die, but I am afraid of the slow or horrific pain that may linger on for days prior to death. That is why I preferred a legal death with medical professionals by my side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 03:19 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,516,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
As I age, more than ever, I want to have the right to die on my own terms. Currently 48 turning 49 in August. If I can put my dog down, I should have the right to put myself down when my time comes. And it may have nothing to do with terminal illness or anything. After a certain age when my quality of life is on the downside, I can just go to a clinic or medical facility and end my life. Of course, I can just always commit suicide when the time comes but I rather do it legally and as peaceful as I can.

I like to be independent and when that is gone, I would like to go. I do not want to wither on forever and be a financial drain for my wife. Assuming, if there is no hiccups along the way, we both should retire comfortably in our golden years.

The Right to die. Do you think this will ever be legal in most states in the future? The reason I am so comfortable about dying is that I can honestly say that I am the type of person who just doesn't care either way. Life is indifference to me. If I live, I live. If I die, I die as long as it is not drowning or burning to death. I could care less. It's weird thing not to value life.

I totally agree. I think it's a waste of time to become a vegetable, incontinent and unable to enjoy life. If we add dementia to the equation, please kill me now. I heard that Oregon has such a law, but I am not sure. I think Switzerland has such a law for sure. Don't know about France. Anyway, if I cant do it here, I'll go to Europe. I'll think about that when Im 70.

Old 02-16-2023, 03:31 PM

11,867 posts, read 5,839,497 times
65 and definitely believe in a Die with Dignity bill. If I'm in extreme pain or terminal - I don't want to burden my family with the financial worries or mental stress. I think many oppose this as they think gov't will become involved and at some point may be the deciders of who 's too old ect.. like Logan's Run.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:09 PM

8,097 posts, read 7,473,238 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with what a judge or congressman thinks. I just preferred to go "clean" if there is such a thing. I don't want to somehow survive a suicide and be in a worse condition than before. Or not dying and lying in horrific pains for days before I succumb to the injuries. I am not afraid to die, but I am afraid of the slow or horrific pain that may linger on for days prior to death. That is why I preferred a legal death with medical professionals by my side.
OK, I see what you mean now.

Personally, I've thought about it, after watching both of my parents die slowly from years of dementia. That's a bad way to go, without even getting into the aspect of wasting the frugality of two lifetimes. Yet either a quick voluntary exit or a slow, kicking and screaming one is fraught if my wife is still alive. I know that to her, the money saved would not be worth the loss of companionship. Good luck in your decision.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:11 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,709,812 times
Quote:
The reason why legality matters to me, is that I know so many people who say, "I'll sooner die than let somebody wipe my backside and if I get that bad, why, I'll off myself" and they don't even think of the fact that once you are old or ill enough to lose the independence in a way that tips you over the line, you're also not very capable of taking action to end yourself. Usually you are being cared for.

And again, as I'm caring for a senior who recently crossed that line in a dramatic way, one of the first things we did was go through his house and remove all his stashes of prescription narcotics from when his wife was dying, and ya know, I suspect he had those as his end of life insurance policy but the problem is...if we knew about them and left them there, it makes us complicit in something that is illegal.

You may be perfectly willing to disregard the law when you are at that extreme yourself, sure, but it isn't a position I would put a loved one in.

My ex even thinks that his best friend will shoot him dead to keep him from suffering such indignities. But like no one is gonna commit murder on request for him. And so long as there are no legal carve-outs for a death with dignity process and program, that's what assisted suicide amounts to...and even if there were, it always will be that, in the eyes of some moral absolutists. Just like there are people who believe that even a very early abortion is murder, and there are some of us who don't.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:14 PM

740 posts, read 458,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
If you honestly feel that you don't value your life at all then you have some serious issues. Life is meant to be enjoyed and if you aren't enjoying yours, take steps to fix it before you do die. This really saddens me that you feel no "joy" or hope in your life on earth. Such a great gift to be taken for granted. Do what you can to make yourself "care" about your life and live it as best you can. Don't just throw it away as if it's nothing. Too many young people getting killed in their tracks for an older person to just not "care". Wow.

I wish I knew why I just don't care about life. Honestly, my life is fine. I am not depressed, sad, or anything I am right in the middle. I am content, at peace with whatever which way it comes. Financially we are good, we aren't rich, but we aren't poor either. We are fairly invested and should be fine in our golden years. I have no plans to commit suicide anytime soon, but I would like our gov't to approved it so when I am ready to go, I can go.

Growing up in a religious family, father once ask me why I walked away from Christianity, "Don't you want to go to heaven after you die?" My response was "I don't care about heaven, after I died, I simply do not want to exist anymore."

I was thinking the other day, as they buried my college friend, she left behind a husband and 3 kids and she wanted to live so much and yet, her time ended at the age of 47. I suffered a stroke 3 years ago and I didn't even bother to go to the hospital until a couple of days later and yet I live. My cousin's husband died a few months after I suffered my stroke, he was 37 from a massive heart attack leaving behind my cousin and their children. My friend's son (same age as me) suffered a stroke a year after me and he too died. Left behind his family as well. I find it strangely weird that those who wished to live so much, dies. And the one guy who doesn't care either way ends up living. And I end up asking WHY ME?

Last edited by mikefong123; 02-16-2023 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 04:47 PM

5,540 posts, read 3,950,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The reason, by the way, that I also think that a youngish and not sick person who is in a persistent state of despair should have a path to a dignified death, is that I have a whole "if I could wave a magic wand" theory about how that would go... Where they would be part of a program designed to offer lots of resources and solutions to problems they may have, including mental health, training and counseling on self improvement and vocational stuff and all sorts of endeavors to help those who are just "stuck" and struggling. But if none of that helps or works, and it isn't a "permanent solution to temporary problem" deal...you get them to cooperate with the program and at least TRY knowing that if nothing else there's a peaceful end down the road. This may prevent suicidal people from taking matters into their own hands in the meantime. It may actually prevent some from going through with it at all. But if not, at least their loved ones wouldn't be finding them messily dead from self inflicted means if they could hang on through the process. Also, I have found that there is a world of difference when losing someone, between having it come as a shock out of nowhere, and knowing it's coming for a while. Gives you time to process things rather than hitting you like a ton of bricks.

This program would take YEARS though. But given the state of things and how many people are mired in misery and ending their own lives, I think it would be worth investing in, from a societal perspective.
Nice post, and I'd be onboard with something like this, as well.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:50 PM

5,540 posts, read 3,950,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I totally agree. I think it's a waste of time to become a vegetable, incontinent and unable to enjoy life. If we add dementia to the equation, please kill me now. I heard that Oregon has such a law, but I am not sure. I think Switzerland has such a law for sure. Don't know about France. Anyway, if I cant do it here, I'll go to Europe. I'll think about that when Im 70.
Netherlands has long been known for having the most liberal euthanasia laws in the world. I'd have to research it to see just how liberal they actually are. There was a long-term depressed (but only like 27 years old, if memory serves) woman in I believe neighboring Belgium who made international headlines some years back for being granted the 'right to die' by her country's government, based solely on her mental health condition.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:44 PM

1,063 posts, read 915,072 times
"Do you think this will ever be legal in most states in the future?"

that would be 26, and yes.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:57 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,881,530 times
As a chronic pain sufferer I 100% believe in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy