Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 09:47 AM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times

Advertisements

Why do you want to know EVERYTHING? Are you AI, and your programmer gave you a cruel instruction?

I mean, I know there are lots of species of ants. I'm passingly familiar with local ants; there are the big black ones, and the little black ones, and the red ones that bite. I don't feel the need to know more about ants.

I've been sewing my entire life, and have learned a lot about it, but I still learn new stuff every day, and I rediscover stuff I'd forgotten. That's OK.

I think you need to look at what knowledge will enhance your life, and specialize in that, and not worry about the rest.

As Unamuno said, "Life is short, but it's wide." of course, he said it in Spanish.
That's how I feel about knowledge. I like to know a little about lots of things; if something catches my fancy, I'll find out more.
My knowledge is shallow, but it's wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 10:34 AM

6,753 posts, read 3,376,739 times
Nobody knows everything, and those that think they do are usually people you don't want to be around.

My late mother-in-law was like that. She was a grade school teacher and would constantly correct you, even on things she knew nothing about. It was obnoxious.

I am a golfer that has played all over the U.S. and in Europe. She would argue with me about the best courses in Scotland even though she never held a golf club in her life. It was an argument you were never going to win. She thought she knew everything about everything, and there was no arguing about that.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:07 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,366 times
I've come back to this thread several times and I think you've changed your username at least twice after this thread started. Are you okay buddy? I remember another thread started by you saying you had some kind of social anxiety.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:05 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,057,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenfire88 View Post
It's frustrating. There's not enough time, but even if I had all the free time I wanted, I don't know if I would be able to learn everything. There's thousands of different types of ants. And ants are just one animal species. There's thousands of different types of plant species. One type of plants are orchids, and there's thousands of those. I want to know everything about all topics. I'm having trouble accepting that it's likely I'll never know everything. What do you do when you have a goal that's likely impossible to attain? Am I being too greedy, too ambitious? Is this an ego issue? I don't think I have much of an ego in the other parts of my life. I don't want to be smarter than other people, be better looking, richer etc. I wonder if I have a huge ego by wanting to know everything. Who am I to want to know everything. Is this taking curiosity to a unhealthy scale? Part of wanting to know everything is that I see life like a unfinished puzzle. It's my mission or goal, to put it all together. And I do that by knowing everything there is to know. Once I complete the puzzle, maybe I'll discover something. Like the meaning of life or if there's a creator and other deep mysteries.
It isn't likely that you will never know "everything", ummm it's pretty much a done deal. Nobody knows "everything" and never will. God designed it that way. Different people have different interests, so some master studying insects and plants or whatever, but there will never be anyone EVER that knows "everything" there is to know.

I, myself, have my interests and hobbies and my job, I'm pretty knowledgeable in some areas and totally not in others.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:38 PM

6,958 posts, read 6,891,873 times
Curiosity is good, until it gets you into trouble. If you are religious, you will definitely get into "trouble" if you are curious about the larger issues there. If you are not religious, then maybe you would like to investigate out-of-body travel (OBE) which many people can do and which would bring you into other realities than the normal 3D universe we know about here on earth.

The Astral Pulse is a discussion forum for such people with all kinds of information about OBEs which might be of interest and Evanlab is a more scientific website which uses hypnosis to investigate different aspects. However, there is plenty of information on OBEs out there if you are interested and then literally, the sky is (not) the limit for you.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:19 PM

27,622 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenfire88 View Post
What do you do when you have a goal that's likely impossible to attain? Am I being too greedy, too ambitious? Is this an ego issue?
There is nothing wrong with it.

Are you a myrmecologist? Know as much as you want to know. There is no greater prize than knowledge.

Be eternally grateful you were born a human, and endowed with curiosity.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:21 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,738 times
As a kid I thought as you age you eventually knew everything. I’m 76 now and not even close and that’s okay because no one knows everything.

Old 02-15-2023, 08:13 PM

1,878 posts, read 851,480 times
i have gotten in my life where I want to know more but the community I live in is highly uneducated ( that a polite way of saying stupid0 they only car about football, beer and big breast. and I is not joking. So there is no one to communicate or mentor with.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:29 PM

23,353 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i have gotten in my life where I want to know more but the community I live in is highly uneducated ( that a polite way of saying stupid0 they only car about football, beer and big breast. and I is not joking. So there is no one to communicate or mentor with.
You don't need to communicate face to face or mentor with someone in person in order to learn something! Sounds like a convenient excuse to complain. Isn't sharing knowledge and information the reason the Web came into being? An ever expanding and limitless library at your fingertips. Rather ironic that you had to take advantage of it to post your whinge on this thread. The world that exists outside the community you dismissed as stupid is as large and enlightening as you choose to make it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-16-2023 at 04:41 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 05:00 PM

5,510 posts, read 3,942,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You don't need to communicate face to face or mentor with someone in person in order to learn something! Sounds like a convenient excuse to complain. Isn't sharing knowledge and information the reason the Web came into being? An ever expanding and limitless library at your fingertips. Rather ironic that you had to take advantage of it to post your whinge on this thread. The world that exists outside the community you dismissed as stupid is as large and enlightening as you choose to make it.
Sure, but face-to-face communication is far more satisfying and potentially effective. Studies consistently show that retention from the printed page (ie, an actual physical book) is significantly higher as compared to material presented/encountered on a screen. I'd imagine there's a similar dynamic in play with regards to face-to-face communication as opposed to electronically mediated interactions. I looked at the profile of the guy you responded to; he lives in Alabama. I can easily imagine his assessment of his town being more or less accurate....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy