Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 08:42 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,365,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If anyone ever gets off the low information (how/what) end of the topic...
if someone actually addresses the WHY behid that how and that what ...
let me know.
You must have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Your post seems to imply an environmental or social cause why men commit crimes.

I think it is biological.

Men - testosterone

Women - estrogen

It is just the nature of the sexes. Men are just more likely to be violent and take what they want. I would say the nature of men is toward criminality unless raised in a civilized and moral way to repress that tendancy, which most of us are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 11:35 AM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
You must have missed it.
Nope. All I see is turning over the same how and what statements.

Old 01-21-2023, 02:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,609,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
1. Men don't commit "nearly all" felonies, but they do make up ~93% of the US prison population. [Article, Study, USDOJ Study]
There are studies that indicate that men aren't necessarily more criminal by design but there indeed is an institutional bias against them. For example, men are regularly given much longer sentences and "female arrestees are also significantly likelier to avoid charges and convictions entirely, and twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted."
Common trope: Man hits women, man gets arrested. Woman hits man, crowd goes "ooooohhhh", nothing else happens.

2. As MrRational mentioned, some men are pushed to commit crimes by women. Either passively, where the men do it in order to support the women and their families (property crime, white collar crime), or actively behind the scenes pushing the man do to things. [I have no evidence, just conjecture]

[Edit to add:]Did you mean to use the word "felonies", or did you intend to talk about things like "assaults" or "violent crime"?
You state men don't commit nearly all felonies. This is true. That's why there are more men in prison than women for felonies. Not because society is picking on men. Example: Almost 100% of serial killers are men. Even more striking is that almost all of them are white men. And no, it's not because society is picking on them.

"Statistics have been consistent in reporting that men commit more criminal acts than women. Self-reported delinquent acts are also higher for men than for women, although lower than official data. Low levels of self control are associated with criminal activity." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_di...nal%20activity.

As I stated in a post above, testosterone has something (maybe a lot) to do with it. Testosterone causes risk taking and aggressiveness.

As for men getting arrested for assault on women, while women don't get arrested for assault on men...men could report it, and the woman would be arrested. However, the reality is that a man is capable of causing so much more damage when he hits a woman (smaller, smaller bones, shorter arms to protect herself with, not much testosterone giving her aggressiveness to fight), then when a woman hits a man (the male is larger, more muscular, thicker & larger bones, long arms to hold her back so she can't even reach him to hit him, and he has testosterone which fuels aggressiveness in protection).

One thing, though, is true...when a woman is found guilty of killing a man, she is apt to receive a harsher sentence than when a man is found guilty of killing a woman (we're talking a quick kill of someone they know...not a kidnap-torture-rape-murder that is so common these days). This is changing somewhat, but for the most part, is still the case. I believe it's because the judges, who hand down the sentencing usually, are usually male and subconsciously identify with the male defendant. I think this was the recent case when a judge gave a young college man found guilty of assault & sex crimes for dragging an unconscious young woman behind a dumpster, and assaulting her by doing various things to her anus & other crevices (apparently he couldn't have real sex)...the white male judge gave the white male young defendant 6 months in jail. The outraged public removed the judge from the bench.

One case- the judge sentenced a black woman found guilty of aggravated assault of her abusive husband (he was trying to strangle her). What did she do? She shot a warning shot into a wall as she tried to get away. SHE was arrested, charged, & sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Things are improving, though, as the makeup of our judges begins to look more like our population overall.

In the end, testosterone plays a dominant (no pun intended) role is making men more aggressive and risk-taking. This is proven. Females also become more aggressive when given testosterone. It affects a particular area of the brain.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:30 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,254,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You state men don't commit nearly all felonies. This is true. That's why there are more men in prison than women for felonies.
I have stated, and provided links to back it up, that men do not commit "nearly all" felonies.

You said I'm wrong, then provided no evidence to back it up. You did provide a link to a crowd-edited (i.e., not reliable) source. Luckily for you, I can actually do research and found some of the studies you probably meant to link. But even those don't provide evidence that men commit "nearly all" felonies, only that they commit more than women. See the difference there? I agree, and even provided one reason other than "it's testosterone".

Quote:
Not because society is picking on men. Example: Almost 100% of serial killers are men. Even more striking is that almost all of them are white men. And no, it's not because society is picking on them.
I never said society is picking on men, or white men. If a white man does a crime, he should be punished accordingly. I said women get lighter sentences than men in general, which is true, in spite of your anecdote about women who murder. Sentencing leaning one way for one specific crime doesn't negate sentencing leaning the other way for all other crimes.

Quote:
One case- the judge sentenced a black woman found guilty of aggravated assault of her abusive husband (he was trying to strangle her). What did she do? She shot a warning shot into a wall as she tried to get away. SHE was arrested, charged, & sentenced to 20 years in prison.
If this is the case I think it is, then the woman left the area (she was now no longer under direct threat of harm), retrieved a weapon from her vehicle, then went back inside the house. When she went back she became the aggressor, and was treated accordingly. You can't claim "stand your ground" when you are advancing. That said, I also agree she got a raw deal.

Quote:
In the end, testosterone plays a dominant (no pun intended) role is making men more aggressive and risk-taking. This is proven. Females also become more aggressive when given testosterone. It affects a particular area of the brain.
So link to the studies "proving" this. I did to back up my claims.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:41 AM

The OP asks: Why do Men commit nearly all felonies?
Restated some... that came out to: "Why are most felonies committed by men"
And after some more ... it came out to: "Why are most physical felonies committed by men"
^^Fair enough accounting of this thread?

How about this one: Why do the OTHER 99.7% of men commit no felonies? (physical or other)
Answer that and you'll probably have the OP's answer too.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:46 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,350,880 times
Quote:
The OP asks: Why do Men commit nearly all felonies?
Restated some... that came out to: "Why are most felonies committed by men"
And after some more ... it came out to: "Why are most physical felonies committed by men"
^^Fair enough accounting of this thread?

How about this one: Why do the OTHER 99.7% of men commit no felonies? (physical or other)
More than 99% of woman don't commit felonies either, but browsing a small number of news web sites today I found the following:

UK nurse (female) charged with killing seven babies and trying to kill 10 others, faces court in Manchester, England

In the US a woman, 32, has been named as the main suspect in the murder of her two children, 5, and 3, after the youngsters were found dead in their family home.

A female teacher is facing extradition from Israel to Australia to face charges of sexually abusing girls at a Jewish girls high school.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 01-28-2023 at 06:55 PM..

Old 01-29-2023, 11:35 AM

600 posts, read 267,409 times
Male entitlement and toxic masculinity. When you're raised with the assumption that things will just happen for you, and they don't, you assume that it's okay to make them happen, regardless of whether it's legal or harms someone else in the process. Most felons feel the world owes them something just for existing, and if the world doesn't give it to them, they'll simply take it.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:03 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,514,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
Male entitlement and toxic masculinity. When you're raised with the assumption that things will just happen for you, and they don't, you assume that it's okay to make them happen, regardless of whether it's legal or harms someone else in the process. Most felons feel the world owes them something just for existing, and if the world doesn't give it to them, they'll simply take it.

A good question about society, is why do the different attitudes like this exist, why is each behavior not frowned upon in equal terms, and do these attitudes manifest themselves at a legal level to give the perception that men commit nearly all felonies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtVHnZX8E50&t=157s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1WNQ9YCpto

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-29-2023 at 10:25 PM..

Old 01-30-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
More than 99% of woman...
How about this one then: Why do the OTHER 99.7% of men (or women) commit no felonies? (physical or other)

Old 01-30-2023, 09:42 AM

600 posts, read 267,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
A good question about society, is why do the different attitudes like this exist, why is each behavior not frowned upon in equal terms, and do these attitudes manifest themselves at a legal level to give the perception that men commit nearly all felonies.
Entitlement is frowned upon in everyone. There is no disparity there, and those videos are not scientific. I feel that you posting them is an attempt to try to derail this conversation and make it about men as victims, and no, not playing along with that. The topic is why most felons are men.

It is not a "perception" that men commit most of the felonies. That the majority of felons ARE male. The majority of violent criminals ARE male. Most intimate partner violence is committed by men. The VAST majority of sexual offenses are committed by men. Men commit over 80% of assaults, aggravated assaults, and murders. Nearly all mass shooters are male. In fact, men just plain commit more crime than women.

Not "perception." FACT.

https://open.lib.umn.edu/socialprobl...commits-crime/

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/27/98180...ooters-are-men

https://phys.org/news/2021-03-men-co...nt-crimes.html

Why? Toxic masculinity prizes aggression, domination, and ownership. When men raised in a vat of toxic masculinity don't get their way, someone or something gets abused, whether it's women, children, animals, or property. It is an aggression problem. It is a failure of society to civilize boys so that they become civilized men. It is an intersection of sexism, racism, and homophobia, and it is a repression of compassion and expression of emotion---all of which grow up in the same toxic house where "big boys don't cry" and "second place is the first loser."

Quote:
How about this one then: Why do the OTHER 99.7% of men (or women) commit no felonies? (physical or other)
Nope, not playing that either. No one is talking about law-abiding citizens here. We're talking about why most felons are men. No one is saying most men are felons, so there's no reason to bring up those who are not. Just that most felons are men. What is it about men and masculinity that makes them more likely to commit felonies than women? See above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy