Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 02:20 PM

16,000 posts, read 7,052,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
If you ban firearms do you think that murder will disappear and people wont kill another way? Look how that worked for Europe. Murder and assaults still happen. Just with other weapons.

So, do you truly care about people not dying or are you more worried about firearms?
How DOES it work in Europe? How many children die from gun shots? Find the statistics. it will shock you.
ban guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 05:43 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,022,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How DOES it work in Europe? How many children die from gun shots? Find the statistics. it will shock you.
ban guns.
Just so we are clear. You arent really worried about the fact that people die, you are only worried when people die from firearms? That is what it sounds like.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:51 AM

3,128 posts, read 1,022,707 times
Guns, they don't have a mind of their own to start shooting. Same thing with a knife, a car, a hammer, a bottle of wine etc. They are not animated beings. They are objects. An alive person needs to handle these objects. People use these.

Ban people.
(...using the same logic)

Old 04-12-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Just so we are clear. You arent really worried about the fact that people die, you are only worried when people die from firearms? That is what it sounds like.
People die. We all die. That is our end result. Nobody can stop death. We can, and must in a civilized society, stop putting guns in people’s hands and allowing them to commit mass murders.. Guns are the only weapon capable of doing that and we need to ban guns other than in the armed forces in war for defense. There is no reason for civilians to walk around with guns. They are mass murders waiting to happen.
There are gun owners who are rethinking their own possession of guns. It is good they are doing that, and hope more will come forward in support of banning guns. Ban guns, save lives.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
People die. We all die. That is our end result. Nobody can stop death. We can, and must in a civilized society, stop putting guns in people’s hands and allowing them to commit mass murders.. Guns are the only weapon capable of doing that and we need to ban guns other than in the armed forces in war for defense. There is no reason for civilians to walk around with guns. They are mass murders waiting to happen.
There are gun owners who are rethinking their own possession of guns. It is good they are doing that, and hope more will come forward in support of banning guns. Ban guns, save lives.
Its interesting how you never really answer the question. You say that people die, we all die. Yes, you are correct. However, do you think it matters if you die by a knife or a firearm? Murder is still murder. Yet, you are only advocating for firearms to be banned. Its as if you dont care about people who are killed in other means.

As for no reason for a civllian to walk around with a firearm. Many many people have had their lives saved by firearms. Do their lives mean less to you because they saved themselves with a firearm? Do you have the same idea that there is no reason for a civllian to walk around with a knife because they may use it to kill someone?

Old 04-12-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Its interesting how you never really answer the question. You say that people die, we all die. Yes, you are correct. However, do you think it matters if you die by a knife or a firearm? Murder is still murder. Yet, you are only advocating for firearms to be banned. Its as if you dont care about people who are killed in other means.
Of course it has been answered, you don't want to accept it. Murders and other crimes are part of society, has always been, and always will be as long as humans live. Murder by guns outnumber death by any other means. Death by gun shot is the number one leading cause of death for children, higher than any other advanced country. That is shameful, that we cannot protect our children, the most innocent and vulnerable of all.[/quote]

Quote:
As for no reason for a civllian to walk around with a firearm. (1) Many many people have had their lives saved by firearms. (2)Do their lives mean less to you because they saved themselves with a firearm? Do you have the same idea that there is no reason for a civllian to walk around with a knife because they may use it to kill someone?

Reliable Source and data for the 2 bolded?
Nobody should walk around with an exposed weapon that can kill.

Until you provide these two data, consider this as response for all your future posts.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Of course it has been answered, you don't want to accept it. Murders and other crimes are part of society, has always been, and always will be as long as humans live. Murder by guns outnumber death by any other means. Death by gun shot is the number one leading cause of death for children, higher than any other advanced country. That is shameful, that we cannot protect our children, the most innocent and vulnerable of all.

Reliable Source and data for the 2 bolded?
Nobody should walk around with an exposed weapon that can kill.

Until you provide these two data, consider this as response for all your future posts.[/quote]

Just so we are clear. You are saying that it is your belief that no one has EVER saved their life or the life of others with a firearm? https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=firearms+saving+lifes

As for number 2, that is on you to answer. I cant answer that part for you.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:09 PM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
The problem is that we do not live in a civilized society. If we did we wouldn't need laws at all. People would respond civilly to all their problems.

We humans live in societies with a thin veil of civilization keeping most of us from reacting to our most desperate emotions. But let anything threaten our basic human needs persist for any length of time, shorter than most people realize, and we would be at each others' throats fighting for survival. Why? Because we are animals - animals who are striving to counteract our baser natures.

Because of that whenever there is a breakdown of the human mind or the artifice of human civilization might will always prevail over right. I think Obama said it. "Never bring a knife to a gun fight."

I like the idea of being able to remove everything that could cause harm to our children but it is unrealistic. When I realized guns were a fact of life where we live I sent both my kids to gun safety class so that if they were ever at anyone's house and some kid wanted to show them "something neat" they would understand the basic rules of avoiding an accident and why they exist.

Did that set my mind at ease? A mother's mind is never at ease but I knew I had done something to educate them about the kind of respect potentially dangerous things should instill.

I think education is our best approach to all dangerous possibilities including potentially violent personalities.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The problem is that we do not live in a civilized society. If we did we wouldn't need laws at all. People would respond civilly to all their problems.

We humans live in societies with a thin veil of civilization keeping most of us from reacting to our most desperate emotions. But let anything threaten our basic human needs persist for any length of time, shorter than most people realize, and we would be at each others' throats fighting for survival. Why? Because we are animals - animals who are striving to counteract our baser natures.

Because of that whenever there is a breakdown of the human mind or the artifice of human civilization might will always prevail over right. I think Obama said it. "Never bring a knife to a gun fight."

I like the idea of being able to remove everything that could cause harm to our children but it is unrealistic. When I realized guns were a fact of life where we live I sent both my kids to gun safety class so that if they were ever at anyone's house and some kid wanted to show them "something neat" they would understand the basic rules of avoiding an accident and why they exist.

Did that set my mind at ease? A mother's mind is never at ease but I knew I had done something to educate them about the kind of respect potentially dangerous things should instill.

I think education is our best approach to all dangerous possibilities including potentially violent personalities.
Reminds me of a scene from the Star Trek show Deep Space Nine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D2SHNqkjbY

Go to the minute 30 mark.

Old 04-12-2023, 02:29 PM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
This discussion should be entitled "It's Been Between 4,000 and 3,000 Years, B.C.E., and Not Much Change."

Our ideas are great and noble but our behavior stays pretty much the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy