Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 04:05 PM

3,128 posts, read 1,022,707 times

Advertisements

To find God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 02:06 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,679,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
I think this is a bit too dismissive of the OP's concerns. Would you say that a child murdered in an ethnic genocide is having her needs met?
Or those living on the street that have no way out?

Old 11-14-2021, 03:36 AM

It does appear that things are out of balance and does exist a lack of equality, which does not seem fair. It can feel pretty sad and depressing when we look at the world and all the negativity that exists therein and does feel that most spend their time trying to survive, crawl up out of a hole or keep from slipping down into a hole, while others laughingly go on their merry way.

As mentioned here, it can seem that there exist challenges in order for a Soul to learn and grow, which is likely the case (Karma, Reincarnation) and is why there are so many variables seen. I don't care for how some in better positions may project that anyone can be "just like they are", when it is not the case, being that some would struggle to achieve or maintain what came easily to another. We all vary psychologically and with what has existed for each in other ways, that not everyone will have the same opportunities or outcomes. Then, if it is to do with Reincarnation, it may not be possible to be other than whom you are.

So, why do those like say, the Kardashians, have all they have, when good, hardworking and thoughtful individuals can experience very difficult times? Will those we have seen having been handed $$ and appearing to have never struggled as others do, be homeless in another lifetime?

Old 11-14-2021, 12:17 PM

I don't know. First, I don't think they have it all. Some of them might be/appear to to quite unbalanced and dysfunctional people. I don't want to be them.

I believe in reincarnation too. I think we are here to learn, it's a school. You improve, change, get rid of the bad habits. Love and serve others. Basically first work on yourself and be happy while doing it. Easier said than done, I know.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
I don't know. First, I don't think they have it all. Some of them might be/appear to to quite unbalanced and dysfunctional people. I don't want to be them.

I believe in reincarnation too. I think we are here to learn, it's a school. You improve, change, get rid of the bad habits. Love and serve others. Basically first work on yourself and be happy while doing it. Easier said than done, I know.
I was not meaning to say that whom I referred to in my last post "had it all together", since they certainly do not, but they may think they do, since they have merely not had to deal with financial concerns as others do. As said, they have their own personality problems and I certainly wouldn't want to one of them either, but there are those who will place that type on a pedestal. Again, I wonder where souls of this type might end up? Also, I've wondered, when does one's soul "reach perfection" and what happens then?

I get what you are saying and think that is it, also. Though I sometimes feel that outside interferences get in way of one wanting to stay on track. For instance, I have been affected a long while by an ongoing annoyance, a "negative force" (upstairs neighbor), disrupting and distracting me, altering my emotional and physical state, and not having assistance with, though the manager is aware. I am unable to move just anywhere, so I am stuck. Needing knee surgery next year and recovery of, I am feeling even more tense, resenting having to always put up daily with an inconsiderate individual. I mention this, because it is an example of being distracted from one's focus. Also, an example of good / bad.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 11-14-2021 at 08:47 PM..

Old 11-15-2021, 05:15 AM

I recommend a book, "The Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda. For your questions about the soul. I think you'll like it.

Regarding the neighbor, you might want to try a technique. You pray for him. Just send him "peace and harmony" over and over for a minute. And then send yourself peace and harmony at the end, for a few seconds. Repeat 5 times a day. You don't have to believe in God to do it. Just try. These are vibrations, good thoughts, they work.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:22 AM

884 posts, read 357,845 times
Cosmologically, I'm not sure life has any meaning. I'm weakly a cosmological nihilist.

At the human level, I think meaning is what humans decide has meaning. And so my life has meaning because:
- I derive value life itself
- I derive value my emotional and intellectual existence
- I derive value from the existence of other people
- I derive value from nature

So I'm a (weakly) cosmological nihilist, but not a moral or existential nihilist.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:14 AM

19,833 posts, read 18,122,835 times
I need a beer after reading through this thread.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:25 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,114,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sometimes I wonder if we were put on this earth only to be in pain, misery, loneliness, and suffering.
It's a trick & a trap, maybe even a test; don't fall for it.

Who told you you were supposed to be happy all the time, lol? This isn't a Barney set in some PBS studio.

The secret to a happy life is overcoming pain, misery, loneliness, and suffering. We were born to overcome challenges. To win some, to lose some, to learn from our losses & ultimately; prevail. People alive in the developed world over the last 5 or so decades have had it too good. Not enough challenges. Had a FB friend, a kid in West Africa ask me how may day was going. I said it was "okay". He said "Very good. Today is Sunday, so I must go fetch some water to wash my clothing." Both of his parents are dead.

He's a very happy person. He's got real challenges. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
I recommend a book, "The Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda. For your questions about the soul. I think you'll like it.

Regarding the neighbor, you might want to try a technique. You pray for him. Just send him "peace and harmony" over and over for a minute. And then send yourself peace and harmony at the end, for a few seconds. Repeat 5 times a day. You don't have to believe in God to do it. Just try. These are vibrations, good thoughts, they work.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy