Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,537,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
bull or dawg......cra$....the room is not cleaned any differently....the pet dep goes in the owners pocket.
I believe this to be true too. I DO NOT do well with smoke and can't tell you how many rooms I have stayed in that were non-smoking and some idiot smoked in it! The hotel that "properly" sanitizes came and just sprayed the room with "a special" spray...please it probably was Glade b/c I could still smell masked smoke in the room...yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
bull or dawg......cra$....the room is not cleaned any differently....the pet dep goes in the owners pocket.
I have a family member who owns a hotel (not one of those crappy chains) in which they have an air purifier thing that goes in after a pet has been in the room to clean the air. It works.

Maybe not all hotels have such a thing, but I'd say any worth staying at does. Then again, any worth staying at generally does not allow pets.

Smoke smells are much harder to get out of a room than pet dander. I'm also very allergic to smoke and can smell it on my hair for days after I've been around a smoker, but there isn't a very effective way of cleaning the smoke smell out of small, enclosed rooms. That's the reason there are supposed to be smoke free and smoking rooms. Sadly, there is no such thing as pet and pet free rooms- and even if there was, irresponsible pet owners would just ignore it anyway as proven by this thread.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:44 AM

I've only stayed in nonsmoking rooms that people HAVE disregarded the rules and smoked anyways. It's all a matter of perception. I would rather stay in a pet room any day than smell smoke. Also, I will have you know, we have stayed at what are considered high end hotels with our dogs. It's not a matter of hotel being trashy if they allow your dogs to stay with you. People and pets are a very profitable market group and it's only right that hotels are among those business catering to us.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:33 AM

5 posts, read 9,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I believe this to be true too. I DO NOT do well with smoke and can't tell you how many rooms I have stayed in that were non-smoking and some idiot smoked in it! The hotel that "properly" sanitizes came and just sprayed the room with "a special" spray...please it probably was Glade b/c I could still smell masked smoke in the room...yuck! [/FONT]
So this automatically makes it OK for you to bring a pet into a non-pet room?

FYI - I used to manage at one of those "crappy chains" and let me tell you about our policy regarding pets. First, YES people are allergic to pets. My third week on the job a guest came down with eyes swollen shut and she was unable to breathe. We called an ambulance and found out the woman in the room before her had two goldens up there. Our policy, and most other hotels, must comply with the requirement of having clean breathable air to all guests. If we cannot provide this, refunds were given and air purifiers were used. Glade?? Shows how much you know, or don't know for that matter. Glade makes breathing problems worse, and was NOT allowed in our hotels (which are five different chains, all of which I'm sure you're familiar with). And why shouldn't hotels take a deposit if pets are allowed? Many pets will have accidents on the floor, shed, etc. I understand you love pets, and I love my terrier, but as a pet owner YOU must take responsibility to be respectful and considerate [mod]edit [/mod]

I cannot believe there are people who would sneak a dog into a room where animals aren't allowed, and furthermore that there are people who COMPLAIN about having to put a deposit down or sign an agreement. That's what happens when you bring animals into a public place. Upon adding that cute, furry four-legged teddy bear to your family, UNDERSTAND THE RESPONSIBILITY. And get rid of the arrogance concerning this issue. [mod] edit [/mod] Get a grip.

Last edited by leorah; 12-24-2008 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Let's not make this personal....

Old 12-24-2008, 06:33 AM

340 posts, read 646,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckate349 View Post
So this automatically makes it OK for you to bring a pet into a non-pet room?

FYI - I used to manage at one of those "crappy chains" and let me tell you about our policy regarding pets. First, YES people are allergic to pets. My third week on the job a guest came down with eyes swollen shut and she was unable to breathe. We called an ambulance and found out the woman in the room before her had two goldens up there. Our policy, and most other hotels, must comply with the requirement of having clean breathable air to all guests. If we cannot provide this, refunds were given and air purifiers were used. Glade?? Shows how much you know...[edited for arrogance]. And why shouldn't hotels take a deposit if pets are allowed? Many pets will have accidents on the floor, shed, etc. I understand you love pets, and I love my terrier, but as a pet owner YOU must take responsibility to be respectful and considerate - both of which you obviously lack.

I cannot believe there are people who would sneak a dog into a room where animals aren't allowed, and furthermore that there are people who COMPLAIN about having to put a deposit down or sign an agreement. That's what happens when you bring animals into a public place. Upon adding that cute, furry four-legged teddy bear to your family, UNDERSTAND THE RESPONSIBILITY. And get rid of the arrogance concerning this issue. I'm speaking to multiple posters. Get a grip.
Poster never said she sneaks animals into rooms:

Quote:
I think most places we have stayed have required us to sign a pet form. We refuse to stay in places that require our pets to be crated. We're not against crating BUT our (large) dogs are not crated at home and do just fine in a hotel room without us. I suppose in my mind, I like the hotel/motels knowing our dogs are there in case of emergency and we aren't in the room. Someone can come and get our dogs. I'm probably delusional...but it puts my mind at ease. Plus I like housekeeping to know our dogs are there. Even though we put "do not disturb" sign on the door...you never know. Although, in the future I am not against Shelbygirl's idea.

The other compliant is the obsurd "pet fee" some places charge...and then claim it is NON-REFUNDABLE regardless of no damage!
Just because we are appalled at the large pet deposit fee does not mean that we need to get a grip. We, as consumers, have no way of knowing how well or poor a pet room is cleaned after our departure.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 9,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Poster never said she sneaks animals into rooms:

Just because we are appalled at the large pet deposit fee does not mean that we need to get a grip. We, as consumers, have no way of knowing how well or poor a pet room is cleaned after our departure.
I guess you missed the part where people said they sneak pets into rooms. Might I suggest you revisit the posts?

And why are you appalled at a large pet deposit fee? Why don't you ask to see their cleanliness standards and procedures? Instead of coming to rant on a pet board about paying for your furry family members to sleep in a hotel initially designed for humans, look into exactly what the deposit goes towards. Try to realize why this deposit exists (because some ruined it for all). And those who ruined it are most certainly the posters who sneak their pets in. So yeah, I think people do need to get a grip on reality. People thinking that they can do whatever they want with their animals is a huge problem in today's society. I have 3 dogs and a bird and I would NEVER inconvenience other people just to satisfy my needs. Maybe I'm just considerate.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
And why are you appalled at a large pet deposit fee? Why don't you ask to see their cleanliness standards and procedures? Instead of coming to rant on a pet board about paying for your furry family members to sleep in a hotel initially designed for humans, look into exactly what the deposit goes towards. Try to realize why this deposit exists (because some ruined it for all). And those who ruined it are most certainly the posters who sneak their pets in. So yeah, I think people do need to get a grip on reality. People thinking that they can do whatever they want with their animals is a huge problem in today's society. I have 3 dogs and a bird and I would NEVER inconvenience other people just to satisfy my needs. Maybe I'm just considerate.

Thank you EmergencyOps for reading my post completely and not skimming it.

Again Ckate349, it's all a matter of perception. I'm completely aware there are some pet owners that have ruined it for the rest of us. I've never clamined to know everything. I can only tell you our experiences. You don't know me in the slightest, so don't begin to judge me. This is a board of opinions, but your tone is taking a negative turn. But go ahead and say and believe you are the only one who is considerate...that is simply your perception.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 AM

340 posts, read 646,332 times
Quote:
I guess you missed the part where people said they sneak pets into rooms. Might I suggest you revisit the posts?
Maybe you should quote the other posters, not Amazonchix. I quoted that poster (as did you).

Quote:
What is your fee? Does that fee justify the cleaning costs, even for a one night stay? I shall give your hotel chain a visit. DM me the name. After all...

Quote:
...our hotels (which are five different chains, all of which I'm sure you're familiar with).
...one shouldn't be hard to find.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Quote:
I've only stayed in nonsmoking rooms that people HAVE disregarded the rules and smoked anyways. It's all a matter of perception. I would rather stay in a pet room any day than smell smoke. Also, I will have you know, we have stayed at what are considered high end hotels with our dogs. It's not a matter of hotel being trashy if they allow your dogs to stay with you. People and pets are a very profitable market group and it's only right that hotels are among those business catering to us.
Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. I never said that only trashy hotels allow pets. Quite the contrary- many hotels on all levels now allow pets and I have taken my dog and gladly paid the extra fee for her because I am a responsible pet owner. Have a problem with the fees? I'm sure there's a kennel nearby that doesn't require expensive equipment, filters, and other measures to clean out the room of pet dander.

It's all a matter of perception yes- but how much money it would cost people with severe allergies who walk into a room where pets were is absolutely not a matter of perception. It's quite expensive to go to the ER, get refills on epis, or down bottles of benedryl- not to mention how that one even would easily ruin a person's trip. There's no monetary value on that.

If people sneak pets into pet-free hotels or sneak them into the room to avoid a deposit, there's a special level of hell reserved for them- simple as that. Hotel management NEEDS to know where pets have been in order to make people with allergies safe. No one is saying not to bring your pets to hotels where they are welcome, just be a responsible pet owner and a decent human being and let management know so that you don't case severe illness in someone else.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
After we checked into a La Quinta in Mansfield OH. we were told we had to sign a pet policy. It was long and legally binding. There was nothing on La Quinta's web site about this property having its own pet policy, let alone requiring a signature.

Has anyone else encountered a requirement to sign a pet policy? Just curious.
Different localities have different rules - I know that even though a chain may allow pets as a rule, some towns do not allow pets in any motel. I don't recall signing anything at a La Quinta but I did sign something along those lines when I stayed at another chain with my dogs.

I've learned to now check with the specific property directly to see what their policies are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets