Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times

Advertisements

When traveling from CA to TX and back again with my 3 parrots, I had to pay a refundable pet deposit in order to keep my birds in the room with me. It would have been a little difficult to try carrying parrots past a front desk clerk because even though I could put a blanket over their travel cage while carrying them in, they'd be squawking and making their sounds. I have to say that my birds were the best travel companions! They behaved themselves so nicely!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:17 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
When traveling from CA to TX and back again with my 3 parrots, I had to pay a refundable pet deposit in order to keep my birds in the room with me. It would have been a little difficult to try carrying parrots past a front desk clerk because even though I could put a blanket over their travel cage while carrying them in, they'd be squawking and making their sounds. I have to say that my birds were the best travel companions! They behaved themselves so nicely!!!!
To clear up what myself and Shelby were talking about when we said we sneak our pets in. Obviously that would not work on a one entrance building where the one and only door is in front of the front desk. We seek out the long strip motels with a seperate door for each room. With that you could have taking your birds in without telling.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:24 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Maybe so...but Kids dont have fleas
But they could have lice... or leave germs around the room that other humans could catch. lol Kids are also more likely to wet the bed.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:28 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Funny story....Last year we were visiting my MIL in Fl. She is in a nursing home down there and we always stay out on Long Boat Key. This time around at the last minute, my daughter decides to join us. She had just gotten a breeder kitten for her cattery and did not want to leave her alone, so we decided to take her along with us. Luck would have it, we are on the 15 floor....but not a biggie, her carrier looks like a gym bag...and into the elevator we go. I'm carrying the kitty potty, which is a tupperware cake carrier...complete with handle...again, no one knows what I have. Once in the elevator, some gentleman gets in on the 3rd or 4th floor and he is going up. Looks at the cake carrier and says how much he loves cake and he can almost smell how good it is! Little did he know!

Cats are probably the easiest....this kitten went to breakfast with us each morning ...just thru a jacket over the carrier and no one ever knew.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:19 PM

673 posts, read 2,717,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If I was required to sign a pet policy agreement I would have taken my business elsewhere LOUDLY.

20yrsinBranson
Well, we took our business elsewhere - when La Quinta kicked us out for objecting to the signature demand and desk clerk attitude that came with it.

We stayed at Drury Inn which went out of its way to make up for our bad pet experience at La Quinta. I'll probably associate watching our 14 year old Manchester Terrier hobble his way back to our vehicle in the dark and freezing rain with La Quinta for a very, very long time.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:43 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,535,239 times
I think most places we have stayed have required us to sign a pet form. We refuse to stay in places that require our pets to be crated. We're not against crating BUT our (large) dogs are not crated at home and do just fine in a hotel room without us. I suppose in my mind, I like the hotel/motels knowing our dogs are there in case of emergency and we aren't in the room. Someone can come and get our dogs. I'm probably delusional...but it puts my mind at ease. Plus I like housekeeping to know our dogs are there. Even though we put "do not disturb" sign on the door...you never know. Although, in the future I am not against Shelbygirl's idea.

I totally understand where people are coming from about the kids vs pets issue. It has always been a argument point with us...even more so with me. I would put up $$$ on our dog's bx any day against a child's bx. Our dogs are awesome and incredibly well behaved! We stayed at an extended stay hotel in Dallas for a month two years ago. They were so impressed with our dogs and our manners as owners they never charged us the fee upon leaving as we were told we would have to pay.

One of the few TRUE compliants I have had staying at hotels/motels with our dogs is against other pet owners who give us good pet owners a "bad" name by not picking up after their pet's poops!!! These are the folks that cause hotels/motels to charge a pet fee!! The other compliant is the obsurd "pet fee" some places charge...and then claim it is NON-REFUNDABLE regardless of no damage!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 PM

340 posts, read 645,880 times
Default Multiple times in multiple places

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
After we checked into a La Quinta in Mansfield OH. we were told we had to sign a pet policy. It was long and legally binding. There was nothing on La Quinta's web site about this property having its own pet policy, let alone requiring a signature.

Has anyone else encountered a requirement to sign a pet policy? Just curious.
I have only had to sign a pet policy at one particular hotel in downtown Oklahoma City. It came with a $100 non-refundable deposit

I considered it being worth it...it was my girlfriend's (now fiancee's) puppy that she had adopted just 4 months prior. I guess we got our money's worth, considering that the puppy found out where the corner of the carpet was and did some pulling (the damage was easily hidable ). I have stayed at that same hotel chain (see: one main entry) in other cities, still having to pay anywhere from $75-100, but not having to sign a policy. I begrudgingly pay because, usually, I am staying at that hotel long-term while on work deployment and receive per diem pay.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:53 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Those who love our pets enough to travel with them rather then tie them in the back yard and toss a gob of food to them once a day can say with certainty that they dont have fleas.

And since my wife is in Pharmacy I also know that more kids then you could guess at have fleas of a different type. Lets call them hair lice.
That's what you do with your pets if you can't travel with them?? And here I am thinking you're an animal lover...

You can't even compare the cleanliness of kids vs dogs. I can't believe you're even attempting to do such a thing. For one, dogs eat their own feces. Need I say more?

I also think it's incredibly inconsiderate to sneak your bird, cat or dog into a hotel room that doesn't allow pets. Ever think the people staying in the room after you could be really allergic? Seek out the hotels that allow animals (they are plentiful now, it's 2008), and pay the extra fee if they have it!

Coming from an animal lover, I can't believe the nerve of people.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:57 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Have you ever considered WHY hotels would want to know when someone has a dog? I'm very allergic to dogs. My dog is so called "hypoallergenic" and I still have reactions to her- though not as severe as, say, a golden retriever. I cannot visit my friend's homes with most types of dogs, even if the dog itself is not there because of the reaction.

Imagine what people like you do to me and the millions like me when you sneak a dog in, thinking you're all big and tough. You're causing serious health problems. I was much more allergic when I was younger and we had epi-pen situations in so called dog-free hotels. At the time, the ONLY thing I was allergic to was dogs so it was clear what the problem is.

In many hotels, the pet deposit goes toward properly cleaning the room to make sure that no allergens are left. At the very least, the hotel owners NEED to know which rooms have dogs to make sure when people like me call and make sure the room has not had a dog in it recently, they can give a truthful answer.

Honestly, it's people like those of you who sneak your dog and cats in that give all pet owners a bad name. How positively disrespectful.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
bull or dawg......cra$....the room is not cleaned any differently....the pet dep goes in the owners pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets