Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 05:39 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

I watched the first video before reading all the comments here. Initially I thought it was adorable, then I read the Youtube comments which were mostly ignorant, and then the negative comments here on this thread brought me back to reality. Yeah, it's pretty bad if you look at the big picture. How old is this monkey, and is it actually a baby? I don't know enough about monkeys to be able to tell. In some shots it looked like a 90 year old man with sideburns, at 1/10th the size.

If this monkey was abandoned it would have died in the wild without a family. Posters are ranting about clickbait and likes, but this reminds me of the old time street vendors playing an accordion with a monkey as a sidekick that were popular in Europe in the early 1900s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 04:53 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Dogs are a domesticated species. That evolution took thousands of years. They are not "bred in captivity."

So sad watching someone take a wild animal and dress it up like a child so they can get likes on social media. Disgusting.
Totally.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:54 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Do you want to change diapers for 40+ years? Not to mention the expense

They never achieve bowel/bladder control. They don't have the sphintcher muscles needed for such control.

Also, they develop a different personality once they reach puberty. They become aggressive and difficult to handle. Such are very difficult to re-home.

Get a dog or cat instead

Old 04-08-2024, 03:21 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No way! A monkey isn't a surrogate human baby and they don't deserve to be treated like one! People who raise them like that are incredibly selfish and cruel. They usually end up mentally/emotionally disturbed, frustrated, and violent. Once they reach adult size and strength they often end up abandoned in a cage alone, in some underfunded zoo or "rescue" so poorly socialized to their own species they have no life. And it's a long one. Personally, I simply don't understand why people would want any of the apes for a pet. I don't find them cute at all. They are certainly smart with an amazing capacity for learning but that goes along with an amazing capacity for suffering. Those are the very traits that make them such horrible pets. They don't want to be anyone's "pet"!
Couldn't agree more.

In some states you can still have big cats as pets. My aunts brother in law lives 3 blocks from me. He had a real male lion about 4 or 5 years ago. It was insane. He paid silly money for it as a baby. It was super cool until it got bigger than us. Then he ended up having to pay silly money for the people he bought it from as a cub to take it back as a young adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets