Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 07:03 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

This is the cutest monkey and the video is amazing. Smarter and better behaved than a human child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5pZHHRPzVg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 11:28 PM

I'm totally hooked on Monkey Bibi and his family. This gets quite emotional. Father and son reunion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr8ndBIOHqM

Old 03-21-2024, 01:28 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
No way! A monkey isn't a surrogate human baby and they don't deserve to be treated like one! People who raise them like that are incredibly selfish and cruel. They usually end up mentally/emotionally disturbed, frustrated, and violent. Once they reach adult size and strength they often end up abandoned in a cage alone, in some underfunded zoo or "rescue" so poorly socialized to their own species they have no life. And it's a long one. Personally, I simply don't understand why people would want any of the apes for a pet. I don't find them cute at all. They are certainly smart with an amazing capacity for learning but that goes along with an amazing capacity for suffering. Those are the very traits that make them such horrible pets. They don't want to be anyone's "pet"!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-21-2024 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-27-2024, 06:31 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Using an animal like this for internet clicks is abuse.

Old 03-27-2024, 06:35 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No way! A monkey isn't a surrogate human baby and they don't deserve to be treated like one! People who raise them like that are incredibly selfish and cruel. They usually end up mentally/emotionally disturbed, frustrated, and violent. Once they reach adult size and strength they often end up abandoned in a cage alone, in some underfunded zoo or "rescue" so poorly socialized to their own species they have no life. And it's a long one. Personally, I simply don't understand why people would want any of the apes for a pet. I don't find them cute at all. They are certainly smart with an amazing capacity for learning but that goes along with an amazing capacity for suffering. Those are the very traits that make them such horrible pets. They don't want to be anyone's "pet"!
I agree with this entirely.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:17 PM

I don't know the back story but if this monkey was rejected by its mother in the wild, it would have died. If it was bred in captivity like a dog to be a pet, then no one should have dogs either. He seems quite happy and attached to his humans so I don't see the harm.

However, how big will he get? He could become dangerous as he reaches sexual maturity. Then where would he go? He wouldn't be comfortable in monkey land or human land.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:55 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
He's only better behaved than a human child because he is just a baby. Adult monkeys are not so much fun to have around.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:26 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I don't know the back story but if this monkey was rejected by its mother in the wild, it would have died. If it was bred in captivity like a dog to be a pet, then no one should have dogs either. He seems quite happy and attached to his humans so I don't see the harm.

However, how big will he get? He could become dangerous as he reaches sexual maturity. Then where would he go? He wouldn't be comfortable in monkey land or human land.
That is what happens when humans "adopt" animal infants.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:02 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:

You don't see the harm? The harm is forcing a baby animal to behave and live like a toy; something it's not and never will be. A domestic dog is a product of many, many generations of selective breeding and yes, blunting its primary biological intent is part of all that. Chances are this monkey hasn't been selectively bred for temperament that allows it to co-exist more conveniently with humans. That will doom it to social, emotional and sexual frustration. How will all that most likely be expressed? Through rage, depression, and violence. What a terrible fate for a creature that doesn't deserve it.

Your questions are exactly what its keepers should have asked themselves before taking this on. There's another question more important than those; what's the best for the monkey? What humans might want should be a distant second. The better thing for the monkey, foundling or not, would be to place it with a monkey troop where it is free to become what it was intended to.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:05 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
If it was bred in captivity like a dog to be a pet, then no one should have dogs either.
Dogs are a domesticated species. That evolution took thousands of years. They are not "bred in captivity."

So sad watching someone take a wild animal and dress it up like a child so they can get likes on social media. Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets