Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 09:21 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Which is the best small size dog breed for a family? A small dog that is independent (no seperation anxiety) and not velcro clingy dogs. Short haired or not too much shedding and easy to train for inexperienced dog owner that are good with kids. A dog with a good temperament, passive easy going, sleeps through the night and not too barky. A few I had in mind are toy poodle, cockapoo, cavachon, havanese, maltipoo. Any others? Which is the best? Which would you pick?
Cavachon, maltipoo, cockapoos, etc are not actual breeds. They're mutts, and can get any combination of traits from one parent or another.

Buy a dog from a reputable breeder (ie: one that does not intentionally create mutts and health checks the parents) or adopt a rescue. A dog that's been living in a foster home is ideal because the foster family can tell you all about their personality. I'd focus on personality, energy level, and training needs instead of focusing on a specific breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 05:06 PM

1,100 posts, read 430,970 times
Mutts are great dogs. The best.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:35 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I have a mini poodle/schnauzer mix showing more schnauzer characteristics.

My caution about Schnauzers to OP is that

1.) Schnauzers are vocal and their "screech' can be ear piercing. 2.) Schnauzers are in the terrier group so they are high energy and prey driven. They need a lot of enrichment. 3.) They form a bond with one person - that's not to say that they won't be good with other people - but only one person will be their person and because of that, there is a tendency to develop separation anxiety. 4.) They may not get along with other dogs. I know some are perfectly fine with others dogs but mine is super reactive. You just don't know what you're getting until you've already got them. 5.) They require frequent grooming, their coat needs regular brushing as their fur gets easily matted. 6.) You have to be mindful of their diet as pancreatitis is common with their breed.

Doxies are super cute but are well known for having back problems. You have to be careful with them jumping on/off furniture and how they are lifted. Because of their fragile backs, IMO, they would not be a good dog for young children.

Beagles are vocal, high energy, and prey driven. Pugs (and other short nosed dogs) have breathing problems and you have be vigilant about their weight.

In my experience, you can do all the research, be patient and carefully choose the dog you think will fit all your wants/needs but the pup you end up with could have totally different characteristics once you get them home and they've adjusted.

I think you should look into getting a medium-sized, mixed breed that's two or three years old. Generally, mutts can be some of the best dogs with the worst of the genetic characteristics diluted. Check out your local shelter to see what's available.
I’ve bred Miniature Schnauzers for quite a few years now, and recommend them very highly.
Of course I am biased here, but if well bred, they are a very good family dog.
When crossed with a poodle to make a Schnoodle , they also make very good pets that don’t shed hair.
Cavoodles and Spoodles are all good designer cross breeds too.
Dachshunds are also a very good breed (my son has one) and normally have great temperaments, although they do have a tendency to bark a lot too if left alone for extended periods.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:06 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Dachshunds are also a very good breed (my son has one) and normally have great temperaments, although they do have a tendency to bark a lot too if left alone for extended periods.
My observation of dachshunds is the opposite. Headstrong and prone to dog, and small animal, aggression. They probably also tend to attract owners who don't realise the working pedigree of the dog and think its just a cute "sausage dog." Jack Russells probably sit in the same category.

Miniature schnauzers are nice little dogs. They always have a determined look on their face like they're about to take over the world. Nothing wrong with any of those poodle crosses either – and nothing wrong with just getting a plain old mini poodle.

Last edited by BCC_1; 01-07-2024 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets