Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 08:43 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times

Advertisements

A beagle. I may be wrong but aren't they classed as "low energy" dogs?

A shelter dog could be nice too. Staff are trained to assess the needs and behavior of dogs. They can tell you what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 09:22 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
A rescue that fosters in home. Those dogs are evaluated, trained, and socialized. Save a life. Don't shop, adopt.

And if you insist on buying a dog, please please please use a reliable breeder and get the dog microchipped!

Old 10-09-2023, 09:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post

A shelter dog could be nice too. Staff are trained to assess the needs and behavior of dogs. They can tell you what to expect.
Beagles are incredibly sweet, and get along with other dogs, but I wouldn't call them "low energy" at all. But in households with very rowdy children and lots of activity, they fit in well.

Old 10-09-2023, 12:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Beagles were bred for hunting rabbits and are anything but low energy dogs.

Old 10-09-2023, 12:52 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,056 times
I was going to say a Boston Terrier, but if you don't want Velcro clingy, forget it. My Boston follows me around like a...well, like a puppy dog!!!

Old 10-09-2023, 01:26 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Rat Terriers are sweet, loyal, intelligent, even-keeled and great with kids. The key with any breed is some decent training as pups including on a leash.

Old 10-09-2023, 01:44 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
We had beagles growing up and they are great with kids but are very high energy. Because they were bred to hunt rabbits they also are notorious escape artists. Your fence has to be very secure. They must be exercised daily.

Old 10-09-2023, 02:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Poodle hands down...I know a lot about them. In fact I think that will be my next one, too. My dog is up there in yrs.
No shedding smart as a whip!!!!

You think short haired dogs don't shed? OMG, do they.

Old 10-09-2023, 02:45 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
When I read this response, I couldn't help but laugh, such a debbie downer! When I mentioned inexperienced I mostly meant easy to train. I understand that all dogs are different but some dog breeds truly enjoy the company of children and are more so children friendly think goldens/labs etc. Of course you always have to supervise children around any pets but it's nice to know if a specific breed will gravitate towards a child in a friendly manner. Awhile back I fostered a rescue dog for quite some time. He was a small mix 17 pounds super loving, friendly, great with everyone. I still get emotional when I think of him as I feel like no dog could ever live up to him. I often compare him to other dogs I met at meet and greets. Once you had the best its hard to have any of the rest. It is also so difficult because although he was never truly mine I still really grieve the loss of him becauae I took care of him for months. He was really smart, loving, and respectful. The rescue that I fostered him from would not give me any details of his new home that adopted him and I feel like he was ripped away from me as I did not know this experience would impact me so profoundly and losing him just been an emotional nightmare. He was truly one of a kind and I feel like it is going to be so rare to ever get another dog just like him. I miss him so much.
I have a shih tsu. He's 20 lbs...so kind of big for his breed. He is a happy, joyful, playful little boy. He loves to play and play and play. He hasn't had TOO much opportunities to play with kids, but the couple of times that he has, he loved it.

The good things:

he doesn't shed.
He's a friendly happy boy
He wants to be friends with everyone and everything, except squirrels.
He's a bouncy boy
He's lovey dovey
Easily crate trained.

The bad things:

He's been stubborn with house training. He's 3 yrs old now...and still he will occassionally pee in the house.
Because he's a bouncy boy...he might be better with older kids (5 and up?) than littles and toddlers. I doubt they could be too rough to HIM, but he has claws and he likes to jump and be bouncy...so there's that.
Shih tsus like to chew. Make sure you have chew toys available.

Old 10-09-2023, 05:37 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,969 times
We have had many small dogs from rescues. They are fragile. I have to be careful walking them because of large dogs. Also they can't be left alone in the yard because of predators like coyotes, hawks, owls etc. They are a lot easier to clean up after than a large dog.

We had a pug who was less fragile and never had any medical issues with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets