Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 05:16 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

So first visit to a new vet (our previous vet has retired). Blood test (for heart worm) shows positive for anaplasmosis, a tick-bourne disease. Little Lover is prescribed doxycycline for 14 days.
Strangely enough, my doctor prescribed me the same medication for some symptoms I am having!!! 7 day regimen.

Here's the question, comment. My pills, 100 mg x 14 cost me $3.77 at my pharmacy. My dog's pills, 200 mg x 21 pills (I have to give him 3/4 of a pill twice a day) was $40!!!! I got those directly from the vet.
I believe doxycycline is the generic, so I am wondering why such a jump in price for the dog and if that can be attributed soley to dosage and number of pills. Still seems out of whack.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 10:19 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
So first visit to a new vet (our previous vet has retired). Blood test (for heart worm) shows positive for anaplasmosis, a tick-bourne disease. Little Lover is prescribed doxycycline for 14 days.
Strangely enough, my doctor prescribed me the same medication for some symptoms I am having!!! 7 day regimen.

Here's the question, comment. My pills, 100 mg x 14 cost me $3.77 at my pharmacy. My dog's pills, 200 mg x 21 pills (I have to give him 3/4 of a pill twice a day) was $40!!!! I got those directly from the vet.
I believe doxycycline is the generic, so I am wondering why such a jump in price for the dog and if that can be attributed soley to dosage and number of pills. Still seems out of whack.

Any ideas?
If you have to renew the dog's prescription ask a regular pharmacist if it's the same. It seems that all meds for pets cost more than the human equivalent. If you buy heartworm preventative for your dog it usually costs around $70 for a 6 month supply but you can buy ivermectin (which is the ingredient of heartworm preventatives) mixed with propylene glycol and a measuring syringe for $25 and you'll have enough for every dog in the neighborhood for a few years.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you have to renew the dog's prescription ask a regular pharmacist if it's the same. It seems that all meds for pets cost more than the human equivalent. If you buy heartworm preventative for your dog it usually costs around $70 for a 6 month supply but you can buy ivermectin (which is the ingredient of heartworm preventatives) mixed with propylene glycol and a measuring syringe for $25 and you'll have enough for every dog in the neighborhood for a few years.
Wow. no kidding? I didn't know that about Ivermectin.
I buy his Heartgard and Nexgard on Pet Meds. It is expensive, but....he's gotta have them.

I'm wondering if the cost difference is just what my insurance pays (for me) vs my dog, who while he has pet insurance, that doesn't cover meds.

I'll ask the pharmacist. TY!

Old 06-13-2023, 06:05 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,187,851 times
My husband found out through his insurance that the cost does differ with dosage and even pill type (capsule versus tablet). Different med but same situation, so I can see how the price would be different.

Did you try GoodRx? I was at a vet’s office yesterday and there was a display with prescription cards. The other issue is using your vet’s pharmacy—cost can differ based on pharmacy. One of the grocery store chains here in Florida advertises free meds for pets, for some prescriptions,

Old 06-13-2023, 08:40 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Wow. no kidding? I didn't know that about Ivermectin.
I buy his Heartgard and Nexgard on Pet Meds. It is expensive, but....he's gotta have them.

I'm wondering if the cost difference is just what my insurance pays (for me) vs my dog, who while he has pet insurance, that doesn't cover meds.

I'll ask the pharmacist. TY!
I have MetLife pet insurance with wellness and it pays 100% of the cost of preventative meds (and any prescription drugs) Before I had that insurance I ordered the ivermectin online it comes prepared and with a syringe to squirt it in the dog's mouth. I would post the link but I don't want anyone to think I'm advertising

Old 06-13-2023, 08:42 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
You can probably get the script for your dog at Walmart for a lot cheaper.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:10 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
You can probably get the script for your dog at Walmart for a lot cheaper.
I concur. I would put the difference in price down to one fact - you bought the drug from the vet. I rarely buy my pet pharma needs from the vet, for this reason. They are almost always available from another pharmacy for less $$. The doxycycline you get, and what your dog gets, are the same. 100%.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I concur. I would put the difference in price down to one fact - you bought the drug from the vet. I rarely buy my pet pharma needs from the vet, for this reason. They are almost always available from another pharmacy for less $$. The doxycycline you get, and what your dog gets, are the same. 100%.
Yep....I spoke to the tech over the phone and should have discussed whether they could write me an Rx so I could go elsewhere and save some $$. Costco is another place to try as well. Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna remember this for the next time.
When I did say 'oh, that price is high,' she said that it was less than I would pay at a 'people' pharmacy and I trusted that. Won't happen again.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:46 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Meds from the vet are sky high. Only get them there is the vet requires it (some do). I just had to get two meds for my dog...the vet required the first ones to be bought from him. We'll "talk" about getting a written script for next time. If he won't do that, I will change vets. He's a wonderful vet...I'd hate to change, esp since my dog is elderly with some issues. But the costs are starting to pile up, due to her age and medical issues.

I get pet meds at Walmart, when I get a written script. They are still high, but far less than from the vet. It's possible with your human meds, the place applies some sort of discount automatically, or it's the rate for people with insurance. WalMart applies some GoodRx discount automatically, even for the dog meds (they say). Walmart supposedly gives $4 meds....but I've never gotten that price for a dog med, even for her blood pressure pills, which are common HUMAN meds but low dose because she's a dog.

There is a serious problem with the pharmaceutical business. It's rigged in various ways.

Old 06-14-2023, 10:47 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
It does depend on the meds.

Some really are just for dogs/animals and your vet may be the only resource.

Some (quite a lot actually) are human medications dispensed in dosages for pets. And Walmart carries quite a few. Doxy, in particular, is one I'm quite sure Walmart carries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets