Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 05:37 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Because..... look at me! Look at me! I have a ferret!?!
I "sold" 2 ferrets just last week. One woman at a bar with her husband was totally overwhelmed seeing my ferret and holding it and she nudged her husband: We're off to Petco next week to buy a ferret.

At another bar I ran into 2 female roommates and they were debating whether to buy a cat or a dog. Seeing, holding my ferret, the decision was made: a ferret.

On all my ferret walks on the Las Vegas Strip over 22 years, I can't tell you how many ferrets I "sold", running into L.A. weekenders in Vegas. Ferrets are illegal in CA but I directed them to Exotic Pets and a number of them were intent on buying and smuggling it back to CA. I once ran into a female tourist from Moscow, she was smackdabbed seeing her first ferret, she wanted to know where to buy one and hopefully smuggle it back to Moscow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 11:41 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
A drunken ferret at a bar!
That’s different!

Old 06-08-2023, 02:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
I'm not a bar patron, but when I lived in downtown San Diego, I'd regularly see older women with small dogs in the shopping cart seat (where small kids are usually placed), most often in Ralph's or Ross Dress for Less. I've also seen several older women with tiny dogs in their giant purses over their shoulder as they walked the store. It might be as those were the 2 stores I most frequented.

The downtown Ralph's even allowed people (mostly younger women) to walk through the isles with their dogs on leashes. When I lived in Encinitas/La Jolla, many more people walked around with their dogs on leashes & would bring them into every store they visited, including hardware stores. It's a different culture.

I've never seen a dog inside a restaurant in SD... although I have seen a couple of dogs lying on the ground next to their owners who were eating at an outdoor table... but many stores have wide open doors due to the lovely weather & it's not uncommon to find a dog bowl filled with water outside a shop's door... seems there was one on each block in downtown/Gaslamp District.

I don't mind it one way or the other (doesn't matter cuz they allow it even if I don't like it), but I did worry about the teeny dogs on leashes in Ralph's getting their toes run over, given the speed with which I've seen some kamakaze shoppers take corners.

I'm allergic to dogs & wouldn't visit a cafe/pub if they allowed dogs inside... on the patio, I don't care. I'd mainly be concerned about sanitation & hair on tables or in my food. Again, I wouldn't complain about it cuz I can just choose not to go.

I've lived in 13+ states. I've only seen dogs welcome indoors in SoCal.

Here in the Des Moines area, there is a local brewery that's a place for dog owners to meet each other, Kinship Brewery... they've recently had some sort of singles night or some meet & greet event. And, it's not uncommon to find a dog friendly patio, like Lua Brewery. It's cool... a good way to break the ice.

https://kinshipbeer.com/#:~:text=Ima...%20in%20Waukee.

https://luabeer.com/

Old 06-08-2023, 02:30 PM

3,506 posts, read 762,448 times
i walked into a bar here in north bama with my alligator once and asked " do you serve rednecks in here ? " the beertender said " sure " . i said good then give my alligator one .. !

Old 06-08-2023, 04:30 PM

2,045 posts, read 783,243 times
After seeing the hair coming off a dog in a sunray in a bar, I'll never sit in a place that allows animals. Gross.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:12 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
After seeing the hair coming off a dog in a sunray in a bar, I'll never sit in a place that allows animals. Gross.
IME, people who take well-behaved pets along tend to take pretty good care of them so they're pleasant to be around (cleanliness, grooming, etc). Not to mention that the majority of them aren't sitting on the furniture. I'd tolerate a place that allows well-behaved pets over places lots of kids eat. Take a look at some people's offspring. Talk about GROSS! And they do sit on the furniture!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-08-2023 at 06:23 PM..

Old 06-08-2023, 05:32 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Sort of off-topic, but can your ferrets tolerate desert heat, or are they only outside at night or during winter? My understanding is that anything above 85-90F is too hot for ferrets.

On-topic, the first times I saw dogs in eating establishments were in a pub in Scotland and sidewalk cafe in Paris. This was long before it was OK to have dogs other than guide dogs in businesses in the USA. These dogs were so well-behaved & quiet that I didn't even notice them at first. That's the only way I would be OK with dogs in a restaurant. My dogs would not qualify, they aren't mellow enough & I know they wouldn't enjoy sitting/laying for a long time like that. I have seen other kinds of pets in restaurants & bars that I was not crazy about, such as boa constrictors & macaws. Bringing a critter like those into an establishment is stressful for people AND the critter.

Last edited by CalWorth; 06-08-2023 at 05:42 PM..

Old 06-08-2023, 06:57 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Don't ferrets have to be spayed to keep them from dying?

Old 06-08-2023, 07:42 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I "sold" 2 ferrets just last week. One woman at a bar with her husband was totally overwhelmed seeing my ferret and holding it and she nudged her husband: We're off to Petco next week to buy a ferret.

At another bar I ran into 2 female roommates and they were debating whether to buy a cat or a dog. Seeing, holding my ferret, the decision was made: a ferret.

On all my ferret walks on the Las Vegas Strip over 22 years, I can't tell you how many ferrets I "sold", running into L.A. weekenders in Vegas. Ferrets are illegal in CA but I directed them to Exotic Pets and a number of them were intent on buying and smuggling it back to CA. I once ran into a female tourist from Moscow, she was smackdabbed seeing her first ferret, she wanted to know where to buy one and hopefully smuggle it back to Moscow.
And I am sure that the border control agents at the Moscow airports will welcome her and the ferret with open arms.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:11 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Just wait until you see what comes off a human... you'd think these last few years would have taught us all about that! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets