Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 02:51 PM

148 posts, read 113,627 times

Advertisements

It seems that it's pretty common for people to hate cats but I almost never hear of people hating dogs and I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one.

Throughout the pandemic with working from home, the most annoying part of online work meetings was people with dogs. There's no worse sound in your ear than some obnoxious barking in the background. I don't understand how people live with this on a daily basis. Every time a car drives by or when the mailman comes to the door, it's like all hell breaks loose. Even the average alarm clock sound is less annoying to my ears.

And then there's the smell. Every time I go over to someone's house who owns a dog or even get in someone's car who owns a dog, I can smell it immediately. It's a musty stagnant water kind of smell. I'm hesitant to sit on their sofa because it's always covered in the smell, the hair, and slobber. I do notice that people with smaller dogs have less of a smell in their homes or cars.

I have a friend with a golden retriever and although he is really cute looking, the jumping up on my clean pants as soon as I enter the door and constantly sniffing me or licking me is gross. I have another friend with a Dachshund and although they don't jump, she does bark constantly until I sit down on the sofa.

And then you have dog owners who often times can be just as obnoxious as the dogs they own. No telling how many times I've been charged at by some angry looking Pit Bull at my local park and I hear "It's okay, he's friendly!" like 20 miles away from the owner who isn't even paying attention.

Even if you hate cats, you almost never have to deal with them when you go to a park or go over to someone's house because they are in hiding and aren't barking or jumping on your legs.

Does anyone else here dislike dogs?

Old 05-03-2022, 02:56 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Its not that I dislike dogs. Its like people. I like some people, most just annoy me. Same with dogs. I like a few dogs...I like mine, I like my friends dogs. Dogs in general? Probably not so much. I dont like big slobbery dogs that have no manners. I dont like pit bull types that can rip out my throat. I do like mannerly dogs, if they arent too big and dont scare me.

So I dont dislike all dogs, but I dont just blanket like all dogs either.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:52 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I also like some dogs. As the OP said, dogs are more likely to be right out there displaying various bad behaviors and unsavory bodily functions. Cat are not usually in your face like that, and they are generally clean and quiet. I'm kind of picky about dog breeds too; some I just flat out do not like, especially most toy breeds, although I recognize this is not fair to individual dogs.

But some dogs are great; I loved our dog. He was a pit bull, by the way. And I love almost all cats.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:21 PM

4,845 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
I
And then there's the smell. Every time I go over to someone's house who owns a dog or even get in someone's car who owns a dog, I can smell it immediately. It's a musty stagnant water kind of smell. I'm hesitant to sit on their sofa because it's always covered in the smell, the hair, and slobber. I do notice that people with smaller dogs have less of a smell in their homes or cars.
I'd rather smell a house full of dog than a dirty litterbox. All.Day.Long.

I've met a few dogs I could do without, but a whole lot more people.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:26 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Disliking/liking them across the board? No. Same for cats, though I tend to like more of the dogs I meet than the cats. Some of that is due simply to being more familiar with them. I am slightly allergic to cats so don't make a point of being around them. One thing I do tend to dislike about cats in general...I realize there are exceptions...cats are more predatory than dogs and are responsible for more indiscriminate killing of native wildlife. I also resent the many cat owners who do nothing to limit that behavior.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-03-2022 at 05:09 PM..

Old 05-03-2022, 05:38 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
It seems that it's pretty common for people to hate cats but I almost never hear of people hating dogs and I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one.

Throughout the pandemic with working from home, the most annoying part of online work meetings was people with dogs. There's no worse sound in your ear than some obnoxious barking in the background. I don't understand how people live with this on a daily basis. Every time a car drives by or when the mailman comes to the door, it's like all hell breaks loose. Even the average alarm clock sound is less annoying to my ears.

I have a friend with a golden retriever and although he is really cute looking, the jumping up on my clean pants as soon as I enter the door and constantly sniffing me or licking me is gross. I have another friend with a Dachshund and although they don't jump, she does bark constantly until I sit down on the sofa.

And then you have dog owners who often times can be just as obnoxious as the dogs they own. No telling how many times I've been charged at by some angry looking Pit Bull at my local park and I hear "It's okay, he's friendly!" like 20 miles away from the owner who isn't even paying attention.

Even if you hate cats, you almost never have to deal with them when you go to a park or go over to someone's house because they are in hiding and aren't barking or jumping on your legs.

Does anyone else here dislike dogs?
Yes, I do. I think they're annoying (with the barking), take way too much time to take care of, usually smelly like you said and gross with all that licking and slobbering. I just can't wrap my mind around what in the world is the appeal of them.

I've heard people don't care for cats because they don't give you affection, but both the cats I've had and have give me plenty; the one seemed to act more like a dog than a cat but without the negatives (he'd even fetch things for me).

But then, I often have different opinions than the majority of people out there which usually makes me wonder how in the world I'm the same species; it's usually the opposite with me (i.e. love rainy weather--especially on vacations; love getting vaccines; am more physically attracted to shorter men--tall men are a turn off to me. Those are just a few of them that pop into my mind).

Old 05-04-2022, 09:04 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who don't like dogs. Perhaps posting on a pet forum is not the best place to find them or to get your feelings reinforced.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:49 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
OP: You seem to have very limited experience with dogs, and people with dogs. A house does not smell like dogs just because there is a dog in the house, ours has never and that came from people who came in and were surprised there was a dog in the house. Not all dogs bark for every little reason or jump up on people. Not all dogs slobber.

I am not sure why you are looking for others here that will reinforce your dislike for dogs. Maybe try moving this to "Psychology" area of the forum.

Obviously, I don't dislike dogs, or other pets and cannot sympathize with you.

Frankly, if someone's house smelled like "dog" (our dogs were housebroken and kept clean), rather than complain about it, I would just avoid them. Anyone that can live in a house that smells probably also smells. I had to call the Health Department on the neighbor as her cat litter boxes for her 16 cats was entering our yard from inside her house. (She has gotten the assistance that she needs.) She smelled like a litter box, so I avoided her.

Yeah, when you tell people you don't like dogs, you are going to get some negative reactions. Most people I have encountered that didn't like dogs had been bitten, and it was not so much "dislike" as "fear" which is certainly justified.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:10 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
I was attacked by my uncles dog when I was 10 and ended up with over 40 stitches, plastic surgery, and weeks in the hospital. I still love dogs; in fact I love ALL animals. Dogs are one of the most loyal and loving companions you can have - any stray hairs they may leave behind are a small inconvenience to the much larger benefit they can bring.

If OP hates dogs so much, I can only hope he/she never gets a dog or gets involved with a dog lover. I know I could not be with anyone who had an antipathy towards an innocent creature.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:23 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who don't like dogs. Perhaps posting on a pet forum is not the best place to find them or to get your feelings reinforced.
Right? What a way to start a fight. lol

I like dogs and I always have. But I don't like it when people don't take responsibility for their dogs. For instance, if I'm out and about, I don't want a loose dog running up at me because it's owner isn't being responsible.

But hey, if someone doesn't like the smell of my house...don't come over. And if someone doesn't like hearing my dog bark during a zoom meeting...well, it wasn't MY idea to have to work from home during a pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets