Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 05:55 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

I have a very sweet and good neighbor who can't stand dogs. Our dog was a people-lover -- half Golden and half Lab, and it seems that she got a double dose of friendly in her DNA -- and even though she never jumped on anyone once she left puppy hood, she would run up to everyone expecting a pat. This neighbor, however, made it very clear that she didn't like dogs and so we made sure that our dog was kept close by us whenever we were near this neighbor.

I also had another neighbor who couldn't stand dogs, either, but he was just NASTY -- a true "get off my lawn" old guy.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:11 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Lots of people wouldn't keep a dog of any kind, not to mention a cat.

Also huge amounts of money get spent on dogs. Boggles the mind. Dogs in the US have better food, health care, and toys than kids in many third world countries.
Do YOU contribute financial assistance to kids in third world countries? If not, then why the gripe about what people spend on their pets? Moreover, have you never wondered why people in third world countries continue to breed kids into the world that they can't provide for? Pet owners have nothing to do with third world poverty issues.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:07 PM

1,861 posts, read 837,121 times
i like dogs if they like me, but everybody in my town has pit bulls, even the shelter nothing but pit bull, so you can just pet strays anymore

Old 05-04-2022, 08:15 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
One of many things I love about Australian cattledogs is lack of "doggy" odor. It was an advantage to their dingo ancestors not to give their presence away with scent while hunting. Even when wet they literally don't smell unless they just rolled in horse pucky. Ask me why I know. One breed I've usually liked temperament-wise are labs, but phew, that oily protective coat STINKS unless you bathe them all the time!
My older (16yo) dog is a Cattle Dog mix, and yeah - he doesn't have a natural odor that I've ever noticed! And I do notice it with other people's dogs sometimes, so it isn't that I'm nose-blind. I also notice him stinking more nowadays since he's arthritic, and not as good with cleaning himself. ACDs do normally clean themselves almost like a cat.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:21 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
I am more a cat person. I’ve actually not met a cat I didn’t like in a long time, except some that are overly demanding/needy. But I also understand their language to some extent.

I have a general disdain for dogs who bark constantly or at any little thing or at nothing at all. And dogs who have behavioral problems. But at the end of the day that’s more on the owner IMO. I also don’t really like small dogs for the most part due to negative childhood experiences but some I’ve grown to like. I’ve actually broken up with exes before strictly because I just knew I was never going to like their dog or my cats did not get along with the dog. My cats are very intuitive and I trust their instinct. Big dogs for whatever reason I tend to like more unless behavioral issues.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:30 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
I wouldn't say I "hate" dogs, because some of them seem fun and cute and all that, but I absolutely CAN'T STAND the barking. It is beyond me how some people put up with that noise.

Some dogs that don't bark, or don't bark much, are OK.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:26 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yes, I do. I think they're annoying (with the barking), take way too much time to take care of, usually smelly like you said and gross with all that licking and slobbering. I just can't wrap my mind around what in the world is the appeal of them.

I've heard people don't care for cats because they don't give you affection, but both the cats I've had and have give me plenty; the one seemed to act more like a dog than a cat but without the negatives (he'd even fetch things for me).

But then, I often have different opinions than the majority of people out there which usually makes me wonder how in the world I'm the same species; it's usually the opposite with me (i.e. love rainy weather--especially on vacations; love getting vaccines; am more physically attracted to shorter men--tall men are a turn off to me. Those are just a few of them that pop into my mind).
I am sure you never have a shortage of dates( no pun intended)

Old 05-04-2022, 09:31 PM

148 posts, read 113,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I wouldn't say I "hate" dogs, because some of them seem fun and cute and all that, but I absolutely CAN'T STAND the barking. It is beyond me how some people put up with that noise.

Some dogs that don't bark, or don't bark much, are OK.
I don't get it either. It bothers me for 5sec in a Zoom meeting until the person can mute their microphone. How does that person live with this barking every single day?

Even worse than big dogs are those nasty smaller dogs that I like to call "yap yap" dogs. The barking drives me nuts.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:49 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I do not dislike dogs per se but I cannot stand pitbulls,rotts,and to a lesser extent bulldogs. I love golden retrievers and poodles.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:53 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
I've known a few well behaved small dogs, but most of their owners do not bother to teach them any manners. That high pitched yapping is most unpleasant. And don't get me started on Chihuahuas with all that shaking and viciousness. The whole breed should be done away with. A clean dog with manners that does not get on the furniture, only barks when there is cause, doesn't bound up to strangers is a joy. My preference is the Bouvier Des Flanders, although dobermans are good, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets