Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 04:09 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That seems a bit harsh a conclusion. This sounds like a very calm, quiet dog; there ARE such dogs with such temperaments... Then there are bitey, aggressive dogs and yappy, hyper dogs. He prefers the first category. Nothing wrong with that. I'd be annoyed by a bitey, yappy dog 24/7 for 16 years, too. It doesn't mean I don't like dogs or prefer cats.

Or toys.

By the way, OP, I had just as strong a bond with one of my cats (he wasn't like a cat; he was more like a person, and he was my cat soulmate) who just passed away at age 17...

Yes, I am devastated and still cry every day for him. Unfortunately, that's just part of it.
OP says outright-- in the post I quoted-- that they want a pet who does whatever they want, only wants attention when OP wants to give it and doesn't want it when OP doesn't want to, etc. What part of expecting an animal to read the owner's mind and to only have needs when it's convenient for the owner isn't unrealistic?

And yes, the dog is quiet and calm-- or at least as far as OP knows. So how is OP going to ensure that any dog they get is equally quiet and calm, when each animal is an individual and none are likely to be the exact perfect fit to OP's laundry list of things they want in a pet and exhibit no traits that aren't on the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 04:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I don't think OP is planning to run out and get a dog today. His post was about being obsessed with another dog and wondering if that was normal. That's all.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:42 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Don't the Japanese make a little robot dog that will be quiet and charming and wag it's tail on command and then it can be out away on a shelf until it is wanted again? It sounds like that is more in line with what OP wants.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:43 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Don't the Japanese make a little robot dog that will be quiet and charming and wag it's tail on command and then it can be out away on a shelf until it is wanted again? It sounds like that is more in line with what OP wants.
But I think even that model dog barks. The OP says he doesn't want a dog that barks.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I think some of these responses are a bit...over the top... It is certainly possible to find a small old dog who is quiet and calm. Tons of them end up in rescues and shelters at an advanced age after their elderly parents have either passed away or gone into a nursing home. All they want is a safe place to land and a warm lap to while away their remaining days. Any reputable employee or volunteer there or, even better yet, foster home, will have a pretty accurate idea of a particular dog's personality, energy level, and disposition. Few will bite or bark uncontrollably, in my experience. It's not hard to find what OP likes.

But as I read the post, he's not actively looking. He's just enamored of a particular dog.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:39 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,279 times
Why don't you volunteer at your local animal shelter so you can interact with all kinds of dogs and even cats? You might fall in love with a cat even more.

Old 04-15-2022, 01:52 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,045 times
Don't get a dog until this obsession ends: you are setting yourself up for a failure that could last 15 years. Every animal is different! I've been in your shoes, moreso when I was dog walking/pet sitting and obsessed with the owner not taking good enough care/time with their dog. Worrying their dog isn't fed enough, etc... Even if you got a litter mate there's no guarantee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets