Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 05:21 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Not that it matters since you opted to go the backyard breeder route.
We tried!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 07:56 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
Alternatively...I got my latest rescue from a greyhound adoption group a few months ago. With Florida banning racing as of Dec. 2020 and other states closing their tracks, there are lots of greys available. I know you said you didn't want a big dog, but in case you change your mind.....
I went with a friend to West Memphis, Arkansas several years ago where he was picking up a retired racing greyhound he was adopting. He did volunteer work for the local hospice, taking the greyhound, or a bird or one of his other pets to visit a bedridden hospice patient for some "pet therapy". The patients couldn't wait to see what pet he was bringing with him. The greyhound wasn't hyper and was great for the job. One thing he learned from those big dogs though (he adopted another one a couple years later). He learned that peanut butter was a good treat for the dogs. He also learned peanut butter causes gas in greyhounds and that was something he definitely didn't need in his small house. lol

Old 01-16-2021, 07:59 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Personally, I can't just "drive out of state" to get a dog, lol.

IMO the term "backyard breeder" needs to be retired as a blanket condemnation. Someone who has a nice (physically and mentally) dog of an in-demand breed or type, provides proper health testing, prenatal care, and puppy tending, and finds good homes for each pup, is fine as far as I'm concerned.

It's people who are breeding into an already saturated market, not following protocols to produce mentally, physically and genetically healthy puppies, and/or not caring for the sires and dams properly, that need to be boycotted and shut down, whether they're show breeders, BYBs, commercial breeders, whatever.

Last edited by Frostnip; 01-16-2021 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-16-2021, 08:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This is kind of a vent, but also sincerely asking...

So our last dog died back in June. "We" (mostly me) have gotten serious about looking for another dog within the last month or two.

I'm not particular (too much) about the breed, and I'd prefer to get a rescue, but lawdy, IMO, these rescue groups put up a lot of barriers!

We found one little cutie, and when we inquired about her, we were told "she can only be adopted out to a single man. She doesn't like women". OK. well, since she'd be mostly MY baby, I guess that wont work. Other dogs/other rescue groups are like "must have fenced in yard, no other pets, must have vet references, and we will come check out your abode, and we will charge you $300, $400, $500 rehoming fee on top of all that." (I get charging a rehoming fee, as the rescue group does what it can to get the dog healthy, and recoup some of their costs, but sometimes I think "Brother, you're wanting me to rescue, rather than buy from a breeder. Maybe I should be charging YOU to take your rescue with obvious behavioral or medical issues."

The local humane societies don't seem to have the same restrictions...but in our area, the dogs are all some mix of pits or labs. And if they're NOT pits or labs, they're seniors on medications for the rest of their who-knows-how-long-they-have-left lives. We've already lost 2 dogs in 2 years to old age. I'd like to have a dog that would have a few years left in them...you know?

I've even resorted to looking on Craigslist for dogs. Most of the time, when a dog is available, what I'm seeing is someone giving up their dog for this or that reason...and AGAIN, they want a "rehoming fee" and they want (again) a $200, $300, $400 rehoming fee. One or two that I saw was justifying the rehoming fee because they'd also be throwing in some extra dog food, blankets, bed...whatever. And again, I think to myself "You're trying to 'give' a dog away with issues."

Sigh. I really didn't want to have to buy a puppy, for a few different reasons, but I'm considering it.

Plus...maybe there's a shortage on available dogs because of the pandemic, and everyone wanting a companion...I don't know.

But my question...are there other resources I haven't considered? I've even looked as far as 100 miles away.

My last two digs I got from relatives who passed away or couldn’t keep their dog anymore. Both dogs were senior dogs. Still great dogs. They required normal vet visits once in a wile sime pills for sme infection etc. my current dogs were
1. Got it from the pound. $230. Covered chip, spay, one wellness check, adoption papers and dog license.
2. Got it from a uncle who passed and asked me to take his dog. I agreed. She’s a older dog (boxer) but
after a few months she came into her personality.

The reason these places charge is because they need the money BUT they do the checks because they don’t want to have people who are not a match for the dog. Doesn’t make sense to give the dog then the person returns it three months later cause they can’t really take care of them.
Dogs are like three year old kids that can’t talk.

You can put ads on Craiglist looking for a free dog.
You can go to the pound and pick up a stray. You can do a lot of searching online

Petfinder.com

Old 01-16-2021, 11:11 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
So far, he's peed on the floor once, and he's now chewing on the puppy pad (pads we had from when we had our previous dogs.)

This will be a process. LOL
So happy for you! I will say it took over a year for our maltipoo to be fully trained. I felt like a bad dog-mom until the vet said these little guys just take a long time to train. It may have been a communication problem, as well, not sure if he knew to tell me he needed to go and that I knew to look for his cues. Congrats and best wishes!

Old 01-18-2021, 08:02 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Personally, I can't just "drive out of state" to get a dog, lol.

IMO the term "backyard breeder" needs to be retired as a blanket condemnation. Someone who has a nice (physically and mentally) dog of an in-demand breed or type, provides proper health testing, prenatal care, and puppy tending, and finds good homes for each pup, is fine as far as I'm concerned.

It's people who are breeding into an already saturated market, not following protocols to produce mentally, physically and genetically healthy puppies, and/or not caring for the sires and dams properly, that need to be boycotted and shut down, whether they're show breeders, BYBs, commercial breeders, whatever.

I think Ziggy was the only puppy born. When the lady posted the ad, she had a picture of him, and said that HE was 11 weeks old, and available for adoption...as opposed to "they" were available...or anything like that.

And to reiterate, he'd already had a couple of shots, and been dewormed.

He's a bouncy self-confident, kind of fearless little boy, who's friendly with everyone he meets. Basically, since day one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets