Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 04:12 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times

Advertisements

Thanks Frostnip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 07:54 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I got my last dog over 10 yrs ago & I knew that that time, I wanted a more unique purebreed that I wanted to raise from day 1. Growing up as a child, I've had mixed breeds, etc. from puppies that a family member had, a stray that wandered into the yard, etc. & I wanted a Boston Terrier, which I got.

This won't work as well now that's it's COVID times, but I had such genuine fun in the process of researching a few narrowed-down breeds I wanted, researching good foods, supplies, etc. & attending dog shows (which they probably canceled these days), talking to breeders & handlers, & putting myself on (puppy) litter lists so I can be contacted when another litter of puupies were born. I came to meet this lady who was big in the dog show world & a VP of one of the Boson Terrier Clubs of America. I came to her home to see the pupy she had (I wanted a male & she had 1). I didn't get to choose from the litter. The 1 male puppy is all she had at the time. He was very cute & I let her know I wanted him ASAP before anyone else snapped him up.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:19 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are USDA laws about bringing dogs across the border. At a minimum, the dog would need a valid rabies vaccination and that must be at four months or older.

Because there is a lot of rabies in Mexico and a lot of agricultural disease and pests, there are going to be laws to follow. I suggest that you contact the USDA veterinarian and get the requirements for importing a dog from Mexico. It's possible that the dog would need to be quarantined upon arrival into the States
One of my neighbors here in Tucson, has a second home in Puerto Penasco, Mexico, and when she drives down there she always takes her dog with and back. So! How would they know if you bought a dog in Mexico and you crossed back across the border with it?

Old 01-16-2021, 07:17 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,878,692 times
My advice is put your money (the $500-1000) into gasoline for your car, and drive somewhere else to pick one up.

Our local shelters and the pound are absolutely overwhelmed - and while there are always many pit-mix - there are many NOT pitmix as well - please - check outside your state if necessary. Lots of labs and beagles and boxers and terriers all over the place.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:04 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
My advice is put your money (the $500-1000) into gasoline for your car, and drive somewhere else to pick one up.

Our local shelters and the pound are absolutely overwhelmed - and while there are always many pit-mix - there are many NOT pitmix as well - please - check outside your state if necessary. Lots of labs and beagles and boxers and terriers all over the place.
I live in the same area as the OP, it's the same here. No need to drive hundreds of miles when so many local shelters and rescues are full of dogs. Op wanted to go the route of supporting a backyard breeder, so it doesn't really matter what animals are in shelters.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I live in the same area as the OP, it's the same here. No need to drive hundreds of miles when so many local shelters and rescues are full of dogs. Op wanted to go the route of supporting a backyard breeder, so it doesn't really matter what animals are in shelters.

Thank you for speaking for me. Not.

When is the last time you checked our shelters? Pitties and labs are what's available. I said multiple times, I didn't want a big dog.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:08 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One of my neighbors here in Tucson, has a second home in Puerto Penasco, Mexico, and when she drives down there she always takes her dog with and back. So! How would they know if you bought a dog in Mexico and you crossed back across the border with it?

Because you must present your dog's health papers each and every time you cross the border. Usually in both directions, but definitely when entering back into the USA.

Of course, you could try hiding the dog in the trunk of your car and try to smuggle it into the country, but I guarantee, you would not be happy with the consequences if you got caught, and they are pretty good at detecting smugglers.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Thank you for speaking for me. Not.

When is the last time you checked our shelters? Pitties and labs are what's available. I said multiple times, I didn't want a big dog.
I was not speaking for you. The other poster suggested traveling to another city to adopt. I was simply saying there's no need to drive hundreds of miles to adopt a dog when there are so many great shelters and rescues in the area.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was not speaking for you. The other poster suggested traveling to another city to adopt. I was simply saying there's no need to drive hundreds of miles to adopt a dog when there are so many great shelters and rescues in the area.

That poster lives in So. California, I believe.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
That poster lives in So. California, I believe.
Not sure what S. California has to do with local animal shelters. I don't think that poster was suggesting you drive out to California, but rather that you drive out of state since there are dogs available "all over the place."

Not that it matters since you opted to go the backyard breeder route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets