Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,610,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm actually partial to cats overall, but now (after having one for almost 12 years) can't imagine life without a dog! So in response to the folks saying your lifestyle isn't "compatible" with a dog, I just wanted to respond to a few points.

- Dogs don't need much "space" (in terms of actual living space), as long as their exercise needs are being met; those needs differ from dog to dog, but usually a 30-60min walk + potty breaks if you don't have outdoor space is sufficient. I've lived in a 600sf apartment without balcony/patio with my 50lb dog, and his behavior was no better or worse than when we lived in a 1200sf house with a yard.

- Once they're past the potty-training/puppy stage, most dogs can hold it just fine during a human's normal work day. I work 8-9 hour variable shifts, always have, and Rudy never has accidents. Generally speaking (health conditions excepted), 10-11 hours is about the maximum time you should ask them to hold it. But I honestly don't understand why people are saying "you need a mid-day dog walker," unless it's a puppy or dog with bladder issues. Mine has managed just fine without mid-shift walks for 12 years now!

- In terms of noise levels, honestly my cats make more noise than my dog. But again, this differs depending on the breed and individual personalities. If you want a dog who's quieter, avoid tiny yappers like Pomeranians, Shih Tzus, Chihuahuas, etc. They tend to be more reactive; as I've joked before, they'll bark if a cricket farts a block away. Also, don't get a Beagle or hound dog, unless you want nasty notes from your neighbors. If you want a REALLY quiet dog, Basenjis actually "yodel" instead, and husky/northern types "woo woo" (which I personally find more pleasant).

- Finally, forget whatever you've been conditioned to believe about large vs small dogs, as most people think the opposite of what's actually true. Large dogs tend to be quieter, can hold their bladders longer, (often) have lower energy levels, and don't need gigantic yards or 2000sf homes to be happy. Believe it or not, something like a St. Bernard or Greyhound usually fares better than Chihuahuas and the like when it comes to apartment living. I'd also recommend adopting a young adult instead of a puppy, since they should already be potty trained and more capable of staying home alone.

Good luck with whatever you decide!! I can't decide myself, which is why I have 3 cats AND a dog.
I agree with most of what you have said, except one major point: I do not consider huskies apartment/condo dogs. I love them dearly, but their exercise needs are enormous. Agree that a greyhound is a great dog for a small space, if they get a daily run. They're called the "40-mph couch potato" for a reason!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 04:37 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,056,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I agree with most of what you have said, except one major point: I do not consider huskies apartment/condo dogs. I love them dearly, but their exercise needs are enormous. Agree that a greyhound is a great dog for a small space, if they get a daily run. They're called the "40-mph couch potato" for a reason!
You are absolutely correct about the Huskies - just mentioned them as a "less barking" kind of dog, but forgot I was also suggesting apartment-friendly dogs. You CAN have a Husky in an apartment, but it'll require serious commitment to their exercise needs.

My old neighbor had a young Husky, and he literally chewed up the entire door frame (both back AND front doors) from boredom. I suggested taking him for a 30-minute jog or brisk walk before she left for work every morning, in addition to his evenings walks, and that did improve his behavior. But not everyone can handle that, so it's not the breed I'd recommend for apartments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets