Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:21 PM

430 posts, read 335,797 times

Advertisements

I'm adopting soon and found two I really like but, due to rent and apt. rules, can only have one and I'm torn between the two.

There's an older guy who caught my attention because when I walked in, he turned to look at me all wide eyed and leaned forward a bit. I never had a cat do that with me and he did, smelled me, and leaned forward. I pet him and he seemed to like it than gave everyone who walked in the same look. He's 11 and a bit old but I like him.

Then there's a younger cat that's about four and super chill. Was laying down the entire time I was there. Looked up, I pet him, he put his paw up to stretch and didn't mind me grasping the foot gently (it looked like he was declawed and I was curious to check). He was ultra friendly and they said he's one of their most chill cats. He normally likes to play, apparently, but was recovering from something so wasn't up for it.

I haven't owned a cat in years and don't know if I would have the experience for the older cat, but I really liked him and something about him just keeps me wanting to go back to pet him. I'd gladly adopt either, but I'd like some advice on which would be better for a beginner.

And please don't suggest a kitten. I made it clear to the rescue workers that I desire a cat over the age of two. I don't have the patience or time for a kitten, honestly, and they go out quick anyway so I'd rather settle for an adult I know would most likely still be there due to age, giving me a little bit of time.

Now if both cats were suddenly adopted, I'd still like some advice on which age would be more recommended for someone like me since it is a cat shelter and they always got babies for adoption. The staff know personalities and I get that can make a bigger impact than age, but I know older cats can have health/behavioral concerns and I'm not the most experienced dude on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
It seems like you really have already decided. If you are still thinking of the older cat, that's the one to take. The fact that he interacted with you is a good sign. The super chill cat probably likes all people, so he was just happy to have attention.

I have adopted multiple cats from rescues. In my experience, you just have a gut feeling and go with it. I went in to a rescue once to look at two specific bonded cats I really wanted. The second I walked in, one cat ran right to me, climbed up my legs and grabbed hold of my shirt. Wouldn't let go and growled at every other cat that I went to. The ones I went to see were also chilled out and let me pet them, but didn't really show any other interest. Needless to say, I went home with the cat that interacted with me.

Additionally, keep in mind that the older cat has less chance to get adopted, and still has plenty of years left.

In the end, again, go with your gut. All 3 of my cats were rescues, and all 3 were picked because I couldn't stop thinking about them.
Post pics when you get your new fur baby

Old 06-16-2017, 06:09 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
I'm adopting soon and found two I really like but, due to rent and apt. rules, can only have one and I'm torn between the two.

There's an older guy who caught my attention because when I walked in, he turned to look at me all wide eyed and leaned forward a bit. I never had a cat do that with me and he did, smelled me, and leaned forward. I pet him and he seemed to like it than gave everyone who walked in the same look. He's 11 and a bit old but I like him.

this is my older cat that I adopted from a shelter a few years back. She is absolutely adorable and no trouble whatsoever.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:11 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
I always tell the shelter - "point me in the direction of the oldest animal that needs out of here the most". If it was me I would adopt the older cat who probably will be there for a while.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:40 PM

417 posts, read 191,152 times
Default Go for the old guy!

Older cats are often overlooked and are not as likely to be adopted. Most people go for the kittens or younger cats. Go for it, give the old guy a forever home.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
It seems like you really have already decided. If you are still thinking of the older cat, that's the one to take.

Additionally, keep in mind that the older cat has less chance to get adopted, and still has plenty of years left.
I agree. And 11 is middle-aged for a cat; he's probably got many years left ahead of him, so I wouldn't let his age put you off. But I also think there's no harm in going back and checking out both cats again before you make your final decision.

Last edited by Aredhel; 06-16-2017 at 08:00 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 07:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I always tell the shelter - "point me in the direction of the oldest animal that needs out of here the most". If it was me I would adopt the older cat who probably will be there for a while.
It was too soon to rep you, but I must say that that's the right way. The animals whom no one else wants are wonderful.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,151 times
Another thing to consider is if either of the two cats are declawed, or even just front-declawed.

If you are a person who will want to and will be careful to maintain an indoor-only home, then by specifically choosing a declawed cat, you'll be giving that extra level of care and protection for that feline.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:07 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Go back and meet them again. Older cats don't generally have more behavioral problems and the shelter can tell you if there are health problems.

My cat is a rescue and I asked for help with personality, never mentioned age or looks, and I got the cat of my dreams. She was 6 or 7, around there, and I love her so much that if I had only had her for 2 minutes, it would have been worth it.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:41 AM

430 posts, read 335,797 times
I'm not a fan of declawing, tbh, but I'll go back. I really am leaning towards the older guy, I just don't have cat experience and don't know if it'll be smart. I'll ask the shelter more questions about him to be sure he's the one.

While I'm here, any recommendations on what to buy or why I'm missing? I'm thinking of a litter box, food, litter, a scratching tower I found that goes up to my window, a stainless steel bowls (recommended), some pipes to hide my reachable wires and cords, a fuzzy wand and mouse things, and obvious food. Then a nice collar, in case the cat somehow escapes my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats