Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:21 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,387,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
My sisters kept mice so I was around them a lot. Personally, I prefer rats to mice. Rats are more interactive, intelligent, don't smell nearly as much. "Fancy" rats bred for pet temperament are wonderfully engaging! They will be less lonely if kept in pairs however.
Unfortunately I never had the chance to have a rat. Another family member did though several years ago, and that rat was the sweetest creature I'd ever seen. Very intelligent and interactive, he'd jump into your lap if you were sitting down and would cuddle with you, would follow people around the house...unfortunately, wasn't treated the best (children would play with him unsupervised) and he met an early demise when one of them decided he needed a bath, and put him in ice cold water. Poor little guy...he got so sick from that and never really recovered.

If I'd had an opportunity to keep rats, I definitely would have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:49 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,061,608 times
In terms of caged-type pets, I'm partial to snakes and guinea pigs. Snakes are generally VERY easy to care for, and will literally not even notice if you're gone for a week... just feed them a few days earlier (so they can poop/pee before you leave), make sure they have clean bedding, fill their water bowls, and they're good for 7-10 days. Downside is that they're not super "cuddly" or interactive, with the exception of certain species. Of all the snakes I've had, my Jungle Carpet Python and Western Hognose have been the most friendly/sociable. The rest basically couldn't care less that I exist.

As for guinea pigs, I had 3 of them for years, and they were all super friendly! They're bigger than small rodents like mice or hamsters, and therefore easier to handle (and harder to lose). They also make the cutest little "wheek" sounds, especially when they know it's feeding time... mine learned the sound of the refrigerator's crisper drawer, where I kept their veggies, and would WHEEK WHEEK from across the house when I opened it. They also "popcorn," which is when they jump up and down like popping corn, when they get excited about anything. I really loved them, but they aren't what I would call low-maintenance for caged pets. They do require a lot of attention, need to live with other piggies, and proper care means feeding fresh veggies, hay, etc, 2-3x/day. But if you went on vacation for a week or so, they'd also be perfectly fine in the care of a sitter or friend. I don't think they strongly bond with their human, like a dog or parrot for example.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:36 PM

2,610 posts, read 2,208,315 times
I've always wanted a Guinea pig. Love the sounds they make. But I like to fall asleep with a cat cuddling. Probably not a good idea with a Guinea.

I've had hamster. The larger sized ones have better temperament. I googled golden hamster, that must be what I am thinking of as "standard" size. The two I had in the past could be handled easily and never bit. I got my son a miniature hamster but it was very hyper and bit. I tried to no avail to get it used to being handled but it never worked. I asked someone at pet store if they were always that way, she said yes, the larger sized ones make better pets.

I had a mouse when I was 12 or 13 and it would sit in my hand and I would feed it. My baby sister however was fascinated with it and brought it to bed with her one night. Poor thing was dead in bed in the morning.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:35 AM

22,120 posts, read 13,137,630 times
I wouldn't want anything that requires another of its own species to live (or be happy). That's how you get into a vicious cycle: one dies, so you have to buy a replacement; then the original dies, and you have to buy a replacement for the replacement.

So which would be most dog- or cat-like in terms of intelligence, attachment, and affection among the rodents?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:37 AM

"I've had hamster. The larger sized ones have better temperament. I googled golden hamster, that must be what I am thinking of as "standard" size. "

Yes; I think these are also known as the Siberian hamsters? At any rate, the Golden is what most pet stores regularly stock. As I say, I never had a problem with biting, but only had Goldens.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:29 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,061,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I wouldn't want anything that requires another of its own species to live (or be happy). That's how you get into a vicious cycle: one dies, so you have to buy a replacement; then the original dies, and you have to buy a replacement for the replacement.
Yeah, I was afraid of that too! But once my favorite died (of cancer @ age 5), and the next oldest seemed to be fading, I gave them to a nice local family - with the promise they'd get the youngest a new friend when Cleo died. You could also get two of the same age, and hope they pass away within a few months of each other. I think they'd be okay alone for that short amount of time?

Quote:
So which would be most dog- or cat-like in terms of intelligence, attachment, and affection among the rodents?
A dumbo rat? I actually refuse to feed rats (live) to my snakes - just mice - since rats have too much personality! I even kept a feeder early on as a pet, but unfortunately my roommate's dog knocked his cage down and killed him.

Sorry to be a bummer, but I'd definitely consider a rat if you want something friendly, smart, and not overly dependent. They do like having rat friends, but should also be fine alone with enough human attention. Hamsters are cute, but in my experience just not easy to handle and easily lost/escaped.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:39 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,246,051 times
Quote:

I would agree with previous posters regarding rabbits being a poor choice. I absolutely loved them when I had them. But to keep them properly they are an amount of work that is supriing to some, although they make up for it in cuteness and cuddles.

Rats have been mentioned and they may be a good fit if you have a big anough anclosure to keep their minds stimulated. As mentioned they are quite smart, and bond to people. I think they make terrific pets, but the more they are hndled the better so if you will have limited interaction, not sure they are ideal. But they are certainly on par in terms of intelligence and bonding as a cat. There's nothing in the rodent world that will compare to a dog in my opinion.

I would actually urge you to reconsider cats. Specifically two cats. When I lived alone and traveled a lot I had two - a brother and sister - and it worked out quite well. They were interactiive and cuddly but I felt better leaving them alone knowing they had each other. I would have a pet ditter come in to make sure their food/water/litter was taken care of. For me if I was traveling again like I was then, two cats would be the way to go.

Another to consider might be a snake, especially one of the varieties like an indigo if legal in your state. They actually love human contact if they are handled enough and can therefore be pretty companionable. You probably would not need a pet sitter to come in quite as often, although depending on your schedule you can't avoid it entirely, in my opinion, and be a redsposible pet parent.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:48 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,610,931 times
Quote:
I had a series of golden hamsters as a child and always felt very bonded to each one. From this vantage point, I attributed that to merely being a child at the time, but maybe there's more to it than that. Would this then be the small pet of choice (say over a guinea pig, rat, mouse, ferret, etc.)?
Are you thinking now of a pet that can travel with you?

One thing you did not mention was how extended your travels would be, or your means of travel (car, plane, boat?) and that's an important factor.

Forget about birds. They are not low maintenance, and they are not easy to take along on trips. Not only are most birds highly social, but their food and water must be changed daily, so again, you would have to deal with getting a petsitter.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 10-06-2017 at 04:56 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 07:20 AM

I'm thinking a hamster, at this point. They live only 2-3 years (the length of time I expect to be on the road), are solitary creatures (in fact, you can't pair/group them), and are nocturnal (would be asleep when I was out all day). Of course, temperature control would still be a concern, but my plan is to "follow the weather." Also, I can imagine the possibility of some friendly camper who sticks around all day allowing that little cage taking up a corner of their rig in exchange for a favor on my part if the temperature is an issue. It would be much easier than finding a dog-walker or cat-sitter. And while you can develop a bond with them (I did while growing up), they're not highly evolved or emotionally dependent that they'd suffer when left alone for hours at a time. So what could be the downside of this plan?

Old 10-07-2017, 01:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,435,781 times
Quote:
At some point in the future, I hope to do a lot of traveling, but am aware that the usual pets - dogs and cats - can make that difficult. I've always had one or the other, but am realizing that either taking them with me or leaving them behind with pet sitters would each present its own set of difficulties and complications. I'm considering a lower-maintenance pet -- such as a rodent or bird -- for that period of my life for either ease in taking them with me or in having another care for them in my absence. However, I can't image that one can develop an actual relationship (or at least not as deep and meaningful bond) as with a more highly evolved, emotional, and intelligent animal. If you own a guinea pig, hamster, ferret, rabbit, parakeet, canary, etc., please weigh in with your experience and opinion...
Why not wait till your travel plans have been satiated before buying the pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets