Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:11 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times

Advertisements

They do allow out of state adoptions and even have rescue railroads to haul animals to inspected homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:38 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Most rescues will be non profits with a 501(c)3 Tax status from the IRS. If they are fairly new they may not but should be in the process of getting. Ask for a copy of their determination letter or application with the IRS. If they have not started the process (it's expensive and takes some time) then ask for a reference from their vet(s). Take a good look at the adoption application and the contract too, the docs are usually on the groups website.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:40 PM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Most rescues will be non profits with a 501(c)3 Tax status from the IRS. If they are fairly new they may not but should be in the process of getting. Ask for a copy of their determination letter or application with the IRS. If they have not started the process (it's expensive and takes some time) then ask for a reference from their vet(s). Take a good look at the adoption application and the contract too, the docs are usually on the groups website.
We are all of the above.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'm not and probably won't ever be 501c3. It costs a fortune - money that I'd rather put into the care, feeding and vetting of my fosters, as well as money to donate to local S/N programs, feeding programs, etc. Even going through Petfinder's program it's hundreds of dollars. And then the paperwork.......... ugh!

On the other hand there is a rescue near me that has over 200 puppies at all times. They're listed through PF and also have a 501c3. Their facility is a filthy disgusting mess and they have had many adoptions go through with puppies that were sick. And I know for a fact they're not adopting, they're breeding. No rescue has that many purebred puppies. And yet, they've got their 501c3.

So being a 501c3 does not necessarily make you a good rescue.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'm not and probably won't ever be 501c3. It costs a fortune - money that I'd rather put into the care, feeding and vetting of my fosters, as well as money to donate to local S/N programs, feeding programs, etc. Even going through Petfinder's program it's hundreds of dollars. And then the paperwork.......... ugh!

On the other hand there is a rescue near me that has over 200 puppies at all times. They're listed through PF and also have a 501c3. Their facility is a filthy disgusting mess and they have had many adoptions go through with puppies that were sick. And I know for a fact they're not adopting, they're breeding. No rescue has that many purebred puppies. And yet, they've got their 501c3.

So being a 501c3 does not necessarily make you a good rescue.
Agree with all of the above.
Voice For Pets
We have no facility.
All our rescues are in foster care until they find their forever homes.
And we sure could use some more fosters.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,037 times
I've been looking at Pyrenees rescue dogs. I've had 3 and 1 litter of puppies so know what the breed requires. I was just wondering why a rescue fee is so high? I was looking at the older dogs ie; 7-8 yrs old and it's still $350. These guys eat a lot! Grooming fees are high ($100) and then vet bills. Not being cheap, but my current Pyrenees is older and lonely..... I even bought him 2 sheep so he'd feel like he had more of a "job" than just watching his people.

If someone passes a home check and vet check, then wouldn't organizations rather place the dogs in a good home? I had even contemplated taking a couple of dogs, the more the merrier, but..........hmmmmm. And yes, I get kitties from the SPCA and we take them supplies (food, paper towels, kitty litter) regularly.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:53 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I've been looking at Pyrenees rescue dogs. I've had 3 and 1 litter of puppies so know what the breed requires. I was just wondering why a rescue fee is so high? I was looking at the older dogs ie; 7-8 yrs old and it's still $350. These guys eat a lot! Grooming fees are high ($100) and then vet bills. Not being cheap, but my current Pyrenees is older and lonely..... I even bought him 2 sheep so he'd feel like he had more of a "job" than just watching his people.

If someone passes a home check and vet check, then wouldn't organizations rather place the dogs in a good home? I had even contemplated taking a couple of dogs, the more the merrier, but..........hmmmmm. And yes, I get kitties from the SPCA and we take them supplies (food, paper towels, kitty litter) regularly.
adoption fees go toward the rescue's vetting and other expenses for the dogs in their care......

Old 06-04-2014, 10:46 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
I worked with Planned Pethood In Northwest Ohio. Planned Pethood, Inc. : Home

One thing about this particular organization is that in only took in animals within a specific several county region in the area. Help begins at home and they limited their intake to this area. There are more than enough animals in your own backyard as they say to tend to. Others were referred.

When redoing the website, after being a foster for so long, there was some repeated things I was seeing and some of it seemed like a no brainer to all of us who are so close to the issue and having animals, so there was a 'Before You Adopt' section on the website. We all want to adopt out our fosters so much, but we need to make sure there is a good fit.

Before You Adopt
Planned Pethood, Inc. : Dogs : Before You Adopt

Old 09-27-2016, 05:56 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
For the last few years I have donated to a rescue group in Colorado called National Mill Dog Rescue. They go to auctions at puppy mills :-( and buy the dogs that have outlived their breeding years or puppies that have a defect that would make it unsellable to a pet store. Many of their dogs need a lot of patience as they have been traumatized from years in a cage and might be a little harder to housebreak. They have all kinds of purebred animals. I was hoping to adopt another Chihuahua from them but they don't out of state adoptions.

My issue with a lot of rescue groups is their demand that you have a fenced yard. Yes, I can understand this if you are adopting a large dog or even a high energy small dog. But there are dogs that are content with being walked to do their business and maybe one long walk a day for exercise. Then there are tiny dogs who can be trained to use a pee pee pad during the day and have one walk a day just for fun. But some of these rescue groups insist you have a fenced yard even if you have a 5 pound dog and a dog park near your house.

I have adopted from both our local shelter and the local Humane Society. Other than one very bad experience with an older cat from our shelter all the animals I have adopted for the last 13 years have been rescues and they have been pretty good dogs.

Please never buy a puppy or kitten from a pet store. Their parents are languishing in a cage 24/7, most of the time in the elements and with little to no vet care or a loving touch.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Right now, check out the Sevier County (TN) Humane Society. They're doing great work rescuing and treating animal survivors of the terrible fires around Gatlinburg, and have reunited a number of pets with their owners. Their Facebook page tells the story better than I can.

If you're looking for a good cause with a genuine, urgent need, that will use 100% of donations as intended, this is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets