Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times

Advertisements

Deegers, I'm sure that varies from group to group. You need to go to the group's website & read their policies to be sure. We just adopted a cat froma local rescue group & they said they would only adopt to people who live within a 60 mile radius of their facility. I'm guessing this has something to do with their policy of visiting the homes of their applicants to make sure it's a good place for the pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
Think some may have a local rescue near you do the checks also. There are many that will ship all over. Like wit rescue I work with am the Northern contact and person who gets sent on home visits and rechecks after adoptions at least 1 time per year. As a adoptee be more leary of a pet to far off as usually like to meet pet a few times get a general feel for this animal before deciding, not all great pets for everyone, I got lucky on the bloodhound I got sight unseen and they found while getting another dog and the one i got had 50 minutes to live. Wife seen pic said looks like a bloodhound,they said unsure of background was in 7 days very little evaluation and asked if wanted or not. I told wife what you think she said better want he going to airport to get shipped up.Well after drving 220 miles 1way to pick up,shots, neutering,lymes and heartworm check he is a great pet that wa terribly abused. BB between ear and eye,BB in ear, buckshot in rib area and a huge scar on back leg he may not be good for SAR as loves to get petted to much but helps when knee's bad as use as crutch to get off couch. But how many times out of 10 are you going to get this lucky when so far away and no self evaluation and gut feel from dog? Would I do it again though if needed? You bet but if just looking want a close rescue where can go see a few times.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 PM

157 posts, read 564,350 times
Some will do out of state adoptions. Most will post on their home page what states they will adopt to. Some use a paid transport, some line up a volunteer shuttle. I think many who are overwhelmed with dogs tend to place into as many good homes as they can wherever that may be. Adoptions from southern shelters and rescues is getting more common in the New England states.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
If you post on petfinder.com they might be able to help you find a reputable rescue organization.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:56 PM
b75

Some will, some won't. I'd personally prefer to get my animal from a rescue that was more accessible geographically, so that I could stay in communication re:questions etc. & I possibly would also have a built in animal sitter as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I have a question for all of you,

If you see a dog you really like in the Petfinder.com but it's in another state. What are some of the policies for rescues and shelters regarding out of state adoptions? Do they allow them or do they strictly only adopt out locally?

Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
b75

A good rescue will have already had the animal spayed or neutered prior to placing it up for adoption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Smack my head! Yes, spay/neuter is NOT NEGOTIABLE with a good rescue. The only time it should be considered is if you are adopting a dog that is sick or old into a home, and then with the strictest of conditions on where the dog will be and how it will be contained to prevent possible romance, or how soon after the recovery from illness the animal will be spayed/neutered. To be honest, most reputable rescues will not even release a dog from their care to be adopted until this is done, and rightfully so...people can tell you anything and not carry through on it.

One thing that is becoming quite popular that I really like is the rescue having the animal microchipped and having a dual listing with the new owner's name and the rescues info on the chip registration...that way someone can always be found if the owner and pet become separated. That, or tattooing of the ear really protects everyone to a large degree. Not failproof, but what is?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
A good rescue will have already had the animal spayed or neutered prior to placing it up for adoption.
Yes, that's what I meant...I thought I said that but I stay confused a lot... Sometimes they will waive on a very senior dog that the surgery itself might do harm to, or allow an ill dog to go into a PROVEN home. I had one dying of heartworms and a bait dog and I was allowed to adopt, but only because I'd adopted from that org before and they totally believed in me (and I didn't let them down, I'm proud to say!)...but boy, it was hairy for a while...

Absolutely - I agree - with 99.99% of adoptions this should NOT even be a consideration - the dog should have been altered and allowed to recover before ever being released. Ask for a copy of the spay/neuter certificate or the vet's statement that the dog has been altered....sometimes spay scars fade with time and it takes a trained eye to locate them. A neuter...well, it is what it is....

Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
My husband and I had wonderful good fortune, finding our two dogs via rescue groups.

The little JRT we rescued from the local Humane Society over 14 years ago. he has been a great little Guy. Two years ago, while trying to help my sister find her own little JRT, my husband looked for his favorite breed, and found a Weimaraner in need of a home, through the local Weimaraner Rescue efforts.

You can find pets, in a choice of breeds, by searching online to begin with, and then making contacts, based upon what you find. There are also always dogs in need of good homes from the local shelters, and those you can find in the Yellow Pages.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
I know of a place in Los Angeles called Lange Foundation. They go to kill shelters and pick out dogs that people don't typically want... blind/old/big dogs/cats that need medical attention... typically people don't want to spend money on a pet that's been hurt or is sick... they fix 'em up then put up for adoption. It's a true rescue organization....

Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 PM

485 posts, read 1,952,755 times
Greyhound Pets of America-a model organization!

Both my greyhounds came from GPA, and were fine dogs-great pets.

If you have room, get two greyhounds, it seems to make them happier.

I'd have a greyhound now, but as I was on my way to check on a place where the local chapter has adoptions, someone gave me a wonderful pit bull, a true joy.

Greyhounds are fine companions, and easy to care for.

Besides, it's good karma!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets