Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times

Advertisements

A man I encountered at work was complaining about the modern world in general. One of the things he said that was evidence to him that America is going to pot was this: "there's more pet food for sale in the grocery stores than baby food!"

I haven't had to buy baby food in 30 years, but I do buy a lot of cat and dog food. So I started to wonder about this, and went to investigate.

And sure enough - in the 3 grocery stores in my hometown there IS more pet food for sale than baby food!!!

Do you think this is because more people are making baby food from scratch? Or do people have more pets than babies these days???

I thought this was really interesting!

In your areas is there more pet food than baby food for sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 05:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,330 times
Babies grow out of baby food and eat regular food but most pets eat pet food for all their lives so it stands to reason that the quantity of food stocked on the shelves for the two different animal species would need to be greater than what is stocked for human babies. Not to mention that:

There are about 25.5 million children ages 0 - 5 in the US as of 2010. There are about 164.6 million owned cats and dogs. So yes, pets out number young kids by more than 6 to 1.

Last edited by zugor; 11-25-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 11:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
Oh, interesting statistics! Guess that makes sense!

Those stats do pretty much prove the man's point, though - which was something along the lines that Americans care more about animals than people.

To be clear, I don't agree with him.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Humans are animals, too.

From my experience, people who care for their animals also care for their families, friends, and community.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
exactly - it's just a grump being a grump and trying to draw a point that doesn't exist

if you look at the number of pets and the amounts that they eat and the duration they have to eat that amount of food vs the number of babies and how much they consume and the duration they consume it - you have a pretty clear indication that

If his point was that there is more concern for pets than people, then why is the vast majority of food in a grocery store aimed at people?

it's just a lousy point to try and make

also, have him take a look at the price points next time .... for dog food you'll pay between $0.75 and $1.50 per pound

baby food will run anywhere between $3 - $5 per pound

Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
It's not a fair comparison. Better to compare the amount of baby food to the amount of puppy or kitten food on the shelf. As mentioned, babies don't eat baby food forever but dogs do tend to eat dog food for life.

Tell your grump of a friend that, in any grocery store on earth, there's more human food than dog or cat food . There's always one grump who thinks that civilization is coming to an end b/c people "dare" to love their pets "too much" and probably wouldn't be happy unless the dog was scavenging for table scraps in a yard.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:03 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
What a funny story!

I never bought baby food for my kids, I always made my own and my dd does the same with my grandchildren.

As for my pets, they eat a raw diet so I have no clue what goes on down the kibble aisle.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Looking at my local store, one aisle was devoted to pure baby products; food, diapers, toys, etc. And one aisle to pet products; food, toys, litter, etc for several types of animals. Comparing many types of products for several types over all stages of the life of animals to a single stage in life of a single human baby is stupid and shows a lack of understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets