Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,259,707 times

Advertisements

Natural Balance is recalling all of its Venison formulas for both dogs & cats. This food is one of their allergy formulas, and contains no wheat gluten.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,173,538 times
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I'm going to pull my hair out!!!!
I've been giving the min-pin the Natural balance dry reduced calorie and
I just bought Natural Balance Venison (canned) to try on the big dog. I actually bought a can each of each flavor. I only opened the chicken and duck and potato ones so far! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr back to the store!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:06 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,290,014 times
Thanks for the heads up!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:37 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,857,587 times
You should know that only the DRY vension products are affected, not the canned. This is for both the dog and cat products.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 AM

Well, in my mind, if one thing is bad, the whole thing is bad. They're just recalling one product now, but tomorrow, it might be a different story.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 PM

389 posts, read 3,540,760 times
Agreed...when the menu foods recall first started, they were saying oh it's only this, this and this and then the list kept growing and growing and they are still adding things! I am a firm believer in better safe than sorry.

We just had a meeting at work today about different diets and what we will recommend and what we won't. We have one vet that will never (and wouldn't even before the big recall) recommend any science diet or hills product ever again. Our clinic seems to be following her lead and moving away from the hills products if there is a good alternative (which is sometimes tough since they have a wide line of prescription diets).

Old 04-17-2007, 05:11 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,685,242 times
Wow, thanks, Evey! Have been feeding mine the canned; went & got a bunch of California Natural last week and have been giving him that (wet & dry) because we think he likes it more & he needs to lose a few pounds. Guess the rest of the NB cans'll continue to sit there for the time being...
How very sad & disappointing :>(

Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,229,828 times
It just really makes one wonder what exactly is going on that we are not finding out. I have had to put Cassy on dry dog food again because after a couple of weeks on the homemade stuff she began throwing up, as soon as I put her back on dry food she stopped. I think it just may have been too rich for her stomach.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
It just really makes one wonder what exactly is going on that we are not finding out. I have had to put Cassy on dry dog food again because after a couple of weeks on the homemade stuff she began throwing up, as soon as I put her back on dry food she stopped. I think it just may have been too rich for her stomach.
Since I have no clue about all these new foods now, I've been testing, testing, testing. Right now I think the dogs are so confused (the big one) they're beginning to go for it. I've mixed different dry and canned, homemade, peas, carrots, a little bitty mozzarella cheese (for the big dog) and lots of GOOD BOY!!!!

They seem to have stomachs of steel!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:41 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,234,700 times
Since all of this happened, I've switched to Innova dry and wet for my dog and cat. My dog loves it!

I give her wet in the evening and dry in the morning. She turned her nose up to the dry, but I read on here about putting water on it, so she gets it with warm water, I stir it around and she can't wait. I notice that the canned food smells like actual food, not the digusting foul smell of grocery store canned foods.

The cat likes the dry, but it takes her a while to eat the wet when it is cold. It's a bit pricey, so I get the big cans and she has it for three days.

This and the human food recalls really has me changing my shopping habits. No more bagged lettuce, back to iceberg and romaine heads. Organic milk, eggs and chicken. I haven't switched to organic veggies yet, but am edging toward biting the bullet.

I remember reading many years ago about the number of humans who consume pet food because they are so poor. I wonder if this is still happening and if they are affected, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets