Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 10:21 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
Coasts of Florida are more prone to Hurricane, and I'm unsure how I'd handle it (being an outsider, instead of family living there for decades).

Area bordering Georgia has higher crime (so I've heard).

Hence Panhandle.

Coastal Alabama and Florida Panhandle are probably the best locations for dealing with hurricanes as they have highest coastal lands in the Gulf and East Coast, so really just have to worry about wind as long as you don't live right on the beach. The best though is Mobile County and Baldwin County Alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 10:27 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Coastal Alabama and Florida Panhandle are probably the best locations for dealing with hurricanes as they have highest coastal lands in the Gulf and East Coast, so really just have to worry about wind as long as you don't live right on the beach. The best though is Mobile County and Baldwin County Alabama
I guess you never heard about Hurricanes Frederic (1979), Opal (1995), or Ivan (2004)...

Old 05-14-2021, 10:32 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Blatantly false. Significant damage from Hurricane Michael extended from the coast well up to the FL-GA state line and included Marianna, Blountstown and Chipley.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:29 PM

Did I say that they were immune to hurricanes??? No I did not, there was no indication for that interpretation. It is true that Mobile and Baldwin Counties and Florida Panhandler have the highest coastal topography in South and East. Meaning that storm surge isn't as much potentially devastating as NOLA, Maimi, Charleston, or even Houston. I literally said YOU STILL HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WIND. A lot of the damage of the storms y'all list WERE CAUSED BY WIND

Old 05-14-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Did I say that they were immune to hurricanes??? No I did not, there was no indication for that interpretation. It is true that Mobile and Baldwin Counties and Florida Panhandler have the highest coastal topography in South and East. Meaning that storm surge isn't as much potentially devastating as NOLA, Maimi, Charleston, or even Houston. I literally said YOU STILL HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WIND. A lot of the damage of the storms y'all list WERE CAUSED BY WIND
The OP specifically stated he was not interested in living near the water, so not sure why storm surge is relevant to this discussion at all...

You said:

Quote:
Coastal Alabama and Florida Panhandle are probably the best locations for dealing with hurricanes
While it may be true that the region has a higher coastal topography, your overall statement quoted above is absolutely false.

Old 05-14-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The OP specifically stated he was not interested in living near the water, so not sure why storm surge is relevant to this discussion at all...

You said:

While it may be true that the region has a higher coastal topography, your overall statement quoted above is absolutely false.

What makes it false then?

Old 05-14-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
What makes it false then?
The fact that coastal AL and the panhandle have suffered devastating damage from many hurricanes over the years. South and Central Florida have been hit by many powerful storms, but the construction codes are such that the structural damage is typically much less there. Also, the vegetation is more adapted to hurricanes so they don't get as many downed trees.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:42 AM

533 posts, read 481,987 times
Quote:
The panhandle (especially the western panhandle where you're looking) is actually one of the most hurricane-prone parts of the state.

The least hurricane-prone parts are the northeast coast from Jacksonville down to around Daytona, and the "armpit" of Florida, or the "Forgotten Coast" from around Apalachicola to Crystal River.

You said you've heard that areas bordering Georgia having higher crime, that's actually code for "has more black people", and is what the people telling you that really meant.

The person who told about high crime is Pakistani American who is married to African American lady.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The fact that coastal AL and the panhandle have suffered devastating damage from many hurricanes over the years. South and Central Florida have been hit by many powerful storms, but the construction codes are such that the structural damage is typically much less there. Also, the vegetation is more adapted to hurricanes so they don't get as many downed trees.

I don't see your point

Old 05-16-2021, 06:57 AM

317 posts, read 826,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Agreed! When I moved back here from Virginia I got a salary increase due to not paying VA taxes, but apples to apples on auto insurance, homeowners insurance and property tax I took a slight loss. If I add the huge jump in home insurance this past year it is a big difference. Sure it cost me less to renew my licence or register my vehicles but overall it's a tad more expensive, especially if you own a home.
Double agree, and I mention my situation because I moved to a perceived high-tax state. My wife and I made the opposite move in 2020 (from the Fl Panhandle to upstate NY). The additional state income and property taxes in NY were quickly negated by our insurance savings in home, auto, and health. Housing prices are comparable. Salary increases were significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola