Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:44 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,657,727 times

Advertisements

He comes from a very sports focused family on his mother's side, his grandfather had a baseball scholarship at university and his great-grandfather played for the Minors in the '30s.

GS has been in the game since T-ball and is good. His first sentence was "I throw ball."

His mother suggested Narnia - a little too mature, maybe later. Also he's not at all "magical" in his imagination. He's very much mathematical, his paternal grandfather was an engineering major at Annapolis.

Our garden shed was Merlin's Cave to his artistic sister, to him it was a treasure trove of cool tools and machinery.

In other words he's a boy. He loves Mikey and Jay for the engineering and building.

He's just learning to read, something that comes easily and naturally to our family, but if it's a little beyond his level that's okay.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by RubyandPearl; 05-01-2024 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 08:50 PM

11,811 posts, read 12,051,803 times
Something like these?

https://www.scholastic.com/parents/b...-baseball.html

Old 05-01-2024, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Thanks so much for this!
Lots of good material there.
Cheers dear

Old 05-01-2024, 09:42 PM

6,883 posts, read 4,893,903 times
Can you take him to the library and let him browse?

Old 05-01-2024, 09:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,661 posts, read 18,021,886 times
The Pigeon books, by Mo Willems. I have not seen a 6 year old boy who doesn't shout, when the Pigeon shouts. VERY fun books.

His life doesn't all have to be about family pressure to succeed at sports.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The Pigeon books, by Mo Willems. I have not seen a 6 year old boy who doesn't shout, when the Pigeon shouts. VERY fun books.

His life doesn't all have to be about family pressure to succeed at sports.
Thanks, will check it out.

No "family pressure" where did that come from?

Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

3,157 posts, read 2,708,837 times
"The City of Ember", but it sounds like his parents will have to read it to him.

Old Today, 02:11 PM

7,380 posts, read 4,162,829 times
A six year old boy is on an easy reader level. There is the "I can read" series,"Pete the Cat" and Dr. Seuss.

I would suggest books that focus on phonics. Most schools haven't been teaching phonics even though it's been proven to help. "Hook on Phonics" is perfect for first grade. I think it's online now, but there are other phonics books like Paw Patrol Phonics Box Set, Learn to Read: Phonics Storybook: 25 Simple Stories & Activities for Beginner Readers and Bob Books.

Narnia is great for the third grade.

Old Today, 04:22 PM

22,288 posts, read 19,267,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
He comes from a very sports focused family on his mother's side, his grandfather had a baseball scholarship at university and his great-grandfather played for the Minors in the '30s.

GS has been in the game since T-ball and is good. His first sentence was "I throw ball."

His mother suggested Narnia - a little too mature, maybe later. Also he's not at all "magical" in his imagination. He's very much mathematical, his paternal grandfather was an engineering major at Annapolis.
Our garden shed was Merlin's Cave to his artistic sister, to him it was a treasure trove of cool tools and machinery. In other words he's a boy. He loves Mikey and Jay for the engineering and building. He's just learning to read, something that comes easily and naturally to our family, but if it's a little beyond his level that's okay. Thanks for the suggestions.
This post made me smile. I remember my son's first sentence, it was a set of sentences. "Go garage sale. Buy toys. Go MORE garage sales. Buy MORE toys."

then when he was about 3 or 4, he got in a fight with the kid down the street. The kid down the street insisted that toys come from Toys R Us. My son argued NO and insisted that toys come from garage sales. It was hilarious.

They also fought about who cleans toilets. the kid down the street said moms clean the toilet. of course my son argued that he was wrong, because no, dads clean the toilet. which in his world (our house) they did.

Old Today, 04:28 PM

22,288 posts, read 19,267,501 times
I would go with books he can read himself but also books that can be read to him. I remember being told when my kids were little, "Keep reading books to them, until they don't want you to anymore." So i followed this advice, because quite frankly with 3 little boys i (a) welcomed the time to sit down quietly for a change, and (b) loved reading books myself anyway.

So i read to them every night before bed, and i also read to them during the day. How long did this go on? Well beyond when they could read books themself. They loved reading, but also wanted to be read to. I can honestly say that I was still reading to them through grade school, through high school, and yes even after they left home and were on their own, they still ask for me to read to them when they come visit. They are now age 37, 37, and 39.

i will think of book ideas for another post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting