Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 08:48 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times

Advertisements

OP, where are this child's actual parents? What is their opinion of this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 08:56 AM

5,667 posts, read 3,174,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I'll disagree. Great-Grandparents are sort of like alien beings. It's hard to comprehend the world they lived in.

I had a Great Grandmother from the "old country" who lived through the hell of several wars rolling over her homestead. She was raped, robbed, and beaten by soldiers on more than one occasion. The same thing happened to her family, siblings and cousins starved or were murdered, etc.

This didn't do any favors for her mental state or how she treated her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Her "crazy" attitude was understandable, but that didn't mean her descendants had to let her visit her childhood traumas on successive generations.

My comments on "doing better", or "it's just a dog", or "backup children" are serious and not tongue-in-cheek. Previous generations lived in a harsher world than we do. They made it better, but they came out damaged. They have valuable knowledge and contributions to make to child-rearing, but their way of raising children is inferior to ours. Our children will (in aggregate) be better people than we were for being taught and raised in an environment of tolerance and love. Our grandchildren will be raised by even better parents (our children) than we are. Or they will, if we do our jobs right as parents.

I don't think the GGMa in this case is as extreme as mine, but I'm sure she had some sort of crappy upbringing. You are under no obligation to allow her to project that onto your child or grandchild with her weird psychosis about kitchen magnets and other BS, in fact the opposite is true.

Like I said, ask for 3rd party validation from a professional childcaregiver (pediatrician, child psychologist, pediatric RN) and then stop or cut back on visits to GGMA if they advise the situation is unhealthy for the child (it is), and you can't get GGMA to lighten up.
I just want to point out that all those people I bolded are required to be mandatory reporters, if they suspect child abuse. I think if OP talks to any of them about great grandma liking to pop the baby, "and what does the professional think about that" the professional might be required to report that to Child Services.

And maybe that needs to happen, or maybe not...but I think it would be very likely.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:12 AM

16,519 posts, read 8,299,497 times
I'm guessing if every spank was reported to CPS a lot of people would be in trouble. Heck yelling is now verbal abuse.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused2022 View Post
Then the next thing I'll have to deal is momma calling me wondering why I haven't brought my grandbaby over to see her.
Wonder why your daughter grew up to have 2 children out of wedlock from two different men?

Was "Momma" her primary caregiver?

Old 10-12-2022, 09:16 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wonder why your daughter grew up to have 2 children out of wedlock from two different men?

Was "Momma" her primary caregiver?
wow that's pretty rude.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm guessing if every spank was reported to CPS a lot of people would be in trouble. Heck yelling is now verbal abuse.
Well, my thought process is if someone makes an appointment to see me, to talk about a family member who likes to smack the baby...I might find that concerning, and feel like I'm mandated to report it. Just sayin.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:36 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well, my thought process is if someone makes an appointment to see me, to talk about a family member who likes to smack the baby...I might find that concerning, and feel like I'm mandated to report it. Just sayin.
True, but a lot of people report things out of spite. I've heard mother in laws or mothers and annoyed angry spouses reporting things about a parent they have a personal beef with. not so much that kids were in any danger.

I have a neighbor whose husband called the pediatrician because she was drunk on a few occasions and he was tired of her drinking. Dr had to report it to CPS. Kids had no idea what was happening.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
wow that's pretty rude.
Rude? No, it's science. As I pointed out before, studies show that children who are physically punished at young ages (The baby in the OP is barely walking and talking) are much more likely to grow up with poor self esteem and without the ability to form stable relationships. Here's why.

To thrive, babies need to develop secure attachment relationships with their parents/caregivers. Such attachments set the stage for healthy emotional development, strong social skills, and intellectual achievement.

If you are punishing your baby, instead of using positive reinforcement, you are damaging their ability to form solid, trusting relationships by damaging their brains in the most formative period (0-3 years).

Why anyone who understands this would continue hitting a child or allowing it, I can't fathom. If it's just ignorance, well, I would call that being too lazy and selfish to learn healthy ways to raise the most precious gift you will ever receive in life.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
True, but a lot of people report things out of spite. I've heard mother in laws or mothers and annoyed angry spouses reporting things about a parent they have a personal beef with. not so much that kids were in any danger.

I have a neighbor whose husband called the pediatrician because she was drunk on a few occasions and he was tired of her drinking. Dr had to report it to CPS. Kids had no idea what was happening.
I'm sure it's true that some people report things out of spite. Still, if someone is going to tell a professional, that professional is going to be mandated to report it.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:21 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,292,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
How I've taught kids to not touch others things or open drawers, doors, and cupboards is to gently and repeatedly tell them at *my* house (or their own), they can touch those things because they have permission and/or they belong to them, but at other people's houses, you need to use your words to ask if you can touch or open something (if the child is old enough to be verbal). With time and patience, this method really has worked--at least for me. I myself was taught this from a very early age. No need for spanking necessary. Even my own old-school parents reserved physical punishment for dangerous offenses. It wasn't used for minor offenses.

You and/or your daughter might need to have a heart-to-heart with your mom about not laying punishing hands on your child if she attempts to spank your granddaughter again. I second the recommendation on keeping an extra close eye on the little girl until she fully grasps the concept of what she's permitted and not permitted to touch or walk near in GG's house. Pick her up or gently guide her away from walking near the stove while telling her that we don't do that here, for example. No sense in setting her up for failure.
yes that is what we were told. When we would visit other homes, we stayed sitting on the couch unless we were specifically told to go do this or that. We would be shocked when every now a kid would come over and just start looking at everything all over - taking things off tables etc.

This morning went to our regular cafe and there were adults there (all female) and three kids. Two looked like twins - maybe 18 months. Screaming up a storm. Screeching. We could barely hear ourselves talking.

And the kids ran into the kitchen etc - mom didn't get up - the waiter had to bring the kid out. Isn't that dangerous?

We were so relieved when they left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting