Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 01:02 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times

Advertisements

What if ggrandma had a special toy, that always stayed at THAT house, for the baby to play with? Maybe blocks, or Legos...something that might keep the baby occupied for a little while?

Then maybe things could be "Don't play with THIS but you can play with THIS instead."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 01:14 PM

42 posts, read 14,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wow. Who hits a baby? Worse, who lets their own baby be hit?
Personally I would NEVER hit or spank anyone else's child but the rules are different when it comes to a grandparent or in this case a great grandparent. It's sort of based on the "it takes a village" mentality. Mom feels that since this is her great-grandchild she has every right to spank them, especially when they are in her house. I have never spanked any of my nieces or nephews because they aren't mine to raise. When they came to my house when they were younger I'd either move what I didn't want them to touch or their parent's said something to them. Grandma / great grandma feels that in her house if she wants to spank them then she has every right to do so. In momma's house momma is and will always be right. Even if she's wrong she's right. I can think of another time where great-grandma was completely wrong and everyone just sat around and let her do what she wanted without any voice or input. But I won't get into that now. I just don't think you should spank a child in someone else's house for things they are allowed to do in their own house. They're not pulling knives out of the silverware drawer. They're not grabbing the remote and changing the channels on the TV while people are watching it. They're not going into the bathroom and unrolling the entire roll of toilet tissue or putting the extra rolls into the toilet.

I guess I'm tired of hearing "yall need to teach her. . ."

Last edited by Confused2022; 10-11-2022 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I wouldn’t bring the baby. I can’t imagine a gg hitting a baby. Ugh!
Right, grandparents are usually slack on the grandkids, and more so the great grandkids. Usually they do no wrong. Where as parents usually crucify their own children for just breathing heavy.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:25 PM

Well, maybe it's time to transition away from great grandma's house then?

Old 10-11-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
It might be babble, but as with most things with little ones, she'll get it soon enough.

In more than a few ways, telling a kid something while pulling them away from where they're not supposed to be while shutting the door serves the very same purpose as your mother giving her a whack when she does the very same thing. Words plus actions will stick in her very plastic mind sooner than one might think.

As for the other adults, they're being *******s at worst and unhelpful at best. Even though I'm sure that they love being around the little one, they need to either step up and help out when baby girl toddles off to the forbidden zone and grab those magnets or just keep their mouths shut.
See this is what I'm talking about, my siblings. They sit and play with her and "Oh, she's so cute and sweet." Then they put her down and she walks off. When she goes into the other side of the house by herself they don't get up to go get her, they watch to see where she's going then when she walks into the open bathroom door or walks past the stove or touches the fridge magnets they're all ready to tell on her. "She's touching that" or "she's next to the stove" or "she's in the bathroom." I guess my thing is this. Don't watch her and wait for her to do something only to be a tattle tale just to get her into trouble. And the thing is this. The last time someone told my mom she was touching the fridge magnets my mom came and tried to hit me like I told her to go in the kitchen and touch them. "Yall think that's cute!" It's a fridge magnet not a cherished family heirloom that's been in the family for 200 years.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:07 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused2022 View Post
Personally I would NEVER hit or spank anyone else's child but the rules are different when it comes to a grandparent or in this case a great grandparent.
No it ****ing isn't.

Abuse is abuse is abuse.

I'm shocked that you haven't read the jillions of studies linking early childhood corporal punishment to trauma.

Quote:
physical punishment like smacking can lead to longer-term problems in children’s health and development. Children who are smacked can be more aggressive than children who aren’t smacked. They’re more likely to have challenging behaviour, anxiety or depression.
https://raisingchildren.net.au/toddl...pline/smacking

How many of those kids your mom abused over the years grew up to be thugs and criminals?

Last edited by zentropa; 10-11-2022 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No it ****ing isn't.

Abuse is abuse is abuse.

I'm shocked that you haven't read the jillions of studies linking early childhood corporal punishment to trauma.

How many of those kids your mom abused over the years grew up to be thugs and criminals?
No, this isn't abuse. She's not beating her with an extension cord or making her stand outside in freezing temps without a coat. It's just a pop on the hand. I don't want to get into a debate over a spanking vs abuse. Please' let's not. I just think that not everything a child does deserves a spanking.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well, maybe it's time to transition away from great grandma's house then?
Then the next thing I'll have to deal is momma calling me wondering why I haven't brought my grandbaby over to see her.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:40 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
No, this isn't abuse. She's not beating her with an extension cord or making her stand outside in freezing temps without a coat. It's just a pop on the hand. I don't want to get into a debate over a spanking vs abuse. Please' let's not. I just think that not everything a child does deserves a spanking.
Sorry, hitting a child is defined as corporal punishment, no matter how hard or where you hit them. You can't just wave that away. It is not recommended by ANY child development professional. In fact the data show that not only does it NOT WORK, it causes damage. This is what the science says. Grandma knows better? I don't think so.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Then the next thing I'll have to deal is momma calling me wondering why I haven't brought my grandbaby over to see her.
Well then, tell her. "Mom, I'm not comfortable with you spanking or popping the baby." And that's it. Fine, "her house, her rules" so don't do it at her house anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting