Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 10:22 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times

Advertisements

I know someone who is thin and has been for decades. He thinks he is fat because of shaming done when he was a child. It obviously can affect some people for many years forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 07:12 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,041 times
If you touch another person's butt, genitals, breasts when it is unwanted, that's sexual harassment. Just because it is happening to a boy in this instance or "the harasser didn't intend it to be sexual" is irrelevant. That's like saying I could grab a woman's breast in the grocery store this morning and tell the police officer, "but I didn't mean it to be sexual. I'm a straight woman." Who gives a whoop if I meant it to be sexual or not?

An eleven year old smacking another boy's butt is old enough to know better and receive consequences, or would that same behavior be okay when they turn around and do it to a girl in the class?

Old 09-26-2022, 08:15 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
An eleven year old smacking another boy's butt is old enough to know better and receive consequences, or would that same behavior be okay when they turn around and do it to a girl in the class?
I don't know about this... I seem to remember boys smacking each others' butts all through middle and high school. Guys are physical with each other. That's never going to change.

Reassure your son that the body he has now is going to change dramatically over the next 3 years and to stay active and be patient.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't know about this... I seem to remember boys smacking each others' butts all through middle and high school. Guys are physical with each other. That's never going to change.

Reassure your son that the body he has now is going to change dramatically over the next 3 years and to stay active and be patient.
I remember a lot happening when I was in middle and high school that is no longer considered appropriate, and I am fully onboard with that. Body shaming is not appropriate, and body shaming WITH unwanted touching is even less appropriate. This behavior is likely more common with women, as body shaming happens a lot, particularly in all women’s groups, but that doesn’t make it appropriate. My best friend was body shamed a lot in middle school/early high school and it stuck with her for about a decade. I really see no benefit in saying certain behaviors happen and we just need to accept it.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:11 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
If you touch another person's butt, genitals, breasts when it is unwanted, that's sexual harassment. Just because it is happening to a boy in this instance or "the harasser didn't intend it to be sexual" is irrelevant. That's like saying I could grab a woman's breast in the grocery store this morning and tell the police officer, "but I didn't mean it to be sexual. I'm a straight woman." Who gives a whoop if I meant it to be sexual or not?

Someone gets it. Also, I'm going to maintain my theory that if it was a girl people would be screaming sexual harassment. It works both ways.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:20 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Someone gets it. Also, I'm going to maintain my theory that if it was a girl people would be screaming sexual harassment. It works both ways.
If a preadolescent girl slapped another girls' butt playfully you mean? People would be screaming sexual harassment?

I'm just not sure about that.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:47 AM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
I don't think that I would approach this as "sexual harassment" because it sounds a lot more like mean spirited teasing rather than sexually motivated.

Kids can be mean and merciless at times. If they see something different in another kid, they point it out in a loud and humiliating way.

I think it's good that you let the teacher know what was happening. As a mom I would encourage my son to join a gym and get into the best shape possible - I'd even consider paying for some personal training sessions, not to target his butt necessarily but to improve his overall fitness level. I'd also take him shopping to look for some more flattering clothes. One of my kids went through a chubby stage and weight training made a huge difference for him as he grew taller and leaner. He looked pretty buff by about his junior year.

As others have pointed out, your son's body will be changing a lot in the coming years.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:23 PM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times
My son had a big butt - it went away. I would buy your son better fitting pants. If needed have the pants tailored. Make sure his shirts reach below his butt.

When children are pressured into transitioning, any teasing/harassment regarding attributes of opposite sex should be stopped immediately.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:59 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If a preadolescent girl slapped another girls' butt playfully you mean? People would be screaming sexual harassment?

I'm just not sure about that.
They’d be screaming about something- eating disorders commonly develop after age 10 in middle school or high school. A girl who is more developed at 10-11 often gets unwanted comments, likely from both girls and boys. That sort of attention is usually unwanted and wildly inappropriate.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:40 PM

72 posts, read 57,937 times
I recommend having him enroll in martial arts. The benefits are numerous -- it's a great workout, teaches self defense, and builds self-confidence. And above that, it's fun and a good community to be part of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting