Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,400,759 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday April 30, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you were gifted-for free-(or won) two tickets to the Broadway show “Hamilton”, what would you do:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ?

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle),
whether at home or in a restaurant ?

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ?

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ?

LINK --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_barrier

Today in History:
1812: The Territory of Orleans becomes the 18th U.S. state, under the name Louisiana
1885: Niagara Falls officially becomes New York’s first state park
1926: Birth of comedian & actress Cloris Leachman (Malcolm in the Middle)
1954: Birth of director & screenwriter Jane Campion (The Piano)
1964: Birth of actress Joanna Gabrielle “Pooky” Quesnel (The A Word)
1975: Birth of actor Johnny Galecki (Big Bang Theory)
1982: Birth of actress Kirsten Dunst (Spider Man trilogy)

Today’s Word:
gabion /ˈɡābēən/ (n.): Boxed rocks, caged riprap, wire enclosure containing concrete, dirt, and boulders.
Used in building foundations of walls and dams, to minimize erosion-and provide fortification around military bases.

Today Is:
National Honesty Day
International Jazz Day
Beltane
Walpurgis Night
National Oatmeal Cookie Day

Raisin Day
-this week is-
National Small Business Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
“There is always someone in the world who is better or worse off than yourself,
and I’ve never seen that-in either direction-as a barrier to becoming friends with somebody.”

-Jools Holland

Wishing all y’all a pleasant & mild final day of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 12:57 AM

44,708 posts, read 61,909,146 times
Today’s Question:
If you were gifted-for free-(or won) two tickets to the Broadway show “Hamilton”, what would you do: attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ? Sell.

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant ? No.

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? Yes.

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway? No.

G'nite, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 04-30-2018, 02:19 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,886,628 times

Today’s Question:
If you were gifted-for free-(or won) two tickets to the Broadway show “Hamilton”, what would you do:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ? Sell

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant ? No

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? Yes

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway? No
Goodnight

Old 04-30-2018, 04:03 AM

11,420 posts, read 9,347,664 times
Today’s Question:
- I have no one to go to any events with so I'd have to go alone and toss the other ticket. My friends (save one who doesn't want to do anything anymore) are all coupled up.

I just read up on it and the answer is doubtful, especially if the musical centered on rap and hip-hop. Both of which I loathe.

If this is a thing and tickets are hard to get I would sell. But it would have to be an easy sale.
Zero chance anyone is going to give them to me as a gift, nor would I enter a contest to win...

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant ?
- A couple of times, long ago...

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ?
- Not that I remember...

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ?
- Yes.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday!

Old 04-30-2018, 04:20 AM

126,424 posts, read 19,184,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ?.......I would give them to someone

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle),
whether at home or in a restaurant ?...... Especially in winter time I do

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ?....No

Just for Fun:
...No

Today in History:
1812: The Territory of Orleans becomes the 18th U.S. state, under the name Louisiana

Today’s Word:
gabion /ˈɡābēən/ (n.): Boxed rocks, caged riprap, wire enclosure containing concrete, dirt, and boulders.
Used in building foundations of walls and dams, to minimize erosion-and provide fortification around military bases.

Today Is:
National Honesty Day
International Jazz Day
Beltane
Walpurgis Night

Raisin Day
-this week is-

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
and I’ve never seen that-in either direction-as a barrier to becoming friends with somebody.”

-Jools Holland

Wishing all y’all a pleasant & mild final day of the month.
THANK YOU cloven and what a pretty maze.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:30 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,875,152 times

Today’s Question:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ? I'd find someone to go with me.

Extra Credit:
whether at home or in a restaurant ? Have at home. Then too, I remember once when the power went out at the farm, my parents collected all the old oil burning lamps. It was fun seeing the house in the light ancestors did.

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? Sure. The first store thought of is a small general store in Maine. They had a resident cat who sometimes sat by the register.

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ? I live on a quiet dirt road. No need for sound barriers.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Honesty Day
International Jazz Day Ending of a month recognizing/celebrating Jazz.
Beltane
Walpurgis Night

Raisin Day
-this week is-

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:

-Jools Holland

Wishing all y’all a pleasant & mild final day of the month. Thanks, cloven!

Last edited by kpinvt; 04-30-2018 at 04:50 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 06:20 AM

88,926 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Happy Monday April 30, everybody-and welcome to QOTD - Happy Monday to you, too, cloven. The sky right now is blue with no clouds, and the sun is shining brightly off the lake. Enjoying my last few days in ON before I return to NJ for a couple of weeks..

Today’s Question:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ? I would definitely attend this show. I know a few people who have seen it, and they loved it.

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant ? Yes, but usually because I lost power.

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? Several over the years, including a couple of restaurants as well.

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ? Not immediately close to where I live, but yes, they are found on the Garden State Parkway and the NJ Turnpike, two major highways I've used frequently. There are many in NJ because of all the highways and the population density.

Have a wonderful day, everyone.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,852 posts, read 81,846,971 times

Today’s Question:

Extra Credit:
whether at home or in a restaurant ? Yes, several times both at home and at restaurants

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? Yes, a few times, especially auto repair and junk yards

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ? No, we are not near any noisy roads

Old 04-30-2018, 06:51 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,950,305 times
Today’s Question:
If you were gifted for free (or won) two tickets to the Broadway show “Hamilton”, what would you do:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them? Sell them online.

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant? Yes, a few times.

Bonus:
Ever been to a store - not a pet shop - that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around? Yes, usually cats.

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway? No, I live in the country.

Groovy Monday wishes to everybody!

Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,326,066 times

Today’s Question:
I assume the show is in New York, not a touring company? You know, I might sell them and donate the money to the charity one of my kids volunteers with.
Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant ? I do not remember; certainly I have not had one in a very long time.

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? Bookstores sometimes have resident cats.

Just for Fun:
LINK --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_barrier Here they are installed on larger roads and highways.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
Used in building foundations of walls and dams, to minimize erosion-and provide fortification around military bases. I did not know this word. But I’ve seen these used as design element!

Today Is:
National Honesty Day
International Jazz Day
Beltane. Isn’t Beltane on May 1st? I knew I had run into this pagan celebration, but could not remember what it was. Had to look it up.
Walpurgis Night
Raisin Day
-this week is-
National Small Business Week. You know this a good reminder to visit local retailers, and to patronize other small, local businesses.

Have a good week, everyone.

Last edited by silibran; 04-30-2018 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics