Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,949,972 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday April 30, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you were gifted-for free-(or won) two tickets to the Broadway show “Hamilton”, what would you do:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ? Sell

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant ? No

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? Yes

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway? yes,,, not only for noisy locations but for wind brakes in some areas and for shade! I love shade! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:09 AM

39,036 posts, read 23,034,926 times
Today’s Question:
If you were gifted-for free-(or won) two tickets to the Broadway show “Hamilton”, what would you do:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ? Try to sell them.

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle),
whether at home or in a restaurant ? No.

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? Yes, a barber shop I used to patronize had a pug dog that belonged to one of the barbers. He had free reign of the place and he was popular with the customers. Also, my mechanic has a Yorkshire terrier that he sometimes brings to the shop.

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ? Some of the freeways around here have those.

LINK --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_barrier

Have a marvelous Monday!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:32 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,838,425 times
[quote=cloven;51755983]Happy Monday April 30, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ?
I'd sell them.
Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle),
whether at home or in a restaurant ?
Many times
Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ?
Yes. There is this adorable but really mean Chihuahua in a hardware store in town. I brought Joe Joe there on Saturday to visit with her. I still can't pet her but it took years before I could pick up a neighbors Chihuahua.
Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ?

We live a block off of the railroad tracks but the trees never seem to grow there. They planted new ones about two years ago and some are finally growing but very slow.
Today in History:
1812: The Territory of Orleans becomes the 18th U.S. state, under the name Louisiana
1885: Niagara Falls officially becomes New York’s first state park
1926: Birth of comedian & actress Cloris Leachman (Malcolm in the Middle)
1954: Birth of director & screenwriter Jane Campion (The Piano)
1964: Birth of actress Joanna Gabrielle “Pooky” Quesnel (The A Word)
1975: Birth of actor Johnny Galecki (Big Bang Theory)
1982: Birth of actress Kirsten Dunst (Spider Man trilogy)

Today’s Word:
gabion /ˈɡābēən/ (n.): Boxed rocks, caged riprap, wire enclosure containing concrete, dirt, and boulders.
Used in building foundations of walls and dams, to minimize erosion-and provide fortification around military bases.

Today Is:
National Honesty Day
International Jazz Day
Beltane
Walpurgis Night
National Oatmeal Cookie Day

Raisin Day
-this week is-
National Small Business Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
“There is always someone in the world who is better or worse off than yourself,
and I’ve never seen that-in either direction-as a barrier to becoming friends with somebody.”

-Jools Holland

Wishing all y’all a pleasant & mild final day of the month.

Thanks dear one, you too. We are finally getting some leaves popping. They're late this year.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 AM

7,398 posts, read 5,512,445 times
Happy Monday April 30, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ? Attend

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), [/b][/color]whether at home or in a restaurant ? Yes

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? No

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ?
no

Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 AM

24,568 posts, read 26,123,714 times
Today’s Question:

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant ?
Yes

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ?
I have.

Just for Fun:
We do a couple of miles away along the freeway.

Thanx Cloven, have a great day.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:21 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,383,547 times
Default Today’s Question:

attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ?....Sell them

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant ?....I've had a camplite dinner many times

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ?....I was at a tire shop that had a cat in the office and a antique store that had a dog behind the counter.

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ?.....Nope.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:04 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,249,940 times
[quote=cloven;51755983]Happy Monday April 30, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:

I'd like to attend the show, but I live in Europe so I would have to give them away.

Extra Credit:

Many times. When I was living at home we used to visit a wealthy aunt whose dinners for the extended family were always candlelit, and then I moved to NYC and many restaurants plopped a candle on the table for atmosphere.

Bonus:

I remember a wonderful one in NYC. There was a cat in the store, usually asleep in a raised basket near the cash register. Over the cat's basket was a sign "Do not try to pet, she scratches."

Just for Fun:

Almost every detached home in town is surrounded by a wall, and though they are sometimes low in front, around the sides and back they are high. This style long pre-dates noise problems and relates more to former safety concerns and privacy. Even a prosperous farmer's home in the countryside used to have walls around it and some of the outbuildings.

Today in History:
1812: The Territory of Orleans becomes the 18th U.S. state, under the name Louisiana
1885: Niagara Falls officially becomes New York’s first state park
1926: Birth of comedian & actress Cloris Leachman (Malcolm in the Middle)
1954: Birth of director & screenwriter Jane Campion (The Piano)
1964: Birth of actress Joanna Gabrielle “Pooky” Quesnel (The A Word)
1975: Birth of actor Johnny Galecki (Big Bang Theory)
1982: Birth of actress Kirsten Dunst (Spider Man trilogy)

Today’s Word:
gabion /ˈɡābēən/ (n.): Boxed rocks, caged riprap, wire enclosure containing concrete, dirt, and boulders.
Used in building foundations of walls and dams, to minimize erosion-and provide fortification around military bases.

Today Is:
National Honesty Day
International Jazz Day
Beltane Thought that was May 1st. The traditional first day of summer in Ireland. In some villages women would extinguish their hearth fire and a group of girls with a burning stick would go around the village singing in Irish "We ourselves brought summer with us...." and the householder would take a light from their flame to start a new fire.
Walpurgis Night
National Oatmeal Cookie Day

Raisin Day
-this week is-
National Small Business Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
“There is always someone in the world who is better or worse off than yourself,
and I’ve never seen that-in either direction-as a barrier to becoming friends with somebody.”

-Jools Holland

Wishing all y’all a pleasant & mild final day of the month.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:27 PM

21,617 posts, read 8,783,659 times

Today’s Question:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them?
I think I would attend although I'm not a fan of that style of music. I'd like to see what all the hype is about.

Extra Credit:
whether at home or in a restaurant?
Yes, not very often. But I've done that. Nowadays if I want romantic lighting, I just turn down the dining room's dimmer. It's the same effect but without the hassle of lighting matches and dripping wax.

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around?
Yes, I've visited a couple of bookstores and one shoe store that each had a resident cat. There's also a B and B in the area that will let you "borrow" a cat or dog during your stay.

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway?

No, but the trees in the park across the street act as a windbreaker, and when you're in the park the rustling of their leaves and the calls of songbirds masks some of the traffic sounds.

Thanks, cloven, for the Q's, the colorful maze and the interesting word.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:33 PM

7,351 posts, read 2,751,963 times
Today’s Question:
attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ? For a variety of reasons, I would probably sell them.

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu of actual candle), whether at home or in a restaurant ? Many, many years ago on prom night...

Bonus:
Ever been to a store-not a pet shop-that had its own resident animal (such as a cat or dog), with free reign to wander around ? Yep

Just for Fun:
Are there sound barriers near where you live, such as an intentionally-placed wall or row of trees between homes & a noisy street/highway ? No, my town isn't that big.

Thanks cloven for the questions and the maze. Happy Monday to one and all. May you all have a wonderful week.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:26 PM
bjh

60,243 posts, read 30,507,128 times

Today’s Question:
If you were gifted-for free-(or won) two tickets to the Broadway show “Hamilton”, what
would you do: attend the show with someone, give the tickets away, or try to sell them ?
Don't think I know anyone who'd want them: sell.

Extra Credit:
Have you had a "candlelit dinner" (definition can include oil-burning flame in glass jar, in lieu
of actual candle),
Every time the power goes out.

Bonus:
Known of veterinarian offices that have a resident blood donor cat who hangs out in some areas.

Just for Fun:

Probably, though nothing immediately springs to mind.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics