Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
My dad owned that dairy (Reliance Dairy #10) for four years, from 1978-82. I worked for him the last year he owned it.

And of course, who could forget the Market Baskets?

And Casa de Tacos that used to be next to the dairy?

And the kids that would come in to the dairy with their buckets of sand and crawdads from the nearby creek?
Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 12:22 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
That stretch of Whittier Blvd is not much changed from the 1980s.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Buildings View Post
Did your dad father the diary to developers? Have you seen the land as is today?
It was a drive-in dairy; no cows involved, sorry. Milk, ice cream, and various/sundry items were the order of the day.

It's still a drive-in dairy, and saibot is right; not much changed from the '80s. For me, that is a positive, but for someone not familiar with the area I could see their thinking it somewhat rinky-dink if they're the type favoring new, modern and sleek looking areas.

I just wish the owners of Bristol Manor apartments would upgrade those things. The Register had a write-up several years ago highlighting the blight there.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:33 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,350 times
Somehow, though, the hills overlooking the area make up for anything else that may be lacking.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There was another bank, I think it was American Savings, right across from Whittwood, that always put up a big Christmas tree decoration on the roof. We could see it at night almost a mile away.
You've just solved a 30-year-old mystery!

In the early to mid 1980s I lived in Anaheim Hills. The house was on a hillside with a wonderful view. Every year I'd see a tiny "tree" made of lights, far in the distance, from Thanksgiving to Jan 1st. I figured it was a large rooftop decoration that I was seeing from afar (it looked so small from my house that most people didn't notice it) Seeing it each year was a signal that the holidays were here.

Yet I always wondered, where was it? I could never figure it out. Binoculars gave no clues. With my telescope, I could see there was a star on top, but no details as to what building (or street or city) it might be.

We moved away a few years later.

Each Christmas, for the next three decades, I'd remember that tree. It drove me nuts that I didn't know where it was. (I realize this sounds nuts but, again, I focus on odd things

Then yesterday I was fooling around with Google Earth and determined that slice of my view* was near
La Habra. A search for "La Habra 1980s" lead me here. Mystery (probably) solved! Thanks.

*I could go on about how I figured that out, but that was more than anyone wanted to know.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namowal View Post
You've just solved a 30-year-old mystery!

In the early to mid 1980s I lived in Anaheim Hills. The house was on a hillside with a wonderful view. Every year I'd see a tiny "tree" made of lights, far in the distance, from Thanksgiving to Jan 1st. I figured it was a large rooftop decoration that I was seeing from afar (it looked so small from my house that most people didn't notice it) Seeing it each year was a signal that the holidays were here.

Yet I always wondered, where was it? I could never figure it out. Binoculars gave no clues. With my telescope, I could see there was a star on top, but no details as to what building (or street or city) it might be.

We moved away a few years later.

Each Christmas, for the next three decades, I'd remember that tree. It drove me nuts that I didn't know where it was. (I realize this sounds nuts but, again, I focus on odd things

Then yesterday I was fooling around with Google Earth and determined that slice of my view* was near
La Habra. A search for "La Habra 1980s" lead me here. Mystery (probably) solved! Thanks.

*I could go on about how I figured that out, but that was more than anyone wanted to know.
That's wonderful! I loved seeing that tree during the holidays as a child. It seemed so magical, shining high up above everything else.

Glad I could help solve the mystery.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
That's wonderful! I loved seeing that tree during the holidays as a child. It seemed so magical, shining high up above everything else.

Glad I could help solve the mystery.
Apparently it's still there. The building isn't an American Savings anymore, but they've carried on the tradition.
https://www.presstelegram.com/2012/1...y-in-whittier/
https://twitter.com/PIHHealth/status...247872/photo/1

Last edited by namowal; 12-30-2019 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Tried to make the links live...

Old 12-30-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Apparently it's still there. The building isn't an American Savings anymore, but they've carried on the tradition.
https://www.presstelegram.com/2012/1...y-in-whittier/
https://twitter.com/PIHHealth/status...247872/photo/1
Ah, thanks! My memory is that the tree was all gold lights, but otherwise, it looks about the same.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Ah, thanks! My memory is that the tree was all gold lights, but otherwise, it looks about the same.
Yes, I remember it as gold too. I guess it got a "makeover" since the last time we saw it.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:40 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,949 times
Quote:
Yes, I remember it as gold too. I guess it got a "makeover" since the last time we saw it.
My experiences of Whittier-LaHabra were from the early 90s. I sold Medicare Advantage (HMO) policies to old timers for a now defunct company called FHP. It always seemed to be a very insulated area, sort of like a “land that time forgot”. My manager (a Whittier native) would tell us that Whittier residents did not like blacks, for example. In fact, I believe it used to be a “sundown town”. Some of the old timers used to like POLLY’s PIES, CHRIS & PITTS, There used to be a winding stretch of 39 that ran northward from Whittier Bl (Arco gas station on the corner) that still looked rural with livestock and pastures. I would feel what maybe Whittier used to be when I drove this road.
Does anyone remember what occupied the land where Whittwwood Mall, the “Quad” and Presbyterian hospital now stand? Is the drive-in still there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County