Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetos79 View Post
Hello,does anyone remember the old arcade on imperial off of Idaho....I spent my child hood years in the late 80s.I used to love to play street fighter and would play for hours with only 50 cents.lol good times!!
Totally remember it even though I didn't frequent that particular arcade.

My arcade place, besides the La Habra 300 and my dad's drive-in dairy that he owned from 1978-1982, was around the corner from my parents' old house, in the strip mall between Der Wienerschnitzel and McDonald's off of Whittier Blvd. Don't remember the name of it but spent plenty of coins playing Galaga and Pac-Man.

Unlike you, Cheetos, I could not go for hours on fifty cents. I was done with my three-dollar limit with half-an-hour to an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,823 times
Default I remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I thought I would start this thread because I think the area is kind of special (and not just because I grew up there) . It sits in an area in which freeways don't cross, there are still wild hillsides, and little or no interaction with Hollywood "stars"....though I'm sure Octomom is a dubious claim to fame these days......

And a lot more things were going on back in the '70s and '80s as far as "stuff to do".

Anybody with me on this?
I remember the miniature golf place. Spent countless days and nights there. Had a giant magnet that I was able to use to rack up multiple points and extra games. Cost a quarter for endless fun.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,743 times
There was a Market Basket on Whittier Blvd between Painter & Washington. My gramma cooked at Carrillio's and shopped at MB afterwork. I lived in Whittier till '60 then moved to La Habra, if you drove on Whittier Blvd but didn't turn on Harbor, I lived on Whittier & Verona. I think Nixon's/Whirley's drive-in, was near Ocean, on Whittier Blvd. Loved Q-Burger, across from the high school, building is still there but not the great Q burger food!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:57 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
La Habra drive-in at Idaho/Imperial.

Now a Target.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 AM

611 posts, read 1,600,460 times
Bullocks and United Artist theater at Idaho and Imperial. Safeway market across the street currently a tj maxx.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb43 View Post
There was a Market Basket on Whittier Blvd between Painter & Washington. My gramma cooked at Carrillio's and shopped at MB afterwork. I lived in Whittier till '60 then moved to La Habra, if you drove on Whittier Blvd but didn't turn on Harbor, I lived on Whittier & Verona. I think Nixon's/Whirley's drive-in, was near Ocean, on Whittier Blvd. Loved Q-Burger, across from the high school, building is still there but not the great Q burger food!
That is now a Green Burrito, which CKE bought and interspersed inside its Carl's Jr. locations.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
What about the arcade off of Idaho behind, in that time dunking donuts. I grew up kicking ass in street fighter in the 80s? Anyone remember?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:20 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
I grew up right on the border, on the La Habra side of Whittier Blvd and Valley Home, in the 1970s and 80s. There was a dairy and a little store called Town & Country on Whittier Blvd. where we used to walk to get candy. My mom thought it was dangerous for us to walk around that busy street so we had to go in pairs.

I also remember going through the Googie style car wash at Beach & Whittier. We thought that was very cool. Going towards the Whittier side, we used to bank at Home Savings. I remember coming with my mom week after week and watching an artist paint a mural of colorful horses across the wall. I think that was Millard Sheets. Loved those stylized horses and wonder if they are still there.

There was another bank, I think it was American Savings, right across from Whittwood, that always put up a big Christmas tree decoration on the roof. We could see it at night almost a mile away.

And, I recall there was a Farrell's across the parking lot at Whittwood where we always seemed to end up for kid's parties. Right next to it there was a one-screen theater. First movie I ever saw in a theater was there; it was "The Rescuers."

Oh well, tons of memories of La Habra/Whittier. We used to eat at El Cholo all the time. I went there a few years ago and the atmosphere was totally different. I worked at the East Whittier YMCA (behind Whittwood) for many years. Too much to mention!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I grew up right on the border, on the La Habra side of Whittier Blvd and Valley Home, in the 1970s and 80s. There was a dairy and a little store called Town & Country on Whittier Blvd. where we used to walk to get candy. My mom thought it was dangerous for us to walk around that busy street so we had to go in pairs.

I also remember going through the Googie style car wash at Beach & Whittier. We thought that was very cool. Going towards the Whittier side, we used to bank at Home Savings. I remember coming with my mom week after week and watching an artist paint a mural of colorful horses across the wall. I think that was Millard Sheets. Loved those stylized horses and wonder if they are still there.

There was another bank, I think it was American Savings, right across from Whittwood, that always put up a big Christmas tree decoration on the roof. We could see it at night almost a mile away.

And, I recall there was a Farrell's across the parking lot at Whittwood where we always seemed to end up for kid's parties. Right next to it there was a one-screen theater. First movie I ever saw in a theater was there; it was "The Rescuers."

Oh well, tons of memories of La Habra/Whittier. We used to eat at El Cholo all the time. I went there a few years ago and the atmosphere was totally different. I worked at the East Whittier YMCA (behind Whittwood) for many years. Too much to mention!
My dad owned that dairy (Reliance Dairy #10) for four years, from 1978-82. I worked for him the last year he owned it.

And of course, who could forget the Market Baskets?

And Casa de Tacos that used to be next to the dairy?

And the kids that would come in to the dairy with their buckets of sand and crawdads from the nearby creek?

Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
My dad owned that dairy (Reliance Dairy #10) for four years, from 1978-82. I worked for him the last year he owned it.
Oh, that's very cool! That would have been about the time I was going there for candy. (I was 9 in 1978).

Quote:
And of course, who could forget the Market Baskets?
I do remember that supermarket. And for a while there was one called Fazio's, and also McCoy's. That one was in Whittier though and it was kind of grubby. My mom shopped around for the best deals. Her favorite store was Vons, and and the only thing she bought at McCoy's was produce because it was cheaper there. She would talk to the produce manager, and he would bring out a big box of apples that had some bruises and bad spots from the back for her. Then she would take them home and make applesauce.

Quote:
And the kids that would come in to the dairy with their buckets of sand and crawdads from the nearby creek?
My older brother would never let me and my sister go to the creek. He said there was bad stuff going on down there. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County