Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 PM

111 posts, read 596,025 times

Advertisements

Ok, now I need advice... Which county has more to offer... In terms of quality of life, jobs, fun and weather... I know that Ventura is between Santa Barbara, and L.A., and Orange County is between San Diego, and L.A...

And of course the weather may be similar, but for you all who have been in Ventura County and Orange County, which County do you prefer and why?

All response is truly appreciated.

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 07:21 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,293 times
Hi FROMCATOGA,

I lived in Ventura County for 30 years. (Thousand Oaks for 27 and Oxnard for 3). We are looking to move to Orange County (South OC along the coast).

I personally think OC has more to offer. Everything seems to be at your fingertips. Without knowing what you consider fun, for me it would be the OC. The ocean, the hills, the marinas, the shopping, the topography, the airport, the famous amusement parks, gosh there is so much to do.
Ventura County has the ocean in Oxnard and Ventura but they do not compare to the OC. I used to live oceanfront in Oxnard so I can say this fairly. Ventura County is more of a family county. You move there to raise your kids and have a nice and safe life. It is a wonderful place to live. Orange County is also a family county and a lot more. Both have excellent schools.(depends on city again).

I don't know what city in these county's you are interested in, that makes a big difference. The city's varies in both county's so without knowing what city thats hard. What city's are you interested in?
It wouldn't be fair to compare say Simi Valley to Newport Beach (apples and oranges). But it sounds like you picked 2 great county's to consider. Good Luck!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 AM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times
Ventura County and Orange County are very similar yet also very different. Both are beautiful suburban areas in the extended Los Angeles metro. Many years ago, residents in both counties would commute to the city for work and play. Today, commutes are generally within 15-20 mile radius(IMHO) and take 30-45 minutes.

What interests you? Are you looking for a beach town? Million dollar home?...

Orange County has some of the best beach communities in America (Newport, Laguna, HB) while Ventura County has some of the best hill-view communites in America (Westlake, Oak Park,..). If you are indeed seeking surf may want to live in Ventura, itself, where one can bike to the surf then sip coffee downtown. (Ventura is more desirable than Oxnard). On the other hand--In OC, take a look at Huntington Beach (a more upscale version of Ventura but without the hills), Seal Beach(smaller town-type feel), and San Clemente(more upscale, towny, and much more hilly).

Ventura County has done a better job in preserving the "rural feel." Orange County doesn't stand up to it's name. In fact, you won't find very many Orange groves remaining in OC.. South Orange County has "decent" access to open space and preserves, however, it often requires a 5-10 minute drive.

Orange County has actually received the honor from some transporation study(forget the name??sorry) of having the best planned roadway, freeway, and surface street system in America. (verify this-it's stated on OCTA's website.) Freeways can be really rough, but congestion spots are expected and easily avoidable. Your best bet? ..Live either west of the 405 freeway, or south of Irvine to avoid the most traffic. (there are some congestion spots -El Toro Y on I-5, 405 in HB, (also CM and Irvine), end of the 55).

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 04-20-2007 at 07:50 AM..

Old 04-20-2007, 01:20 PM

111 posts, read 596,025 times
Thanks for the responses... I actually live in Ventura County, and only been down to OC about three times, and even then, I didn't venture deep into it. I've been in Anaheim, Buena Park, and Santa Ana... I'm just trying to get a feel of what it's like in Orange County, particulary in the good parts (Newport, Luguna Beach, Irvine, etc).

My family and I are considering making a move, and I've heard great things about OC, so we may consider relocating down there from Ventura County...

Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 AM

75 posts, read 94,245 times
I have lived in Venture county (born there) and Orange country (for college) and I must say there is really no contest. Orange county is much nicer, for me the reasons are as follows:
- Orange County has a lot of different people, there are communities for pretty much every major region in the world. This translates into a lot of interesting folks and great food. On the other hand Venture county is mainly white, mexican (there is a bit of an indian community).
- Orange County's economy is a real powerhouse, where as Venture Country is just so-so.
- Public schools are better and there is a good local university.
- At least in my view there are more nice areas in Orange Country, much of South Orange Country is nice. Where as only select areas of Venture Country are nice, most of it is uglish 70's architecture.

Anyhow, the Weather is about the same. Venture Country has a lot of farm land, but I don't know why anybody would want to live next to farm land.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:26 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,545 times
Ventura sounds nice...Just curious though...Probably not as many jobs up there though, huh?

Old 04-22-2007, 09:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,644 times
Default The two counties are completely different

Orange County is largely an extension of the grater LA area, sprawl and more sprawl; Ventura County is not. It is separated from LA by features of the natural landscape -- hills, mountain ridges and open space.

Orange and Ventura counties are completely different, certainly in terms of growth and destiny. Ventura's future is based on compact, pedestrian-oriented, mixed-use cities and preservation of open space, while Orange County is building more and more roads and largely car-based development. Orange County is more populated than Ventura and has a stronger economy. As such Orange offers more in terms of jobs than Ventura.

Ventura County has a huge backcountry with the Los Padres and Sespe wilderness areas, which shapes the character of the county as more rustic, rural and raw than Orange. Orange County lacks an equivalent to areas like Ventura's Santa Clara River Valley, Ojai, western Santa Monica Mountains or Anacapa Island.

Both counties offer their own pros and cons, but it's comparing apples to oranges (pardon the pun. Perhaps strawberries to oranges would be more appropriate.) The two counties are very different from each other.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 04-22-2007 at 09:55 PM..

Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,540 times
Orange County has the lowest unemployment rate in California at around 3%. I can throw a rock and hit a job paying atleast $10/hr straight out of high school. The OC economy is probably the most successful in California. The homeless and crime rate is pretty low as well. There are a few cities in southern OC that constantly make the top ten safest cities list in the nation. I think Irvine, Mission Viejo and Lake Forest competed for #1-5 a few years ago. And predictably, the public schools are top notch. When you think Stepford Wives, you think OC. It is maybe the quintessential suburb/American dream type lifestyle. At the same time, it has the advanteage of being sandwiched between LA and San Diego.

Ventura is less crowded, (I presume) and at the same time, it's advantage of being sandwiched between LA and Santa Barbara. It's got more history than OC. Lots of 60s and 70s architecture (which is not a bad thing). The beaches are nice. It has a more small-town feel to it. Lots of farms as previously stated, which I think is really nice. Slower paced life.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 32,624 times
Orange county is like new jersey, and Los Angeles is like New York..

Ventura is like hmm... Vermont.
Angoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, Heck Malibu Park, plus six flags in valencia trumps crap disneyland...

The valley has a great upbeat attitude and is one of the best places to be, although I currently reside in the o.c...

Plus your can hit santa monica and countless other places in los angeles, while still being close to the wine country!!

Orange county is terrible in the north, south is a bunch KB track homes (lacking in archetectural ecclecticism like the valley), but still rather nice.

although san diego... cornado area is actually a real plus. Awesome place with great clubs and night life... hmm... still i would go with the less crowded ventura area especially because its still growing in places like valencia..
Its slow paced now in ventura county, which is great but it can still change...
california keeps growing. whats sparce today...

Orange County is fast paced, but doesn't seem like it will hold up with the population increases, look at santa ana... its going to get worse before it gets better...and the problems are bound to spread-especially in the economic downturn

eh.. they're both great counties, but i would pick ventura... slower paced, overall very beautiful, great location... plus the traffic is a little less going to l.a to ventura and vice versa... instead of the 5 and what have you--i guess it depends on funding, employment, and family

Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,041 times
In some ways Ventura county reminds me of Orange county 50 yrs ago. All the citrus groves are basically gone in Orange county but there are miles of them & avocado groves in Ventura county. Ventura county is a fraction the population of Orange county w/ lots of open space. Ojai valley is quite beautiful & unique. But Orange county is more exciting w/ nice beach cities.

As others have said, it's like comparing oranges with no oranges left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County