Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 AM

155 posts, read 328,370 times

Advertisements

I googled to see if I could find any pictures and nothing came up I just thought that there would be because I think Orange County would ne named after the fruits, I could be wrong, but is their any orange groves still in Orange County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Yes, a mere ghost of what once was. There are some on both sides of Hwy 241. Also out Hwy 74 near La Pata, and on the west side of I-5 in Northern San Juan Capistrano are some scraggly remnants of my family's once luxuriant groves.

There are more in the North part of the county as well. At least there were the last time I was up there.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:01 PM

92 posts, read 349,577 times
There are still some orange groves in Irvine right by the Irvine Valley College on Jeffrey/Irvine Center Drive, there used to be many groves over there now there are only a few left.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:20 PM

28 posts, read 90,279 times
I used to walk through an orange grove to get to my elementary school in Yorba Linda. That was back in 1972. I remember my mother telling me not to pick the oranges because they were sprayed with pesticide.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:30 PM

342 posts, read 1,427,664 times
Hey Bootstrap Bill: That is funny - I must be older than you but we went to Adelaide Price Elementary in Anaheim in the late 50's and we walked by an Avacado orchard. We were told not to pick them, but it was because it was stealing. But when the Santa Ana winds blew them off the tree's we thought it was okay to pick them up. We never thought about pesticides back then. After high school, I lived in an apt in Santa Ana that was next to an orange grove. I would go pick a few fresh oranges to put in a bowl on the kitchen table. (Yes they were the nasty apartments on Minnie St between Borchardt and Wilshire - but they were ok places back then - just cheap rent).

I've been gone for many years - but sure miss the orange groves.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:59 PM

301 posts, read 1,510,935 times
Farming was a big industry in OC when land was cheap. By the 1970s most farmers realized they could make more money selling their land to real estate developers than they could as orange growers. There are still a very few little patches of trees here and there.

This is a photo of the last orange grove in Placentia. It has since been removed and some McMansions have been built in its place.

Photograph of Placentia's last commercial orange grove

Old 10-18-2009, 07:44 AM

155 posts, read 328,370 times
http://ljames1.home.netcom.com/baldy_groves_js.jpg

That's a nice picture from the 40's, its a shame what Southern California has lost, it truely was one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,199 times
Default "was"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAaron View Post

That's a nice picture from the 40's, its a shame what Southern California has lost, it truely was one of the most beautiful places on earth.
This verb tense is correct..."was"...the OC today is full of urban sprawl, strip malls, fast food, massage parlors, graffitti, multi-family dwellings, and traffic. It was one of the greatest farming communities until about 1970.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
Hey Bootstrap Bill: That is funny - I must be older than you but we went to Adelaide Price Elementary in Anaheim in the late 50's and we walked by an Avacado orchard. We were told not to pick them, but it was because it was stealing. But when the Santa Ana winds blew them off the tree's we thought it was okay to pick them up. We never thought about pesticides back then. After high school, I lived in an apt in Santa Ana that was next to an orange grove. I would go pick a few fresh oranges to put in a bowl on the kitchen table. (Yes they were the nasty apartments on Minnie St between Borchardt and Wilshire - but they were ok places back then - just cheap rent).

I've been gone for many years - but sure miss the orange groves.
I went to John Marshall! Early 60's and there was an orange grove right next to the school. Orange groves were everywhere. To this day I can close my eyes and smell the smudge pots.

Orange County was considered very rural. There was a pig farm where Brookhurst Jr. High now sits. And we used to get our milk from Yellis Dairy. Strawberry farm next to Savanna High.

I feel blessed to have grown up there when the problems of today couldn't even be imagined.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAaron View Post

That view isn't much different today looking north from the Santa Clara Valley, anywhere between Piru and Santa Paula. There are still groves there and in the far background, the snow capped Topa Topa mountains.

Perfect example (though there is no snow on the mountains in the Google Maps street view image):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...35.45,,0,-1.42
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County