Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 09:21 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

I live in Irvine. Great weather, pretty calm, proximity to a lot of great areas. Am I being too positive? I hope positivity is allowed. As I was in my pool, I looked out at the hills and thought why would I ever want to leave? When I vacation in other areas, they're very often less attractive than where I live. This isnt' meant to boast, but I feel great living here and I'm not sure why I need to feel bad about it.

For those that want/have to leave, that's ok too. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 09:41 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
There's nothing wrong with loving where you live, which is a great thing. In fact, I want people to love where they live, which I why I encourage folks to explore other areas if their current location isn't working.

What I object to is the notion that there's objectively a "best place" in general, and then disparaging other places (not accusing you OP of this). I totally get why people like SoCal, but I would be miserable there. For me, the high desert climate of southwest Idaho is just about perfect, and I would miss the cold/snow in winter and hot dry summers of we ever relocated. And the easy access to stunningly beautiful wild and rugged wilderness within a short drive from where we live in a vibrant urban center is also like being on vacation every day.

For some, their best place is in the midwest, the southeast, desert southwest, or northeast. That was the really interesting thing about the pandemic and remote work -- once people weren't tied via a job to a narrow set of areas they fanned out across the US.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
There's nothing wrong with loving where you live, which is a great thing. In fact, I want people to love where they live, which I why I encourage folks to explore other areas if their current location isn't working.

What I object to is the notion that there's objectively a "best place" in general, and then disparaging other places (not accusing you OP of this). I totally get why people like SoCal, but I would be miserable there. For me, the high desert climate of southwest Idaho is just about perfect, and I would miss the cold/snow in winter and hot dry summers of we ever relocated. And the easy access to stunningly beautiful wild and rugged wilderness within a short drive from where we live in a vibrant urban center is also like being on vacation every day.

For some, their best place is in the midwest, the southeast, desert southwest, or northeast. That was the really interesting thing about the pandemic and remote work -- once people weren't tied via a job to a narrow set of areas they fanned out across the US.
We are all different. There are times where I feel it's way too sunny and boring here. I've said it repeatedly, I can make anywhere work because I'm generally a very happy person. This is all subjective, there is no objectively best place. Not Boise, not Houston, not Atlanta, etc. All have warts. But when I walk my dog, and see my view, I revel in how blessed I am.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:22 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
We are all different. There are times where I feel it's way too sunny and boring here. I've said it repeatedly, I can make anywhere work because I'm generally a very happy person. This is all subjective, there is no objectively best place. Not Boise, not Houston, not Atlanta, etc. All have warts. But when I walk my dog, and see my view, I revel in how blessed I am.
Yep, it's mostly a mindset thing. We don't have dogs, but we feel the same way walking around in our neighborhood.

Old 05-08-2023, 01:38 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I love SoCal. There are very few things I don't like about it. Okay, traffic can be annoying, but you learn how to get around avoiding the worst of the traffic. Hot summers, those happen in lots of places. Summer is hot, what can you say. Wildfires, yeah they are scary and unpleasant, but certainly not constant. Last year I don't think there was a single fire that affected air quality in my location (south OC).

And there are so many things I love. I walk out my door and in five minutes am in a wilderness area with foothills and backed by 5000' mountains. Some of the most gorgeous beaches in the country are 20-30 minutes away. The weather is generally mild, pleasant weather--we don't need heat or a/c 98% of the time. Jobs are good, people are nice, and there are amenities galore.

I honestly can't think of any place in the country I would rather be.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I love SoCal. There are very few things I don't like about it. Okay, traffic can be annoying, but you learn how to get around avoiding the worst of the traffic. Hot summers, those happen in lots of places. Summer is hot, what can you say. Wildfires, yeah they are scary and unpleasant, but certainly not constant. Last year I don't think there was a single fire that affected air quality in my location (south OC).

And there are so many things I love. I walk out my door and in five minutes am in a wilderness area with foothills and backed by 5000' mountains. Some of the most gorgeous beaches in the country are 20-30 minutes away. The weather is generally mild, pleasant weather--we don't need heat or a/c 98% of the time. Jobs are good, people are nice, and there are amenities galore.

I honestly can't think of any place in the country I would rather be.
I don't want to say this out loud as I don't really want more people here, but OC traffic isnt' really that bad. OC, not LA. I lived in DC, Seattle, Austin, Denver. All worse than OC but better than LA

Old 05-10-2023, 06:00 PM

1,203 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
I live in Irvine. Great weather, pretty calm, proximity to a lot of great areas. Am I being too positive? I hope positivity is allowed. As I was in my pool, I looked out at the hills and thought why would I ever want to leave? When I vacation in other areas, they're very often less attractive than where I live. This isnt' meant to boast, but I feel great living here and I'm not sure why I need to feel bad about it.

The weather this year has been so awesome. I can look out my window and still see snow on Mt. Baldy. IN MAY. It's amazing.

The wildflowers in my neighborhood are also just going nuts.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
The weather this year has been so awesome. I can look out my window and still see snow on Mt. Baldy. IN MAY. It's amazing.

The wildflowers in my neighborhood are also just going nuts.
That looks like my hood

Old 05-12-2023, 09:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:

It felt like that to me when I in OC on vacay. But I was on vacay.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:52 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
It felt like that to me when I in OC on vacay. But I was on vacay.
Let me guess, when you are at home, you also feel very "at home"?

OP, you are not being too positive....well, maybe a tad but than again you need a point of reference to make any kind of determination. So, if someone is very unhappy living in OC/SoCal/CA, they might feel you are being too positive.

IMO, you should feel good about where you are for whatever reasons. If not, depending on the reason, you might consider relocating. Also, some people relocate for other reasons (family, job, etc.).

I will be relocating back to AZ within a year. Not my choice of destination as I lived there for couple of years about 15 years ago. Not a bad place but just not my cup of tea.
I'll be moving there short term for family but this will, in a way, allow me to take another stab at it. If I feel the same way again, I will relocate to my desired destination which was/is PNW.

I am still not unclear as to the purpose of this thread. Perhaps not to boast but might still be in need of affirmation of validation of some kind?
Doesn't matter, if you are happy with where you are then that is all it should matter (to you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County