Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 05:54 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times

Advertisements

Heather Rangel, press information officer for the Newport Beach Police Department, said Saturday there had been no arrests or citations related to the stay-at-home orders.

“The beaches are crowded and look like a summer day in Newport Beach,” she said in an email.

Huntington Beach elected to keep its coastline open, though the pier, beach parking lots and some metered parking remained closed.

“What the patrol officers are seeing is that people are staying within their own groups and appropriate distances apart,” she said. “It’s been a nice, warm day, and it sounds like people are complying and doing what we are asking of them.”

Enthusiasm for beachgoing during the pandemic is far from universal. Some Orange County cities, including Laguna Beach and Seal Beach, have closed their beaches. The Wedge, a popular Newport Beach surfing destination, is closed.

Despite coronavirus, many flock to Orange and Ventura county beaches to beat the heat:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-this-weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 06:30 PM

40 posts, read 54,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is a photo of Newport Beach taken around 2:30 pm today (Sunday 4/26). I'm not seeing the huge crowds.
easy, because yesterday was hotter than today. And people are more willing to go out to the beach on Saturdays than Sundays.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:23 PM

426 posts, read 353,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This weekend’s crowds will be a test; if people can’t adhere to rules in place, the city may opt to shut the beaches down completely, said Newport Beach spokesman John Pope.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/04/2...closure-lifts/
Sounds like today was a lot less crowded than yesterday. Hopefully if they allow additional (all) beaches to open up, it won't be completely insane. Either open all of them or shut them all. Just confining people to a few makes absolutely no sense.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 AM

252 posts, read 422,620 times
Podo

securing the Villas gate.....

Saturday morning, i left to go to the market, and CVS. The gates were working normally. One hour later or so I returned and the gate near the fire house had been rammed, the gate chain broken and laying on the ground, and the gate shoved open and jammed. They can also follow residents thru the open gate before it will close . The gates are posted as private property , residents only, but does not stop them.

The residents were complaining they had no place to park, and we just received a notice via the computer that the tow trucks would be patrolling and hooking up any vehicles not displaying parking permits.

The problem is not the gate, it is the turkey beach goers and surfers who just flat do not have any respect, and do what ever to park on property. The public beach parking has been closed .

Later , I was washing and detailing the car, and the tow trucks, were rapidly hauling off cars, one after the other.
It is interesting that you blame the Villas, and not the trespassers .

Well, those beach goers got a surprise when they returned to find their cars gone.

Our gates are continually be rammed, and jammed open. Maybe going thru the hassel of figuring out what happened to their illegally parked cars, and somehow getting to the towing company, wherever that is, and paying a heavy charge for the tow and impound , they might learn a lesson and stay off our posted property .

According to the notice from management, the tow trucks will continue to patrol and tow violators .

Old 04-27-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Sounds like today was a lot less crowded than yesterday.
It sounds as if Sunday was just as crowded.

"Orange County beaches drew crowds again Sunday amid hot weather and pent-up energy from stay-at-home orders."

'I’m not that scared': People flock to beaches again, bringing hand sanitizer and hope:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...hand-sanitizer

Old 04-27-2020, 07:43 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1520 View Post
easy, because yesterday was hotter than today. And people are more willing to go out to the beach on Saturdays than Sundays.

It was a few degrees cooler, and Sunday is still the weekend. I think there is more going on, because we were told, HUGE crowds showed up on Sunday, and the photos do not show huge crowds.

My daughter was at the beach in San Clemente again yesterday, and said it was quite busy, but not ridiculously crowded.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:37 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times
I took my dog for her usual walk this AM at one of Aliso Viejo's parks, and from the looks of the overflowing trash bins, there was probably some serious partying there yesterday.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:04 AM

252 posts, read 422,620 times
Salt creek beach was busy, but not overwhelmed.

The beach goers were maintaining good distance from each other, and it was not as busy as Saturday.

The trails that run along the beach had a few people, but really, no big deal on Sunday. Very few people were up on the grass of Salt Creek beach park and no sign of any kind of over crowding.

The people here in Dana Point, are doing a pretty darned good job of following the rules at the beaches and on the trails.

I did not hike down to inside Dana Point harbor, but from Salt Creek area did look out over the ocean and there was only one sailing vessel and maybe four motor vessels anywhere to be seen along the coast or out to sea.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:59 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
all the beaches (state and city) in Huntington Beach are open.
The parking lots are closed, and so is the parking on PCH.
It is designed to keep the crowds small - if you really have a need to go to the beach, it will be a challenge to find parking or to cycle in.

That being said, I rode my bike on both Saturday and Sunday From my home on Warner to the Santa Ana River and back. Most people on the beach were compliant, but you always have a few jerks that will ruin it for everyone.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think there is more going on, because we were told, HUGE crowds showed up on Sunday, and the photos do not show huge crowds.
From viewing the photos in the slideshow in one of the above links, that bike path around the pier in Huntington Beach looks jammed and so do the stairs leading to Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County