Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,387 times

Advertisements

like San Juan Capistrano, Mission Viejo, etc. for school-age children, ages 13, 11, 10, 8? We would be moving 2007 in time for next school year. Our 13 year-old would be entering high school, while the others would be K-8. Commuting is not an issue.

Last edited by Donna7; 09-21-2006 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Had the year wrong. 2007, not 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 01:56 AM

61 posts, read 579,278 times
I used to live in both Carlsbad and Mission Viejo. I'll give you some characteristics of both.

Mission Viejo:
  • Very high median household income (Orange County's median income is also above average for CA/U.S.)
  • Excellent schools
  • Somewhat hot in summer
  • Upscale mall
  • Very low crime rate
  • A bit crowded, but not in an unattractive manner

Carlsbad:
  • Excellent climate year round
  • Proximity to ocean
  • Median household income still quite high, relatively (San Diego County is average for CA)
  • Crime rate moderately low
  • Excellent primary schools
  • Surfing/skateboarding culture at Carlsbad High; also somewhat high-performing
  • Proximity to San Diego (approx. 15 min I believe)
  • Proximity to Orange County (also about 15-25 min for San Clemente, 30-35 for M.V., Irvine takes more like 40-50 min depending on traffic)
  • More open space, but buildout has not been reached (unlike M.V.). Buildout is projected to occur by 2020. Supposedly, there will still be a lot of space left open though
  • Downtown area w/ independent record/music store, antique shops, some restaurants etc.

It all comes down to the characteristics you value. Personally, I prefer M.V., but a lot of people like Carlsbad too. I think they are both priced about the same.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :)

Thank you for your feedback - I appreciate very much the breakdown of both areas that you provided. Yes, I like both very much. I was wondering as to the Carlsbad breakdown, you mentioned that the primary schools are excellent - is that K-8, or just K-4? Also, any feedback on Carlsbad High school? (I'll go to the Carlsbad Unified School district and look some more things up). Our kids (listed) currently go to a Catholic parochial school in our town; the 8th grader will be in high school next year (2007), so I am wondering about the public school in Carlsbad vs. perhaps a Catholic school in Del Mar.

If you have any thoughts on the high school(s) in Carlsbad, let me know. Again, I appreciate so very, very much your excellent, detailed feedback.

Wishing you a wonderful day!

Old 09-23-2006, 08:09 AM

Default Sorry

I just read the comment you had on the "Surfing/skateboarding" culture regarding Carlsbad - sorry, I missed that initially! LOL!

Old 09-23-2006, 09:41 AM

160 posts, read 975,588 times
I have lived in So. CA for 9+ yrs and currently reside in Ladera Ranch, which is a master planned community just east of Mission Viejo. Mission Viejo is very nice, as is Ladera Ranch. Ladera is more expensive, but has community pools, parks, trails, community events...etc. Depends on what you can spend. I would stear clear of San Juan Cap. Some nice areas, but schools are not good and you would most likely need to send your child to private school. You can check out area schools using the website...Greatschools.net. We will be relocating out of state in the near future and I have found this site to be very helpful.
Carslbad is also a very nice area. Not sure about the schools. Like I said, it all depends on what you can afford.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Carlsbad to downtown SD is 15 minutes at 3AM. (even then, more like 30 minutes)

My boss commutes from Carlsbad to Poway, leaves at 6AM and it takes 1hr.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Thank you

both for the continued feedback - I appreciate it very much. I really appreciate hearing from locals that live(d) in either location, and hearing what life is like.

Again, thank you for the info.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:14 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,871 times
I live near Mission Viejo and can tell you it is a great place to raise a family. Housing prices are inches higher up here in O.C. You also may want to think about the future. San Diego and North County are expected to gain thousands of new residents and pack them onto already overcrowded roads and schools. Orange County isn't much better, however the county is almost entirely "built-out." This ensures things to stay the same longer. Both school systems do have to surfer images going on.. Carlsbad more-so, due to the proximity to the ocean. With that said-neither of these schools have the major problems of gangs that are typically found closer to the city. Carlsbad does have a lower-class area in downtown concentrated by illegal immigrants and Hispanics; Mission Viejo does not. Mission Viejo gives you access to world-class shopping, hotels, spas, and parks. Carlsbad does-so as well, but on a smaller scale.
Comment on open-space- OC Great Park will open soon just north of Lake Forest and will provide MV residents much more open space. The Great Park is said to be the largest public park in SoCal; larger than NYC's Central Park.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:56 PM

61 posts, read 579,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Carlsbad does have a lower-class area in downtown concentrated by illegal immigrants and Hispanics; Mission Viejo does not.
Economically, Mission Viejo is more consistent. Carlsbad does have a lower-class (actually, I should say average) neighborhood south of the village, known as Barrio Carlsbad. It is probably the main reason why Carlsbad's median household income is about $10,000 lower then Mission Viejo's (though it still well above average). According to the Census Bureau, Mission Viejo's median H.I. was $90,855 in 2005; Carlsbad's was $78,037. [The U.S. M.H.I. is $46,242.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Mission Viejo gives you access to world-class shopping, hotels, spas, and parks.
Not necessarily. Two world-class resorts, the Four Seasons Resort at Aviara and the La Costa Resort and Spa, are located in Carlsbad. The city of Mission Viejo itself does not have any resorts at all.

Parks, however, are a different issue. Visit maps.google.com and type in the name of each city. You will find that Mission Viejo has many more parks then Carlsbad does. Carlsbad however, has more open space. Different things seemed to be emphasized for each city.

Primary schools in both cities are usually considered to be K-8 [elementary and middle].

Last edited by smu7070; 09-23-2006 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Primary schools

Old 09-25-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Thanks! :)

Thank you newport and smu - appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County