Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,423,272 times

Advertisements

No, some Omaha residents may be offended that a few gay people make their gayness the only focus
ALL. THE. TIME.

Be gay. Live your life. It's not all about YOUR gayness all the time.

Last edited by Fern435; 04-20-2009 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 01:11 PM

516 posts, read 1,339,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
No, some Omaha residents may be offended that a few gay people make their gayness the only focus
ALL. THE. TIME.

Be gay. Live your life. It's not all about YOUR gayness all the time.

Well actually I disagree. If one is gay and feels oppressed by society as a result of that gayness, then that individual has every right (and in fact a responsibility) to strongly focus on changing the prevailing social narrowness. What you are advocating here is basically that its ok to be gay as long as you keep quiet about it. The closet is alive and well I suppose.

People who fight for social justice are rarely popular because they force people to confront issues that they would rather not have to think about.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Well actually I disagree. If one is gay and feels oppressed by society as a result of that gayness, then that individual has every right (and in fact a responsibility) to strongly focus on changing the prevailing social narrowness. What you are advocating here is basically that its ok to be gay as long as you keep quiet about it. The closet is alive and well I suppose.

No, I did not say it's OK for them to be gay as long as they keep quiet about it. You are making an incorrect assumption.

Most gay/lesbian/bi people and couples who neither hide their orientation nor shove it into every aspect of conversation get far more respect from their communities. Unfortunately, the self-centered flamboyant ones (the narcissists) are the ones who make it harder for the down-to-earth people.

I feel oppressed by these people who constantly whine about being oppressed....

Not everything in the world is about being gay/straight/bi/whatever.

What a typical hysterical I'm-so-socially-responsible-in-the-narrow-minded midwest comment.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:41 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,905,614 times
Quote:

People who fight for social justice are rarely popular because they force people to confront issues that they would rather not have to think about.
I think that poster is simply pointing out that millions of people are gay without being obnoxious dumbasses.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I think that poster is simply pointing out that millions of people are gay without being obnoxious dumbasses.
Exactly!

There are issues in this world that do not involve one's sexual orientation.

Incredible, but true.

Last edited by Fern435; 04-20-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,727,687 times
Quote:

I understand where you're coming from, but I really don't agree entirely.

I don't really care if SurfOmaha is gay, or if he talks about it. But if that's ALL he talks about, regardless of whatever else a conversation may be about, people start to tune it out.

I'm heterosexual - as apparently are you. But I don't bring heterosexuality into EVERY conversation I ever have with ANYBODY about ANYTHING. There are so many OTHER things to talk about.

That's all.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:29 PM

516 posts, read 1,339,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
No, I did not say it's OK for them to be gay as long as they keep quiet about it. You are making an incorrect assumption.

Most gay/lesbian/bi people and couples who neither hide their orientation nor shove it into every aspect of conversation get far more respect from their communities. Unfortunately, the self-centered flamboyant ones (the narcissists) are the ones who make it harder for the down-to-earth people.

I feel oppressed by these people who constantly whine about being oppressed....

Not everything in the world is about being gay/straight/bi/whatever.

What a typical hysterical I'm-so-socially-responsible-in-the-narrow-minded midwest comment.

I guess that I don't see how being respected by one's community for being low-key achieves any political purpose in the end. If you want things to change you have to be vocal about it. True that not every gay person is an activist, but if nobody were than the current status quo would be terminal. There is nothing hysterical about that.

Feeling oppressed by people "whining" about being oppressed is rather narrow-minded actually. And offensive.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,905,614 times
Quote:
I guess that I don't see how being respected by one's community for being low-key achieves any political purpose in the end. If you want things to change you have to be vocal about it. True that not every gay person is an activist, but if nobody were than the current status quo would be terminal. There is nothing hysterical about that.

Feeling oppressed by people "whining" about being oppressed is rather narrow-minded actually. And offensive.
Well I feel mildly oppressed that government institutions hire based on gender and color rather than ability.

What do you recommend I do? Shall I flood these forums with obnoxious statements and just plain stupidity?

Or, should I be more tactful, meaningful, and mature to raise awareness?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Well I feel mildly oppressed that government institutions hire based on gender and color rather than ability.

What do you recommend I do? Shall I flood these forums with obnoxious statements and just plain stupidity?

Or, should I be more tactful, meaningful, and mature to raise awareness?
I think you should blow something up. We'll refer to it as "The Bill Ayers Way."

Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Are people that "feel" oppressed always oppressed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha