Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:11 PM

17 posts, read 79,133 times

Advertisements

We used to go to South Omaha to the Czeckoslavakian cafe in the 70's. Is it still there? They had good czeck cuisine for cheap prices and there was always a line of people waiting to get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,490 times
Bohemian Cafe? But of course!

Recently cited among ten 'great family run restaurants' in Bon Appetite magazine.

http://pictureomaha.com/gallery/districts/11/pic5.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-27-2007, 10:10 AM

That's the same one! So it's now called the Bohemian Cafe. Same place. Can't wait to go there again.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:18 AM

There used to be a coffee shop I ate at while working at the old Baum Iron Company. The coffee shop was called 'KINGS' and they had a special KINGS sandwich that was a cheese sandwich dipped in batter and corn flakes and deep fried. It was the best "grilled cheese sandwich" I ever ate even though I know it must be really bad for you. Is KINGS still around? It was in old downtown area.
Great pictures Star_Gazer!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:12 PM

38,881 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Default Mister C's and Gallagher's

The first time I visited Omaha 20 years ago (has it really been that long???), my friend took me to dinner at Mister C's Steak House. I remember all the little Christmas lights inside that made it look like you were looking at a starry sky.

Another place we ate at that I liked was a place at 108th and Pacific by the name of Gallagher's. I'm not sure if it's still there or if another restaurant is in its place. I could remember the food and atmosphere being superb.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I miss two of my favorites:

I remember going to the Ground Cow restaurant about 78th and Pacific St. years ago. It had closed (I guess the owner died). Has anyone ever opened another restaurant similar to that one yet? It was so good, with excellent ground beef and a “world” of different toppings.

Another favorite spot was around 78h and Dodge Rd. called Rose’s Lodge. It served fried chicken and also chicken and dumplings. Here too the owner may have died years ago and no one was able to keep the business going.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:15 AM

41 posts, read 121,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
The first time I visited Omaha 20 years ago (has it really been that long???), my friend took me to dinner at Mister C's Steak House. I remember all the little Christmas lights inside that made it look like you were looking at a starry sky.
Sadly, Mr. C's closed. The man who owned it was probably around 75 years old, and none of his kids wanted to take it over, so they had to close. That same family (I think they are all brothers) owns Caniglia's and Venice Inn, but I always liked Mr. C's best.

Anyway, for Italian food I love La Casa's, although Zio's also has great pizza
Mexican: La Mesa (they have several locations)
BBQ: Famous Dave's (several locations)
Chinese: China Road (it's actually in Bellevue, a southern suburb)
Fine dining: Passport, in the Old Market (that's where my fiance proposed, and it was wonderful--very personal service and great food, although $25+ a plate)
I also like to go to Spaghetti Works in the Old Market (it's cheap and fun), and Old Chicago's is a nice place to enjoy pizza and beer (several locations).

Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 AM

21 posts, read 60,659 times
Yeah, Mr. C's closing was a bummer. Spaghetti Works in the Old Market is nice as schues said. Endless pasta - yum! I liked the old train dining car they had outside of it. My wife and I had our rehearsal dinner in the car.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:15 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,278 times
That car isn't there anymore. Some collector bought it.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:52 PM

38,881 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Unhappy No More Mr. C's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schues View Post
Sadly, Mr. C's closed. The man who owned it was probably around 75 years old, and none of his kids wanted to take it over, so they had to close. That same family (I think they are all brothers) owns Caniglia's and Venice Inn, but I always liked Mr. C's best.

<snipped the rest>
I'm so sorry to hear that Mr. C's is no longer in business, as that was my first full-service restaurant experience in Omaha, and I will never forget it. However, it's good to know that the owner's family is still in the restaurant business in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha