Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,667,820 times

Advertisements

Turner Falls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 03:36 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,302,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman09 View Post
My favorite places to spend time in Colorado are in the SW area. Take a look at "Little Switzerland" OURAY LOVERS - Web Site For Ouray, Colorado (Photos, Discussion Forum and Information). I have relaxed in the natural hot spring swimming pool in this beautiful little mountain town when snow drifts were high in winter and flakes were falling. Take the "Million Dollar Highway through the mountains to Silverton or come up from the south and visit Mesa Verde http://www.mesaverde.com/ first, then up to Durango. In Durango, catch the Durango & Silverton train Ride With Us | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train spending the day in Silverton and then bus back to Durango or return on the train. Either way, the Ouray - Silverton - Tellurid area is spectacular and if you go, it will be a trip you will not forget. I would spin back through Gunnison on the way back home and take a look at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park - Photos & Multimedia (U.S. National Park Service) (http://www.nps.gov/blca/photosmultimedia/index.htm - broken link)
I second Ouray. I haven't acually camped there, but it is beautiful. I'm not sure these restaurants are still there, but there were three restaurants in town that were basically named "Good Times" in the language of whatever food they were serving. I still crave the blue corn enchiladas from the Mexican restaurant.

The Silverton-Durago train is a lot of fun, but don't forget your sunglasses and wear a dark color if you ride in an open car. Those cinders will get into your eyes and get your clothes dirty. We've stayed at the Lightner Creek campground a couple of times. It's privately owned and well kept. If you're in the area, you might as well go spend another day over at Mesa Verde. Mesa Verde National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

We also love the Great Sand Dunes. Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve (U.S. National Park Service) It's beautiful. Medino Creek is the runoff from the snow in the mountains. It runs along the base of the sand dunes. It's tricky getting a spot in the campgrounds. There isn't a system for reservations. We've had our best luck showing up during the weekdays and getting there before noon.

We've camped in a lot of different places in the area around Leadville and the 14ers/Collegiate Peaks. Lots of Ghost Towns and old mines in the area like St. Elmo. Mt. Princeton has some hot springs that are great for relaxing. The camping in these areas also fills up fast, but there are some places you can make reservations. I can't think of the name of the book right now, but there is a wonderful guide to camping areas and points of interest in Colorado. It's come in really handy for us when we couldn't find camping in some of the areas that were our first choice. If you're interested, let me know and I'll ask dh.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:47 PM

78 posts, read 335,544 times
mmm....blue corn enchiladas. that sounds so good!

that books sounds helpful & I'm definitely interested!! i think we'll try a lot of week day camping this summer so hopefully that will help with getting better spots.

thanks again guys!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM

664 posts, read 2,096,068 times
I am also a big fan of South west CO, but not so much for camping... never camped there. Didn't have to my parents have a house in Pagosa Springs. I enjoyed the "Jeep" trails and the old mining towns...
I wouldn't suggest Black Bear Pass to the beginner, but there are a lot of easier trails for the novice.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,302,212 times
The book is "Colorado Campgrounds: The 100 Best and All The Rest". It even lists some of the best campsites within the campgrounds.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM

78 posts, read 335,544 times
Quote:
The book is "Colorado Campgrounds: The 100 Best and All The Rest". It even lists some of the best campsites within the campgrounds.
Thank you!

Yes, we are novice everything right now, lol. We really just want to stop with the couch potato-ing & start enjoying the great outdoors!! We use to hike & camp when we lived in CA and were used to the areas, but that was 5 years ago...time to live again.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,444,986 times
http://www.gifts.com/ssp?slkw=colora...te={placement}

Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,509 times
The campgrounds in Sulphur are awesome in the summer because of the cold springs. The campgrounds are super clean and pretty well shaded. There are great walking/biking trails througout the park. No alcohol at the Cold Springs Campgrounds but there are other campgrounds in the area to do allow booze. Also, the Wichita Mountains have some really good spots as well. They have a primitive area that only allows 10 people at one time in this certain area. Tons of hiking and sights to see.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:27 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,599,722 times
Default Neck and Neck

I would rate the Lakes in the far ' Northeast " and ' Southeast region of Oklahoma most BEAUTIFUL...my Fave are the Northeastern Lakes because They Are Close To TULSA.

Tenkiller
Kerr Reservior
Greenleaf
Grand Lake of the Cherokees
The Illonois River

Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,289,865 times
Honey Creek State Park on the shores of Grand Lake in Grove, OK is in the foothills of the Ozark mountains. It is a full service 35 acre park that serves primitive campers as well as RV. You'll find a boat launch and other conveniences in the park, and things to do nearby. It is not far from Eureka Springs or Hot Springs.

I DO NOT recommend swimming in this lake. Boating and skiing, but not swimming. The lake is very deep and 65 miles long. The raccoons love to raid campsites.

OK summers are hot. Early summer and fall are the coolest dates. The pelicans are on the lake by late September and stay until the first part of November. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma