Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,795,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillywhite View Post
Religion and family are massive here. It makes it tough for somebody from elsewhere who doesn't have religion or family here.

Very, very conservative. Shockingly so. Also very, very proud people. They generally won't hear a bad word about Oklahoma.

And yes, very slow pace. Everything is spread out - lots of open space.
Ummm, I don't know if I agree with this. We are not religious, don't belong to a church, and all our family is on the east coast, but I feel we've adjusted well. Just getting ready to start our 3rd year here.

I guess if you're the type that needs to be around people all the time, it might be a problem, but not for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,795,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
There is plenty of good pizza and bagels in Oklahoma... well... in OKC and Tulsa anyway. I've been to NY before, and I feel that both places have good pizza. In OKC, good pizza can be found at Cafe 501 (gourmet pizza) in Edmond, and at the Hideaway. Also, try Sophabella's in OKC as well as Papa's Lil Italy in OKC.

New York Bagels is an Oklahoma-founded company started by two New Yorkers who went to OSU and in 1986 couldn't find a bagel shop anywhere in Stillwater. So, they solved the bagel cravings by starting up New York Bagels. Very good. Also, Panera Bread has VERY good bagels.

I don't think you have any reason for concern
I've tried NY bagels and they are acceptable. I have not found decent pizza yet, so I'm going to try what you suggested.

To the OP, If you're into Philly Cheesesteak, be prepared to be asked if you want lettuce, tomato and mayo on it. My son (a huge fan of said sandwich) was appalled the first time he was asked that.

If you're a fan of Jersey Taylor Ham (pork roll), you won't find it here. Or Pennsylvania scrapple. The fresh seafood selection is, understandably, a little skimpy.

But, you'll get great steaks and barbeque. Also great chicken fried steak. I never did develop a taste for okra that everyone seems to love here. However, I've gone absolutely nuts about pickle sickles (especially in the summertime).

We're about to take our annual trek back to NJ for Thanksgiving, and I intend to gorge myself on bagels, pizza and taylor ham. May bring some back with me, too.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Ummm, I don't know if I agree with this. We are not religious, don't belong to a church, and all our family is on the east coast, but I feel we've adjusted well. Just getting ready to start our 3rd year here.

I guess if you're the type that needs to be around people all the time, it might be a problem, but not for us.
I agree, Colleen. We have a lot of friends who do not fit the stereotype of Baptist, conservative, etc. I have friends who are writers and musicians, etc . and definitely not into organized religion. I think it is a matter of kindred souls...

I had to laugh though, because that time we went to OKC to visit with everyone and computer guy, Don asked Kari what church she went to...:

But you guys would have to know Don. He is straight from the heart. Nothing phoney or elitist about him.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 PM

16 posts, read 35,487 times
You know, I'm always seeing ads for Sonic and we don't have any out here. Looks awesome.

And is it that conservative in the OKC/Midwest City areas? As you pointed out I don't have religion or family. I am young however, 21, and single so does that make a difference?

And when you say slow paced...how about traffic. Like out here if we are not in a rush we go 10-15 mphs faster then the speed limit and like 20-25 faster when in a rush. How about out there?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 PM

778 posts, read 2,324,724 times
Hey Abe!

I'm about your age (23) and I live in NW OKC. I went to school here from TX for 5 years and am now working full time at an oil company in OKC.

I'm guessing that if you're living near MWC that your friend/buddy will be stationed at Tinker. I will say that in the area your looking in its pretty conservative, lots of military families and such. There are a lot of airmen that live off base, and with it theres a few dive bars scattered around MWC, but nothing to get excited about. It is a short jaunt to Bricktown, though. Coming from NYC you will probably be disappointed, but it will get the job done as far as entertainment. Plus the NBA is here now so thats another option. Personally I'm more of a bar person compared to a "clubber" and there's actually a ton of great bars in the midtown district.

As for the slow pace, most people here are spot on. Even coming from Texas, the pace here is sloooooow! Its can be both annoying and relaxing at the same time. People here tend to speed, maybe 5+10 over, but anything more might get you a beatdown by the OHP. The traffic here is a joke.

And I will say this about OKC: I'm very much a "city" person and I've gotten the itch to maybe move to another larger city. But I'm always lured back here by the friendly people and easy pace of life, not to mention the current economic state. OKC currently has the lowest unemployment rate of any metro with 1 million+. Come here with an open mind, understand that some things will probably appeal to your, while others will bug the hell out of you and make you want to go back to NY. It will be what you make of it. Have fun!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I've tried NY bagels and they are acceptable. I have not found decent pizza yet, so I'm going to try what you suggested.

To the OP, If you're into Philly Cheesesteak, be prepared to be asked if you want lettuce, tomato and mayo on it. My son (a huge fan of said sandwich) was appalled the first time he was asked that.

If you're a fan of Jersey Taylor Ham (pork roll), you won't find it here. Or Pennsylvania scrapple. The fresh seafood selection is, understandably, a little skimpy.

But, you'll get great steaks and barbeque. Also great chicken fried steak. I never did develop a taste for okra that everyone seems to love here. However, I've gone absolutely nuts about pickle sickles (especially in the summertime).

We're about to take our annual trek back to NJ for Thanksgiving, and I intend to gorge myself on bagels, pizza and taylor ham. May bring some back with me, too.

They put that on philly cheesesteaks? Wow, thats upsetting.

It's probably good then that I love steak and bbq.

I'm under the impression things are much cheaper then what I am used to.

And if they have pizza hut I can live with that. We consider pizza hut good ****ty pizza but if its the best I can get I'll take it.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Hey Abe!

I'm about your age (23) and I live in NW OKC. I went to school here from TX for 5 years and am now working full time at an oil company in OKC.

I'm guessing that if you're living near MWC that your friend/buddy will be stationed at Tinker. I will say that in the area your looking in its pretty conservative, lots of military families and such. There are a lot of airmen that live off base, and with it theres a few dive bars scattered around MWC, but nothing to get excited about. It is a short jaunt to Bricktown, though. Coming from NYC you will probably be disappointed, but it will get the job done as far as entertainment. Plus the NBA is here now so thats another option. Personally I'm more of a bar person compared to a "clubber" and there's actually a ton of great bars in the midtown district.

As for the slow pace, most people here are spot on. Even coming from Texas, the pace here is sloooooow! Its can be both annoying and relaxing at the same time. People here tend to speed, maybe 5+10 over, but anything more might get you a beatdown by the OHP. The traffic here is a joke.

And I will say this about OKC: I'm very much a "city" person and I've gotten the itch to maybe move to another larger city. But I'm always lured back here by the friendly people and easy pace of life, not to mention the current economic state. OKC currently has the lowest unemployment rate of any metro with 1 million+. Come here with an open mind, understand that some things will probably appeal to your, while others will bug the hell out of you and make you want to go back to NY. It will be what you make of it. Have fun!

So what your saying is that my propensity to drive 10 to 15 over plus my new york plates means I am going to get pulled over often?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,997,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe2111 View Post
They put that on philly cheesesteaks? Wow, thats upsetting.
And having had cheese steaks in Philly, I don't see what the fuss is about for shaved beef and onions served with velveeta........I'm not sure even Kraft calls velveeta cheese....isn't it just a cheese food?

Quote:
I'm under the impression things are much cheaper then what I am used to.
Pretty much. Of course it depends on what you are wanting to buy.

Quote:
And if they have pizza hut I can live with that. We consider pizza hut good ****ty pizza but if its the best I can get I'll take it.
We have several places that do a hand crafted pizza that is pretty decent. If you are looking for ****ty pizza, try Ci Ci's.....all you can for about $5.00

Quote:
So what your saying is that my propensity to drive 10 to 15 over plus my new york plates means I am going to get pulled over often?
Yes

Old 10-30-2009, 10:28 AM

6,833 posts, read 11,571,034 times
Quote:
.....new york plates
I'm not sure how long you plan to be here, but you might consider biting the bullet and becoming a Oklahoma resident with OK plates, Drivers License, voter registration, income taxes, etc. From what I've heard about taxes/fees in New York, it will probably cost considerably less here than there.

And even if you decide to stay legally a New Yorker, be sure your auto insurance agent knows your car is in Oklahoma full time - you will get a break on your car insurance.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 AM

498 posts, read 1,607,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
And I will say this about OKC: I'm very much a "city" person and I've gotten the itch to maybe move to another larger city.
But since OKC is growing population-wise, not to mention the plethora of up-and-coming projects, would that change your desire to move to another larger city?

Only reason I'm asking is that in 2010 OKC proper will have 560,000+, average income is up, and I've got a serious gut feeling that population growth rate in OKC alone will see an increase next decade. Once the new numbers come out, there will be a lot of amenities in OKC that we couldn't get in 2000, let alone two years ago.

All of these tiny elements that aren't visible to the general public are coming together, and once all the of the variables are in place, OKC's population could very well take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma