Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Location: Where deer are milk cows and hoot owls are chickens and near where Big Foot is occasionally seen.
105 posts, read 398,401 times

Advertisements

Practice waving before you get here. The OKC area people are not much on waving, but if you go south of I-40 and east of I-35, expect to be waved at by strangers you meet driving the highways. The further southeast you go, the more waving you will get.

Oh, and what you call being "laid-back" is probably considered being "hyper" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM

16 posts, read 35,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
lol Don't worry about most of this Abe. Except for first two, and last one the pointers are for the people moving to the little hick towns and ranches outside of Oklahoma City.

Haha, that actually got me worried a little bit.

Um Church really isn't my thing, Muslim by birth although I'm Agnostic. Religion really isn't my thing.

I don't live in bars or anything but it is pretty much half of what we do in NY to be honest.

How prevalent are these tornadoes?

We don't do tornadoes in NY. We do Rain.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM

16 posts, read 35,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman09 View Post
Practice waving before you get here. The OKC area people are not much on waving, but if you go south of I-40 and east of I-35, expect to be waved at by strangers you meet driving the highways. The further southeast you go, the more waving you will get.

Oh, and what you call being "laid-back" is probably considered being "hyper" here.
Really, you guys wave at strangers?

That generally doesn't fly here, heh.

And the laid-back - hyper thing is probably going to be all too true.

-

Also I figured I'd be giving up good pizza and bagels by leaving NY but what about everything else food wise?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 PM

152 posts, read 370,915 times
You will find out what "Sonic" means!

Americas drive-in

SONIC®, America’s Drive-In® (http://www.sonicdrivein.com/home.jsp;jsessionid=D5D5B2EAEB3C1AEC3F4ECCC3AB6DDB 3F.sonic-prod - broken link)

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM

498 posts, read 1,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe2111 View Post

Also I figured I'd be giving up good pizza and bagels by leaving NY but what about everything else food wise?
There is plenty of good pizza and bagels in Oklahoma... well... in OKC and Tulsa anyway. I've been to NY before, and I feel that both places have good pizza. In OKC, good pizza can be found at Cafe 501 (gourmet pizza) in Edmond, and at the Hideaway. Also, try Sophabella's in OKC as well as Papa's Lil Italy in OKC.

New York Bagels is an Oklahoma-founded company started by two New Yorkers who went to OSU and in 1986 couldn't find a bagel shop anywhere in Stillwater. So, they solved the bagel cravings by starting up New York Bagels. Very good. Also, Panera Bread has VERY good bagels.

I don't think you have any reason for concern

Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 PM

Don't forget the "chicken fried steak" this can really confuse some folks!

The best are here: Del Rancho Restaurants: Home of the Steak Sandwich Supreme

Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 PM

Here is another place that will give you an idea of what you will find in Oklahoma!

CLICK HERE>>> About Us

Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,075,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Kid View Post
You will find out what "Sonic" means!

Americas drive-in

SONIC®, America’s Drive-In® (http://www.sonicdrivein.com/home.jsp;jsessionid=D5D5B2EAEB3C1AEC3F4ECCC3AB6DDB 3F.sonic-prod - broken link)

SONIC........YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

We think Sonic is just about the best there is in "Okie Eatin' " even though it isn't just an Okie thing. They make the absolute best foot long cheese coney with EVERYTHING on it there is in the whole wide world. And don't forget the Lime-aides with real limes in them.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 AM

6,842 posts, read 11,604,729 times
RE: Sonic - my 18 year old niece lives in Milwaukee which got its first Sonic within the past year. Police had to be called in to direct traffic when it first opened. Anyway, she loves it. Imagine her reaction when she came to visit me and there was a Sonic every mile or so. She was in heaven.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:43 PM

62 posts, read 219,352 times
Religion and family are massive here. It makes it tough for somebody from elsewhere who doesn't have religion or family here.

Very, very conservative. Shockingly so. Also very, very proud people. They generally won't hear a bad word about Oklahoma.

And yes, very slow pace. Everything is spread out - lots of open space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma